SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Making the .410 viable for defensive use- Remington Ultimate Defense buckshot
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making the .410 viable for defensive use- Remington Ultimate Defense buckshot Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Ouch

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Pretty neat

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
That does seem like a decent option if all one has is a 410 bore shotgun. I was surprised by how far the pellets penetrated, but because they don’t expand that should have been expected. The energy of each individual pellet isn’t that great, but the total is far higher than any common handgun round and the multiple wound paths would certainly help.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I mean. For a .410 if that's all someone has or can shoulder the recoil for. I'd say 10/10 it would certainly suck to get hit by it.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Wicked!

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
A .410 slug has more energy than a 44 magnum handgun if my memory is correct.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, rather than choosing a .410 for home defense, one might find that a .410 shotgun is the only firearm in the house, in which case an ammunition choice like this OOO buck load would be a real comfort.

But, if you did want to purchase a .410 to do the job, this five shot Rossi Circuit Judge might be the ticket. Do you think somebody makes a speedloader for this thing?

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It looks like some buffering material would be useful in preventing pellet deformation and making the pellets penetrate truer.

Pretty good if a .410 is your only choice.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
Think of it as five .35 cal (9MM is .355) pellets @ 1000 fps - A lot of energy if two or treee are pellets strike the target, let alone all 5.

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
This beautiful bastard is available in .410!

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Might be fun to see if I can squeeze the 2.5" length shells into my 444 Marlin for shits and giggles! Yes you can load and shoot some 2.5" 410 in 444 Marlin, but the pattern is usually awful because the rifling. These might not be so bad since the shot is all lined up and will probably grab some rifling for some spin on the way out for accuracy. Of course, I don't know what 4 rounds of 60grain pellets will do over a single 240+grain bullet going a LOT faster in the real world, but might be fun to play with on something like watermelons!

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
Might be fun to see if I can squeeze the 2.5" length shells into my 444 Marlin ....

If you can do that it would be interesting to learn the results.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My thinking of this particular 410 load is along the same lines as Mikus36 said. I'd refer to it as a five shot burst from a 9mm SMG.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The performance of the individual pellets of that 410 Bore load don’t begin to approach the terminal ballistics of the 9mm Luger. Depending upon their actual velocity, each lightweight (~68 grains) pellet develops about 180 foot-pounds of energy and they don’t expand like good 9mm bullets. A standard pressure 124 grain hollow point 9mm load bullet at 1100 feet per second develops well over 300 ft-lb of energy. In addition to the much different characteristics of the projectiles themselves, the 410 load produces a total of about 900 ft-lb of energy with its five pellets; a five-shot burst of the standard pressure 9mm delivers over 1600 ft-lb. If a 9mm +P load at 1200 fps were used, the total energy of five shots would be nearly 2000 ft-lb.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Will make my Springfield M6 more interesting as a back country truck gun.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Will make my Springfield M6 more interesting as a back country truck gun.
Excellent. A box of this Remington stuff and a box of #8 birdshot would be my choice. I'd be interested in seeing how your little popper patterns with this OOO buck load.

This stuff isn't cheap, though (surprise!) The lowest price I find on it is 1.87 per shell, and most places are asking well over two bucks. Sold in 15 round boxes. You could end up paying close to 40 bucks for a box of this stuff. My, my.

posted Hide Post
Unfortunately my speakers crapped out,how far did he say the distance to the gel was on the table? How does the pellet size compare to that of a 12 gauge 000 buck? I wonder how the recoil would be from a S&W Governor,seriously, but I can only imagine.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
He said he shot from 5 yards.
Pellet sizes based on their numbers should be a recognized standard regardless of the gauge of the shotshell being used. The nominal size of 000 pellets is 0.36". For comparison the size of more common 00 buck is 0.33".

6.4/93.6

— Plato