SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Finally got the precision.22 LR together!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally got the precision.22 LR together! Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I was pretty set on a CZ Varmint and put it in a chassis or a Bergara but the Bergara was hard to come by. While I was looking around, I stumbled into a Bergara B14 Trainer barreled action with the carbon wrapped barrel.

Put that into a KRG Bravo Chassis, installed a Athlon Midas TAC FFP 6-26x50 scope on. I still need to add some spacers to the stock for length and get a bag.

Shot some Federal AutoMatch through it and sighted it in. One hole at 25yrds and close at to one hole at 50 but me I’m sure it’s my lack of consistency.

I think I’ll add an adjustable trigger for a lighter pull and then practice and practice.

I’ve got some SK ammo on the way so that should help.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8342 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Damn, nice looking rifle you've got there... Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nhracecraft,

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8858 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vipers28
posted Hide Post
I grabbed the CZ457 Varmint, it's a shooter! Easy to set up and running Eley match with it.

Posts: 769 | Location: H6 | Registered: December 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I wanted to get CZ 457 Varmit MTR, but couldn't find one so I picked up this older CZ Rifle to shoot some fun matches at my club. One of the guys upgraded my trigger and that helped a lot. I have shot some pretty good groups with Federal Bulk ammo.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any evaluation of a long range precision.22 is worthless without use of good quality standard velocity ammunition ( eley SK lapua rws )
Without good quality standard velocity ammo ( auto match is junk essentially) you can’t say anything about the capability of the rifle

Posts: 3281 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
This I know. A series of errors left me with no SK ammo. I have some being delivered and was going to borrow some from my friend but neither happened.

I’ll try to figure out some photo hosting again.

Shot my first NRL22 match and stunk it up. Lack of experience using a rear bag, trouble finding the targets in time, getting into a good steady position.

I’m struggling to get a smooth pull on the trigger. Right as it trips I come off target.

Posts: 8342 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:

I’m struggling to get a smooth pull on the trigger. Right as it trips I come off target.

I'm fortunate to have spent a bunch of time learning this stuff from local High Master High Power shooter. He spent winters/off season shooting a 22 standing offhand at an indoor range.

Suggest to spend a good bit of your time practicing shooting standing offhand. Good way to learn trigger timing, follow through for positional shooting. Take just a few shots, put the rifle down, relax, repeat. Take a shot within a few seconds, longer you wait... NEVER be able to hold perfect on a target, no one can, we're always moving. You'll find out what works best for you as far as trigger timing. I break the trigger moving left to right, others when going down.... When moving L-R and if I break the trigger when on the center of the target, most likely a miss right because I'm moving as I break the trigger. I'm breaking the trigger on the left side of the target. I sometimes go by the target a 2-3 times to settle into a rhythm or speed. Hope that makes sense.

Practice getting into various positions efficiently. The faster you get into position the more time you have to relax and get into that rhythm, look at the wind....

Have fun!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lack of experience using a rear bag, trouble finding the targets in time, getting into a good steady position.

You tried something new and pushed your boundaries. Things don't always go as planned. Offgrid's statements are good -- take them to heart.

Also, consider a lot of dry fire practice -- first from stable positions, then from increasing less stable positions. Don't dry fire with your rimfire rifle(s). Dry fire with a centerfire bolt action or AR or whatever. You want a trigger press that goes straight to the rear, without disturbing the sight picture, throughout the trigger press process.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with off grid as well.
I shoot nrl22 also and the positions are for me the toughest part. I don’t have a lot of bag experience either bring an old bullseye high power nad small bore shooter when I was ( a lot) younger. Getting in and out of position as we age never gets easier.
I also shot a silhouette match this weekend. My personal observation is after settling on target, get that shot off in under 5 seconds.
In every case I saw shooters hold longer they missed

Posts: 3281 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Don’t get me wrong, I still had a good time. I see this growing and possibly into centerfire long range range. My buddy has a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle he keeps insisting I borrow and shoot with him. I’ve signed up for an NRL22X match that will have targets at 400yrds. That will be a good time.

