SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I want an AUG
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want an AUG Login/Join 
posted
I’ve been thinking about an AUG lately. I know the real deal steyers are out there. I just don’t want the flat top, like the original optical better.

If anyone has an MSAR. If it breaks. Are you boned? Saw a few around and maybe good to pick one up?

Appreciate thoughts.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Augs are great rifles. I initially thought I wanted one that took AR mags but it turns out the Steyr mags are great. I have a flattop but the nice thing is you can toss a lvpo on it and it's pretty close to the original intent.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Anubismp,

Posts: 3040 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I’ve had an MSAR and now have a brand new AUG A3. MSAR was a fine rifle but was to me sort of like the Sig 556 when you really wanted a Sig 551. No support that I know of for the MSAR.

Posts: 5999 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my Steyr AUG A3 M1. They produced a 1977 Commemorative model a few years ago that looks like the old pre-ban AUGs. Pretty scarce and expensive, though.

Posts: 152 | Registered: December 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a MSAR years ago when Rat Works was still supporting them but traded it out for something else. Some people have had great performance with their MSAR but I didn't like the part of having no support in case I had a bad one. I would add if your going to get a AUG, get a AUG not a copy. It is better to cry once, than to have a rifle that can no longer be used due to a broken/missing part. Just my experience.

I had and prefer the flat top/railed version, as it is more versatile than the fixed optic. While it looks more traditional with the fixed optic Steyr designed for it, I felt it was limiting and not as easy/quick to sight in/shoot but to each his own.

I've had a couple FS2000 rifles as well, with both the factory optic and flat top and always preferred the flat top/railed version for versatility.

Posts: 6836 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I have an AUG M1A3 and I love the rifle. It’s light, handy and sbr short. The trigger is nothing to write home about though. I would agree with the advice of getting a flat top. The factory 1.5x optic looks cool but isn’t that great. I would also stay away from the MSAR, if something breaks it would suck to have an expensive paperweight.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience owning the aug design started with the msar as well. I loved it. Great rifle. But I was afraid to have it long term so I replaced it with two Styer aug’s which I absolutely love. Both are flat top I have a Leupold cq/t on one and a Steiner 1x4 on the other. I have also used a Eotech 512 and an Aimpoint Pro on them and was happy with them all. All of mine were Steyr magazine rifles. There was a change in mag design and Steyr replaced my old ones with new ones for free. Their service is super, fast and always someone there to talk too. I could not be happier with Steyr’s service. I would say take your time and find a decent deal on a true Steyr aug and don’t look back if you want an aug.

All that being said I have never gotten as good groups with my aug’s as my JP ar15’s. But I sure do love sure do love them the most.

JAMES 3:1
USPSA life member

Posts: 270 | Location: Indian River Shores, Florida | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
I’ve had an MSAR and now have a brand new AUG A3. MSAR was a fine rifle but was to me sort of like the Sig 556 when you really wanted a Sig 551. No support that I know of for the MSAR.

Oooof. I have been to that movie. Great analogy. Off to gunbroker.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I LOVE my AUG. A lot. Only two minor gripes. The trigger is merely OK. It's not as terrible as some would lead you to believe, but a single stage match trigger is isn't. You also need to stick a strip of tape or velcro behind the ejection port or cases will start dinging up the stock pretty quick. Other than those minor issues, it's a fantastic, handy, and accurate rifle.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had two Austrians…a 20” 903 series and a 16” 906. Miss the 906, but their trade/sale got me into the FA game. One day I will get a 16” AUG back into the safe!

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 659 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
I like my Aug but i did change the charging handle with a Gearworks and it is much easier to operate. I also got the left hand bolt for my son it is easy to change but the ejection port cover is a pain.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy the A3M1 with factory 3x optic, then buy a separate Corvus m1 optic rail. You’ll want one of the Steyr optics just to have it. But the optic rail is a better optic functionally and the integral QD sling swivels of the Corvus rail make for the best sling setup. Go with the standard stock that uses Austrian pattern mags. And consider buying a spare NATO stock just to have.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2313 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
The AUG was ahead of its time and is now coming into general acceptance. I've had a few different AUG's over the last 20+ years, have never gotten around to buying an A3 or any of the various designations ... I've had the original design with the fixed optic, the Special Receiver, which is a platform for attaching a NATO scope or picitinny rail, the USR which looks like the original design except the optic is removable for a picitinny rail, and what I settled on is the A2 which was an original fixed optic receiver sent back to Austria and replaced with the A2/USR type receiver but is considered pre-ban and has all the evil pre-ban features ... and being my eyes suck and the original optic is only .5X I use the picitinny rail with more powerful optic.

