SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Building an AR15
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building an AR15 Login/Join 
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Using a pair of pliers worked for installing the bolt catch pin.
I picked up a set of Wheeler bolt catch punch's when I replaced the bolt catch's with Geissele ones. They have a rubber coating on them which is nice. No muss no fuss, out with old and in with the new.

If you are building from scratch and the barrel isn't dimpled for a set screw I would spend $50 or so on a dimple jig.
I have them in a couple sizes.
Been think about securing the gas block with a coil pin now, the jig isn't much and covers all of mine.
https://brdengineering.com/pro...s-block-drilling-jig
He has a video on using it, doesn't look terribly complicated and makes it bomb proof.
They have other tools as well.

For an upper receiver rod the MWI is hard to beat, barrel nuts, muzzle devices, etc.
https://www.primaryarms.com/mi...s-upper-receiver-rod

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Roll pins and spring detents don't require an engineering degree to install.
No shit.

Marking up an AR receiver during assembly is a drag. It sounds like you might need a degree yourself, if you don't understand this.

Shortcuts of using pliers for roll pin installation and the like- that's for people who have assembled an AR or two, and I still wouldn't do it. One slip is all it takes. First-timers are well-advised to take their time and do it right using proper tools, and then, once they've been through the process, they are better able to decide which shortcuts to take.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend a Shooboy hammer. Randy is a member here, makes them himself, they’re excellent quality. I’m a very satisfied customer.

I don’t think he’s posted lately but you could email him.

Shooboy Link read the amazing comments

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've acquired just about everything I need to properly assemble ARs over the years, but the one thing I wouldn't want to be without is that flat-sided punch from Brownells for the bolt catch pin. That thing is awesome, and there's nothing else out there like it. I can do just about everything else from my automotive toolbox if I have to, but there's no substitute for that thing. Well worth the $15 or whatever I paid for it.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, there's not enough clearance when using a standard punch, unless you angle the punch a bit, which is a great way to mark up an AR receiver. Ask me how I know.

There is satisfaction in doing it right.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ve done the older ‘stripped’ lowers, put the ‘roll pins’ into place. I think that’s going away with many now. The last few did not require any of the traditional roll pins, it seemed almost to easy. I’m talking the lower.

Another way to make it fun is get a few specialty parts along the way. As an example, you can get the ‘lower parts kit’ without a trigger, maybe no pistol grip either, then get one if your choosing.

That way you don’t have to add a better trigger later. I got a few of the ‘velocity’ triggers, low cost, big improvement. Yeah, depends some on planned use.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a handy punch for not marring receivers, ten bucks.

https://www.kakindustry.com/walts-tool

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I actually really like that tool. I used to put the pins in with a channel lock to start and then tap them in but that is a great tool idea. It will save you you from marking/scratching your lower, as I have done. Knowing what I know now, I would have invested in a few more tools like those stated, as most are pretty cheap but make things much easier. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. Besides, it is an investment in your quality time together.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t be shy with layering some masking or painters tape on the lower. A small bump or tap will go through a layer and still show on the receiver. Double, triple, quadruple it up. Tape is cheap.

-Jeff

Posts: 170 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xtbone97x:
Don’t be shy with layering some masking or painters tape on the lower. A small bump or tap will go through a layer and still show on the receiver. Double, triple, quadruple it up. Tape is cheap.

-Jeff

I use a double layer of black electrical tape.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

-Jeff

+1 on the tape. I use blue painters tape. The depth of finishing on a lot of lowers leaves something to be desired so as XT say...load it up!

Posts: 584 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
honestly, I was taught by someone that did it for a living,

good bench
good vice
good set of barrel blocks for the vice
barrel wrench (USGI is the best bar none, )
1/2 inch torque wrench, then later if you do enough you will put that aside for a breaker bar

good set of roll pin punches
good set of standard punches
Brownell's screw driver/ bit assortment ( you can get by with a simple big screw driver, flat blade)
smallish ball peen hammer
brass drift
forceps, or similar to hold the pins

enjoy

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:

-Jeff

tape works, but a business or similar folded works well too

I use a double layer of black electrical tape.

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Come across this interesting multi-tool early this morning.

Multiple function, bolt catch roll pin and front takedown pin installation tool.
Good video included in the photos section at the below link.

ROLL PIN WIZARD - RPW
https://palmettostatearmory.co...-pin-wizard-rpw.html

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty nifty tool and only $15

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I think I assembled my last lower with a pair of channel locks and a pocket screwdriver. Specialty tools are neato but not necessary.
Yeah, that's great advice for a first-timer, huh?

BB61, don't be a cowboy. Take your time and do it right. Then, when you've assembled a few, you can brag about assembling one with two toothpicks and a ballpoint pen.

Sound advice Boss!!! I won't.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are doing uppers the one tool you need is a reaction rod. And if you aren't a normally mechanically inclined person with a decent touch for how tight is tight a torque wrench.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
So I linked up with Chris and he walked me through the necessary parts and briefly showed me their purposes. I of course still need to take the class but it was helpful to start getting the idea of how the process works.

Boss, I thought you would appreciate that he had a large roll of blue painters' tape to protect the receiver.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
One piece that is a major headache reducer is a slave pin to hold the disconnector in the trigger. Geissele includes one with their triggers to aid in assembly. You could also just buy a spare trigger pin, cut it in half, and chamfer the ends.

This way you don't have to try to line up the disconnector, trigger, and line it up with the pin holes of the receiver all at the same time.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post