SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bullpup or self built AR to stay legal.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullpup or self built AR to stay legal. Login/Join 
posted
The evil one who should not be named had decreed that I can not buy an evil black rifle in this state.

But I am allowed to buy bullpups and I am allowed to make an evil black rifle by parts.

I have never built an AR.

Is there a good reliable bullpup.

I am not sure I would want to trust my life to a rifle put together as a first time project.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
The X95 is a very nice, modern bull pup design with good aftermarket support for parts, service and accessories. If your unsure about building your own AR, that would be my recommendation.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
The evil one who should not be named had decreed that I can not buy an evil black rifle in this state.

But I am allowed to buy bullpups and I am allowed to make an evil black rifle by parts.

I am not sure I would want to trust my life to a rifle put together as a first time project.

When you say you can make it with parts, I'ma assuming this means a stripped lower? Or is it a barrel, rail, stripped lower...etc?

Assembling a LPK isn't that hard, I've done it a handful of times and I'm an idiot. It's all about having the right tools.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the X95. After shooting the AR for so long it took a bit to get used to the bullpup but now I really can appreciate it. I thought about an SBR’d AR but did not want the paperwork so I tried the X95 and have no regrets! Also, building a reliable AR should not be an issue, there are many good tutorials out there as well as excellent parts.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
iwi tavor/x95 are considered reliable. having a sar, i truly enjoy.

steyr aug can also never be ignored, also have one.

current pricing puts them pretty close. x95 use to have a 300-500 cost advantage, looks like thats narrowed if you shop around. i believe either will work well and with little issue. (barring simple bad luck)

Posts: 774 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
AUGs & Tavors/X95s... Can’t go wrong. My home defense carbine is a Tavor SAR with an Aimpoint PRO. I prefer bullpups to conventional carbines for home defense. They are very size efficient. They offer full power for the 5.56 round due to the barrel length compared to an SBR. They are easy to operate one handed.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:

Sooo, what State are we talking about here? Seems you overlooked sharing that minor Critical detail so we all know exactly what's verboten... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Behind enemy lines in Massachusetts when I am not in Florida.

I want MA compliant so I don't get jammed up coming here half the year.

A dealer is selling these:

LMT Defender 2000 Stripped Lower - $500
- LMT Defender COMPLETE Lower - $1100
- LMT MARS-L Lower (fully ambidextrous LPK internals factory installed) - $800
- LMT MARS-L with trigger guard and LPK installed - 850$
- LMT MARS-L Complete lower with SOPMOD STOCK 1500$

I have no clue if these are a good deal or not.

Or what do do with them.

Most pre ban finished ARs are going for $2000 and up do to the Ban.

Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Do these receivers need to be on a MA list or something?

Because those prices are laughable. For reference: in another post here, a member just got a complete LMT MRP rifle for like $1300, so $1100 for a complete lower is highway robbery, unless you are limited to a very small list of approved receivers.

A LPK is way less than $100 and even a SOPMOD stock and buffer don't remotely add up to $500, so how someone can charge $600 for "completing" a lower, based on the prices you listed, is beyond me.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Here's a thread where SIGforum member from 'Behind Enemy Lines' in the same GDC State decided on a Sig MCX. It requires a few 'modifications' for MA compliance, but definitely seems like an option worthy of consideration! Wink

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/2400017474

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the X95. I put an EOTech XPS2 and a Streamlight on mine and and I think it makes a great all around self defense rifle. It’s shorter OAL than my 10.5” barrel AR.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I think a bullpup is great for a home defense gun, and they fly under the legal radar in a lot of states with really stupid restrictions. I would think it hard to go wrong with either an X95 or an Aug and a quality red dot. Fwiw as a qualifier for my opinion, my HD rifle is an FS2000, but being discontinued, expensive and niche, it's not what I'd recommend.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I left MA because of this nonsense. You don't say which State is your residence, but assuming you can get the relevant license to possess this. I don't see how under MA law a built gun from an AR Clone receiver solves anything. But OK I'm dumb. But there are a bunch that do. And the Travor, FS2000, mini14 etc. so.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Kel Tec RDB

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This dealer has either found a way to cheat the system or filled up his safe with lowers waiting for a time like this to unload at sky high prices.

Pre Healy registered prices are off the wall.

I found out that all guns are registered in MA when you transfer them they go into a database.

Even private sales are listed you fill out a form to transfer a gun in MA and that is loaded in the database.

Any evil black rifle must have been registered to be transferred in the state before the ban.

posted Hide Post
As someone with three home built AR's I have to say that they are very easy to put together. In addition if you build your own you can end up with a higher quality rifle than one that is already assembled.

For example I have a 20 inch rifle that features a 20 inch Shilen barrel with 223 Wylde, chamber , Timney single stage 3 lbs. trigger, Nikon 3-12X scope and a Gibbz Arms side charging upper. Off a rest I've shot consecutive 5 shot groups under 3/10 inch with a hand load tuned to this rifle.

As for the other two, one is a 16 inch in 223 Wylde and the other is a 16 inch 300 Blackout. They also feature Gibbz Handguards and Timney Single State 3 lbs. triggers. They are also equipped with iron sights.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm an Aug man myself, hard to argue with 16" ballistics in a 10.5" sized gun that has years of R&D and takes 42 rd mags. I'm sure someone will try though. Youre also not beating on your components nearly as hard as a 10.5 gun.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Building an AR is as simple as can be. Buy a bare lower plus a parts kit. Assembling the lower with a parts kit will take you 20-30 minutes the first time, and 5 minutes after doing a few.

Then buy a complete upper, takes 60 seconds to install on the lower.

I have a Tavor, but prefer the AR's. Have several where I purchased Seekins lowers, which are extremely good. For uppers I have two POF 415's, plus a Colt 6920.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Building AR is simple if you can follow instructions. I own a Tavor though as well and for HD it is tough to beat. A full size rifle performance that takes up SBR size limits. Unlike an AR it is also proportioned such that keeping it shouldered and on target while leaving the other hand free to use phone, aid family, etc can’t be overstated.

The X95 is an improvement over my Tavor.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MDRx in FDE meets your requirements. However the waiting list for a new one is long.

Posts: 37 | Registered: September 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post