When you get one, the first thing you'll notice is the "bull-pup trigger" a bit spongy, long and heavy. There are a couple kits out there to lighten the trigger to around 5 pounds, I've got a Trigger Tamer and have always been completely happy with it ... the Ratworx came out with a upgraded sear which helps smooth and shorten the trigger pull, its the 2020 sear ... I'm not sure how it came up with its name as its been around long before 2020 ...

Lastly, while its true the original AUG mags are well made, I prefer the NATO stock which uses NATO/AR mags ... in addition to the original mag release in front of the mag, there is also a release button, which for me is more convenient.

Original optic

Suppressed with my preferred 4x & NATO stock

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the white A3 NATO models for a decent price. Now I looking to either get it black by ceracote or dyeing. Anyone know a good company to get mine properly black with a finish that will last? It’s be great to find nato black stock kits like we used to see a few years ago.

Posts: 5999 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought one of the white A3 NATO models for a decent price. Now I looking to either get it black by ceracote or dyeing. Anyone know a good company to get mine properly black with a finish that will last? It’s be great to find nato black stock kits like we used to see a few years ago.

How is the white color holding up?

rambo

Posts: 243 | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tonelar
posted Hide Post
Ive an A1 an A3 and a AXR TPD (closest to an A2)
They’re all great rifles, imho.

quote:
RIPbiker13:
...even a .22 in your pocket is better than a .45 in your truck.

Posts: 702 | Location: El Paso, TEXAS | Registered: March 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Leonidas you are looking for the Steyr STG77 as Navy mentioned above. Keep a vigilant eye on GB.com and you will see one come up. It has the original scope profile but the scope can be removed and replaced with another optic on the pic rail underneath.

HK Ag

Posts: 3491 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rambo:
quote:

How is the white color holding up?

rambo

So far it’s come off with cleaning. Aside from the tape behind the ejection port to catch the brass kiss marks its still white. To be fair though, I’ve only shot it a total of two hours altogether and even then I’m conservative with my ammo. No rifle matches. I went into this figuring I’ll get it colored one way or another.

posted Hide Post
A good buddy of mine has an AUG and I've sighted it in for him as he changed his optics several times over the years. Probably one of the most accurate 5.56 weapons I've ever fired.

Posts: 787 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
The AUG was ahead of its time and is now coming into general acceptance. I've had a few different AUG's over the last 20+ years, have never gotten around to buying an A3 or any of the various designations ... I've had the original design with the fixed optic, the Special Receiver, which is a platform for attaching a NATO scope or picitinny rail, the USR which looks like the original design except the optic is removable for a picitinny rail, and what I settled on is the A2 which was an original fixed optic receiver sent back to Austria and replaced with the A2/USR type receiver but is considered pre-ban and has all the evil pre-ban features ... and being my eyes suck and the original optic is only .5X I use the picitinny rail with more powerful optic.

When you get one, the first thing you'll notice is the "bull-pup trigger" a bit spongy, long and heavy. There are a couple kits out there to lighten the trigger to around 5 pounds, I've got a Trigger Tamer and have always been completely happy with it ... the Ratworx came out with a upgraded sear which helps smooth and shorten the trigger pull, its the 2020 sear ... I'm not sure how it came up with its name as its been around long before 2020 ...

Lastly, while its true the original AUG mags are well made, I prefer the NATO stock which uses NATO/AR mags ... in addition to the original mag release in front of the mag, there is also a release button, which for me is more convenient.

Original optic

Suppressed with my preferred 4x & NATO stock

Kimberkid, how does it run suppressed? Did you have to go with the suppressor gas plug? I’ve toyed with the idea of running my Omega36m on my AUG, but I haven’t run down all the parts I would need to make it work.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post