Thanks for the tips. I do find the quicker I break the shot the better, within reason.

I’m used to USPSA and limited carbine matches and it’s just a little different, haha. Wink

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I see Rifles Only offers a class for Rimfire. https://www.riflesonly.com/rifles-only-rimfire- academy-2-day

It’s full in Colorado this year with no further dates announced.

I’ll be rereading the long range thread here and be shopping for some basic stuff like a good mat and log book.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Now with photo.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I see Rifles Only offers a class for Rimfire.

I've attended a number of courses with Rifles Only ("RO"). Haven't been to a rimfire class, but I suspect it would have the same high quality as RO's other offerings.

RO classes focus on the fundamentals, regardless of the whether the class is geared towards beginning shooters or advanced competitors/LEO/agency. Not everyone is completely thrilled with this concept. Jacob Bynum (who owns and runs RO) has his style and it works for many shooters. I attended a fairly advanced RO course in December. Off and on, I wasn't shooting as well I as had hoped -- from unstable positions, at moving targets, and from moving positions. I went back to the basics of building a solid shooting position and a natural point of aim, and my accuracy improved noticeably.

Hopefully you can find an opening in the RO schedule.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Ordered the Rifles Only intro video.

Now I need to start getting some field gear like a mat and logbook. I’ll pick up an Atlas bipod as well.

posted Hide Post
What is your goal with a logbook? Will you use a Kestrel (or similar electronic device) in the field for elevation and windage dope for shots of varying distances, or will you pre-printed dope cards from a ballistics program?

I started with data log books, IIRC from Impact Data. Ended up throwing out maybe half of the pages in the starter set. Ultimately the most important thing for me know is elevation & windage dope, for various ammo, for various density altitudes. I've been a bit lazy with my logbooks, but sometime I need toss most of the old dope data that I so carefully printed for the logbooks, and revise it for the way I use ballistics data now.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Really just an organized way to record a session as I learn. Weather, altitude, distances etc.

I don’t have a Kestrel or anything yet.

posted Hide Post
I can highly recommend a Colorado Precision Rifle Baseline bag. Will make using a rear bag way way easier.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Lots of longer range targets this weekend. Had good luck on the 200-400 yard stage. Up to 17.8 mils and 1.5 mils wind. Shooting from a bipod and with rear bag. Thankful for the help from experienced shooters.

I want a heavier rear bag and preferably a spigot mount to get the bipod out more. Otherwise, the gun is solid.

posted Hide Post
I shoot nrl22 as well with a Tikka t1x in a modified mdt hs3 chassis or a sig 522 20". I want to put together a bergara like yours but with the carbon tube unless a cheap vudoo falls from the sky

Posts: 107 | Registered: December 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lots of longer range targets this weekend. Had good luck on the 200-400 yard stage. Up to 17.8 mils and 1.5 mils wind. Shooting from a bipod and with rear bag. Thankful for the help from experienced shooters.

I want a heavier rear bag and preferably a spigot mount to get the bipod out more. Otherwise, the gun is solid.

Three bags I use.

Armageddon Game Changer. Positional matches, use as a prone bag as well if only one bag is allowed. The Fortune Cookie is a very similar bag, I prefer the GC. Several around me use the Bison Tactical Utter bag for a positional only bag.

Two other bags had for many years, no longer available. Mostly prone. The Traust rear bag MileHigh offers is about the same. There's others that are very similar. One of the bags has the original light weight fill the other changed to heavy fill, about 5-6 lbs. Bought the fill at Bison Tactical, locks together very well yet still allows to squeeze for elevation change, like it a lot, very solid. HW if humping my stuff around 2 miles, LW for longer. These bags are great for supporting the rifle and also for supporting my upper body/shoulder a little bit. Took me awhile to get accustom to using a larger bag and how to use them.

It easy to see the difference between bags by simply looking through your scope at a target. For prone put up a 1/4" dot at 100yds or so, see how still you can get on the target. Same drill (larger target) works for messing with different set ups for positional shooting, learn a lot with out firing a live round!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post