SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Home Defense AR15 Must Haves?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Defense AR15 Must Haves? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I’m with the majority. A decent WML, 2pt quick adjust sling and a RDS that’s always on. I appreciate irons but the RDS is just so much better with no downside IMHO.

I have been impressed with all my vanilla GI AR triggers. Spent my life in the Army with M16A2 then M4 3rd burst triggers, those suck.

I bought an old 90s Colt lower to make a semi-clone of the “Car 15” I was issued in the Ranger Regt early 90s. It has an amazing trigger, just well worn in I guess.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Must have: Light, sling, iron sights.

Current setup: LE6920, KAC RAS w/vert grip, Blue Force Gear Sling, SSA, NF NX8, Surefire M600, SOPMOD stock.

quote:
Originally posted by Brother:
What are your "must haves" for your go to "bump in the night" home defense AR 15, I mean serious use, protecting your life and your family members' lives from ruthless pieces of shit/miscreants?

BUIS? Optic? Certain mfgr/capacity mag? Light? Mil spec trigger vs Geissele etc? Locking trigger pins? Adjustable gas block or not? Grip angle? Sling? Night vision? Flash hider? Suppressed? Ammo? Weight vs balance? Other?

I ask to learn (because I trust Sig Forum members a helluva lot)! Thanks. Tom

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Must haves: gen M3 Magpul 30 rd magazine, a Surefire (or quality) light. A reliable carbine that’s been tested thoroughly.

Red dot is nice to have for night time. Sling I could care less about in a home environment.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Sling I could care less about in a home environment.
How many hands do you have?

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Survey says!: Light and sling, yep, gotta have that shit . . . .

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Seriously...75% of folks living in a 3/2 with 1200-1400 sq ft.

You dont need optics/sights at all in reality.

Just shoulder it and fire into the bright light at shit you dont recognize.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6319 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Lubricant.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Lightweight reasonably short with a light. Mines a colt 6720 with DD iron sights. And a Surefire. I dont use a sling but see why some would. I should probably put a suppressor on it.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:

Seriously...75% of folks living in a 3/2 with 1200-1400 sq ft.

You dont need optics/sights at all in reality.

Just shoulder it and fire into the bright light at shit you dont recognize.

I agree. If you practice shouldering and shooting your weapon from various positions, you are going to hit your MOM sized target in a defensive situation.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, at close range- living room distance- you don't need sights at all, and mounted optics just get in the way.

The distance between the sight height and the bore axis of the AR-15 means your rifle won't shoot to point of aim at very close range.

Next time you take your rifle to the range, try shooting a target 20 feet away. Cant your rifle 45 degrees and sight down the barrel if you think you need to, but even that won't be necessary.

At that distance, in a real encounter, your eyes will be on your target anyway.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I think a Surefire light is essential. I don't think a sling is necessary in CQC. But that's just me.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
If you're dead set on using an AR at indoor distances, I highly recommend an RDS, a WML, and a tactical sling. Bonus points if you train to use the WML as a crude sight for snap shooting.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
1. Sling
2. Light
3. Reddot

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
In order of importance-

Light.
Sling.
RDS. (I would still keep the BUIS)

You can get away with not having a red dot, but the newer ones are sooo much smaller and lighter than the old Aimpoints and EOTechs!

Manufacturers? - RELIABLE!!!! It goes "BANG" every time you shoot it!
Magazine? Again, RELIABLE!!!

Triggers, grip angle, suppressed....
Don't really matter.

What matters is: Is it reliable? Do you know how to use it accurately?

Yep.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post