SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Home Defense AR15 Must Haves?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Defense AR15 Must Haves? Login/Join 
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted
What are your "must haves" for your go to "bump in the night" home defense AR 15, I mean serious use, protecting your life and your family members' lives from ruthless pieces of shit/miscreants?

BUIS? Optic? Certain mfgr/capacity mag? Light? Mil spec trigger vs Geissele etc? Locking trigger pins? Adjustable gas block or not? Grip angle? Sling? Night vision? Flash hider? Suppressed? Ammo? Weight vs balance? Other?

I ask to learn (because I trust Sig Forum members a helluva lot)! Thanks. Tom

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a close range weapon that is likely to be used indoors.

Optic - red dot with long battery life that is always on. Aimpoint or Trijicon. I prefer lower 1/3 co-witness mounts.

BUIS - fixed BUIS that can be used instantly in case of red dot failure or dot wash out.

Gas Block - non-adjustable, preferable pinned or otherwise attached so that it's not going to come loose.

Grip angle - something like a Mapgpul K2 so you can keep the LOP short and tight and keep your arms tucked in.

Ammo - 55 grain XM193 is fine. Inexpensive and you can both train with it and use it for self defense.

Flash Hider - yes, one that works well, A2 is fine but I prefer other options.

Suppresssor - if you don't like not being deaf and don't wear earplugs all the time, then yes. Coordinate this with your choice of muzzle device for QD.

Light - bright white and reliable. I like Surefire Dual Fuel with rechargeables, but there are other option (but not Chinese made stuff)

Locking trigger pins - no, not ever on anything.

Trigger - RELIABLE and flinch tolerant. Geissele SSA two stage is outstanding.

Night vision - no. You are defending your home not infiltrating a building at night. Turn the damn lights on if you have to get up to investigate anything. Use your weaponlight if power is out or you have to go outside at night.

Sling - 2-point. I like Magpul MS3 or MS4 that can be quickly changed from 2-point to single-point.

Mags - PMAG 30 Gen 3.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Quality Red Dot - Faster acquisition, better shooting from suboptimal positions, and the ability to focus on the target instead of the sights.

Backup Iron Sights - Murphy comes calling at really inopportune times.

Weapon Mounted Light - Gun Safety Rule #3: Always be sure of your target, including what's in front of it and beyond it.

Sling - Like a holster for your rifle, for times when you need both hands free.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I want something simple, lightweight and uncluttered. Simple to use.

I could be convinced that nothing other than a carry handle with fixed front sight and a light with a tape switch mounted to a standard round handguard and done. That's it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A WML and a sling

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
A WML and a sling

KISS, totally agree. I know you're set on iron sights only for CQB, but for me, I wouldn't mind having a RDS, although not absolutely necessary. Of course, reliability is always top.

Q

Posts: 26403 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
A WML and a sling

KISS, totally agree. I know you're set on iron sights only for CQB, but for me, I wouldn't mind having a RDS, although not absolutely necessary. Of course, reliability is always top.

I'll go one more and say that if it's inside the home, I'm more than confident with my ability to point and shoot and 10'-15'. Everything would likely happen in a split second so I'm doubtful I'll be deploying BUIS during a home invasion.

I'm not advocating for NO sights, but I think in an actual scenerio the likelyhood of both having a red dot fail, and having opportune time to deploy your BUIS is about zero.

Maybe i'm underestimating what size houses yall live in! Q might have that 10K sq ft house and need a 4x to see the kitchen from his hallway Smile

ETA: Obviously the weight of BUIS isnt gonna do anything if you got a spare set, but just not a MUST-Have if I have a red dot I trust.

1. WML
2. Sling
3. Some sort of optic you trust

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6319 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
WML and sling. You gotta be able to see and you need to be able to free a hand if needed.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8021 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
A light and a sling. An optic comes in third, but it isn't as important to me as the first two.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reliable gun, run it and make sure, don't just rely on the rollmark.
A light so you can ID and not shoot the wrong person.
Red dot (or 1x prism if you have an astigmatism in your dominant eye) Nothing is quicker, you're not doing HD at 300m.
BUIS
A sling

Dont overcomplicate it. I'd recommend electronic ears. Very important on an HD carbine, know and confirm your offset for shooting upclose.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In order of importance-

Light.
Sling.
RDS. (I would still keep the BUIS)

You can get away with not having a red dot, but the newer ones are sooo much smaller and lighter than the old Aimpoints and EOTechs!

Manufacturers? - RELIABLE!!!! It goes "BANG" every time you shoot it!
Magazine? Again, RELIABLE!!!

Triggers, grip angle, suppressed....
Don't really matter.

What matters is: Is it reliable? Do you know how to use it accurately?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
MOTAC RDS
BUIS

Handheld light.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Thank you all, very valuable input.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Light and a sling is all you need.

Carried one for a LE career and an M16.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Another vote for a weapon-mounted light and a sling.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Training

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Locking trigger pins

?

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Locking trigger pins

?

Sorry. Anti-walk, I think is the usual phrase. Little screws hold them in place.

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
WML, Aimpoint, sling.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3643 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a quick note on the Antiwalk or locking fire control group ("trigger") pins. If they are walking there is a fundamental issue with your gun. Either the spring is not falling into the notch in the pin and is under the pin or it is sitting on top of something else. Alternatively, your pin holes are enlarged or depending on the lower you may have the wrong size pins. If your hammer pin walks then your Jspring is likely broken.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post