SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR upper lower wobble
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR upper lower wobble Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
On one RRA lower, the upper is side to side wobbly with three different uppers. I heard of a wedge that tightens things. Is the wedge available and worthwhile?

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I’ve never used one, but it seems cheap enough to give it a try and find out for yourself.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100340833

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The “Accu-Wedge” (or whatever it’s called) has been around for a long time, and I’ve used them off and on for many years. The claim is that they improve an AR’s precision, and although I have no proof of that because I’ve never conducted any side by side tests with and without, I always think of the old joke about giving chicken soup to the dead guy: “Could it hurt?”

I also found that my Wilson Combat model Protector S rifle came from the factory with something similar, a rubbery insert in the lower receiver that the upper presses against when they’re assembled. The WC is quite accurate for that type of rifle and I must believe that if the company goes to the trouble of including the feature, it must be for some reason.

One thing I do know is that the Accu-Wedge puts pressure against the upper and if nothing else probably reduces movement wear between the upper and lower. And of course they’re practically free, so why not?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I use the Accuwedge on some of my ARs. If your receiver is a high-shelf, an Accuwedge will not fit- no room for it. My Rock River Arms lower is a high-shelf.

Otherwise, on ARs that have more play than I care to tolerate, I'll put in one of these little gadgets. If the fit is too tight, the Accuwedge can be trimmed easily. I've had to do this on a couple.

Does this gadget increase accuracy, as the name suggests? I'd be surprised if it did. All it does is remove wobble. At one time, Colt sold the Accuwedge- for something like four times the cost of the plain old Accuwedge, which was exactly the same part.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used the wedge as well. Sometimes you might have to adjust/cut the wedge height to get the proper fit but that is no problem as they are made of rubber.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Related aside. I recently picked up an Aero lower for a project gun, and was surprised to see 2 holes in the grip area.

Upon further investigation, it seems that Aero took the idea of the Accuwedge and incorporated it into their lowers. There's a special rubber tipped grub screw in there whose entire purpose is to put pressure on the back takedown lug of the upper receiver to reduce/remove receiver play. Obviously you'd need to tune this to your upper.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the wobble affect function, accuracy, precision of upper?

Are we talking a little bit of wobble or can you physically see a shift in your sights/optic?

Every manufacturer is different in their tolerances. Some are tighter, some aren’t. If you get multiple manufacturers who are on the “looser” end of specs, this is what you’ll experience.

Honestly, if it isn’t affecting the above things, I wouldn’t worry about it.

quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
On one RRA lower, the upper is side to side wobbly with three different uppers. I heard of a wedge that tightens things. Is the wedge available and worthwhile?

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Don't hedge, does the wedge give accuracy an edge as the sellers allege, or is that a false pledge?

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I put an eccentric front pin on one of my ARs to tighten it up.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes I’ve used the wedge. Another thing you can do is put all or part of a foam earplug under there, or a suitable cut of compressible material.

Now days I’m more likely to make my own than use an accu-wedge.

Accuracy issues aside, I don’t like excessive wobble.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Never tried it myself, but I've heard that some people put an o-ring around the rear lug to take up the slop.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
electrical tape on the lower where it closes at the front or rear or the lower deck is an old school cure,

but honestly, why worry until you shoot it,
it is does what it is supposed to do, then move one and enjoy

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Acu-wedge works great. They also sell shims for the front, they work but are a pain to deal with it you take your rifle apart alot. There's the "o-ring trick" you can use up front as well. I've used the opposing/expanding rear pin that... JP maybe? makes/made. Works well, but another pain as you need tools to take the gun apart. I've also peened the lugs on uppers to tighten the fit a few times, but you might not want to do that.

The wobble shouldn't effect accuracy at all, or at least to any real life noticeable amount, but it drives me crazy and that's much worse.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have quite a few somewhere in my workbench. Email me and I will send you some to try.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I’ve always used the JP Enterprise eccentric pin … it’s a two piece pin that pulls the upper & lower together rather than push them apart like the wedge. The down side it that it requires a small wrench to tighten it up.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Don't hedge, does the wedge give accuracy an edge as the sellers allege, or is that a false pledge?

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a hard no on needing a wrench to disassemble an AR.

I bought some stripped lowers years ago that had a set screw inset into that low shelf with a rubberized tip. You would put the upper and lower together and then screw it in till they were at your preferred snugness.

My new LWRC came with that set screw hole but no set screw. They used an accuwedge type device with a molded pin that fits in that screw hole. Fancy accuwedge.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wobble is a non-issue. Just shoot it.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
Wobble is a non-issue. Just shoot it.

I am in this camp. One thing that drives me nuts about the accu-wedge is it maximizes the gap between the two receivers. Being able to see through the gun like that irks me. The wobble and the sliver of light are both things you only notice in administrative handling. If you're using the gun, you won't notice either, IME. If we're splitting hairs, you could argue the slop accelerates wear of the lugs, as previously mentioned, or that the propped-open gap acts as an ingress for debris. My sloppiest gun is coincidentally the one I shoot the most. It is a former LE gun, with unknown round count and abuse history. It is no sloppier than some guns you see on the gun store shelves, so the wear is probably not a huge concern.

Posts: 2086 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I don't like stuff flopping around.
An o-ring around the front lug works ok.
Lowers with the adjuster works well.

One of mine flopped like a rag doll.
I was going to try the JP oversize pins. https://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPTDP-223-SET
But I had a PSA take down pin that was way over sized so I turned it down till it slid in.
Pin slides in and out easy and it locks up solid.

Take down pin removal.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post