SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR upper lower wobble
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR upper lower wobble Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I notice the wobbling when using them. lol It might be the type of person you are or the way your brain works. Strange how that can work, I've gotten hurt in matches, fell going up a stairs once during a stage, tore my pants wide open and bleeding pretty bad. Never noticed till I was gathering mags after the stage. Maybe it was because my focus was on the fall, my trigger finger and muzzle direction as it was happening.
Conversely, mid stage I would notice little things like "I must have lost my accuwedge". Notice stupid little things. Actually thinking to myself in the middle of frantic action as if I were having a conversation "The right grip screws are loose, I can feel the grip moving in recoil." (very common and somehow a big distraction for me) Under stress/adrenaline, narrow focus in some areas and hyper focus in others.

Hate hate hate the wobble. (also can't stand off center sights Wink )

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am with you, when it comes to off-center sights! I'll deal with some wobble, but my sights attached to that wobbly upper better be friggen centered and straight.

Posts: 2130 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never replaced a takedown pin and not even sure why that part would need to be replaced but that "takedown tool" was slick. Of course that is a fancy name for an allen head screw with a dremeled flat but that allows Brownells to charge a bunch I am sure. Do your takedown pins wear a lot?

Posts: 7444 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I would suspect that normally the pins don't need to come out.

But if you need to that's a slick way to get them out.
I already had several allen keys so it was just a few swipes with a file.

Stocks that wiggle is another one I can't leave alone.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
I would suspect that normally the pins don't need to come out.

But if you need to that's a slick way to get them out.
I already had several allen keys so it was just a few swipes with a file.

Stocks that wiggle is another one I can't leave alone.

It's been 25 years or so ago when I was wanting to build the most accurate rifle I could. I was building up this Bushmaster receiver with mostly JP parts which included their "JP AR Tension Pin" shown in the receiver above. The reason I bought it was because I read an article by Jeff Cooper and he said (and I'm paraphrasing here) a rifle that is loose in the stock will never reach its accuracy potential. Originally I was using a A2 stock, I don't think MagPul existed back then either. Also I was using a Colt 5 round mag with a Sinclare Single round sled so every round would be chambered the same as the previous.

I experimented with a military trigger to make a lighter 2-stage (to the best of my knowledge a light 2-stage trigger wasn't a "thing" yet. There were light triggers, but I wanted a fool proof light 2-stage. What I came up with, I put the safety on and took up the slack then click off the safety and 2 pounds of pressure to release the hammer.
I also took a couple hundred weighed prepped & primed Lake City brass and weighed Sierra 69HPBTM molly bullets along with my digital scale and my RCBS RL5 to the range to develop a load varying seating depth and powder charge ... my intension was to make every bullet exactly like the others in that group.
When I came up with a load that at 100 yards, put 5 rounds that I cover with a dime, repeatedly.

Make no mistake, I was on a solid bench, using sandbags front & rear ... I'm not that good of a shot otherwise. The whole purpose was so that when I was practicing for a match, I could only blame any error on myself because I knew it wasn't the gun or ammo. Even my breathing made a difference.

I also built it to take this out to shoot prairie dogs

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
The wiggle bugs me. On my sig 556 rifles, I just smash a foam ear plug at the rear of the upper where it pivots down into the lower by the rear pin. Problem solved.

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1948 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post