SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Tell me about the .38-55 cartridge
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about the .38-55 cartridge Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
I need rational arguments to dissuade me from ordering a Chiappa Little Sharp rifle in that caliber.

Just for fun.
And, because I can't order one in .357 Magnum, which they have a picture of, but no SKU.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
First reply, if your heart is not set on getting a Sharps pattern rifle, and you would prefer something in .357 Magnum, you can get a .357 Magnum chambered Remington Rolling Block copy from Tippman Armory. I am eyeing such a rifle for future purchase someday.

Second reply, if you intend to use cast bullets in the rifle, there has historically been some bullet diameter variation with the .38-55 cartridge. A search on a few other forums will show that bore variations from .375-.380 are common depending on who made the rifle.

If you are limiting yourself to present factory offerings, there is no guarantee that the Chiappa rifle will be a harmonious match to the factory lead offerings. Only Winchester and Buffalo Bore make jacketed bullet loadings for the .38-55 to my knowledge.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Do ittttttt.

Sorry, I know I’m not helping.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are even “really” considering this, then…. Just buy it.

If nothing else the total cool points will far outweigh any rational thought.

This from the guy who once bought an Italian repro .58 breech loader

“Just Cause”…

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own s Shiloh Sharps Saddle Rifle in .38-55. Very accurate. Gentle recoil. Great fun. A lot of satisfaction to be had in dropping the breech, inserting that long cartridge, bringing up the breech lever, cocking the big hammer, pulling the set trigger and then blasting whatever you've got your sights on. Based on my experience I can highly recommend it.

Posts: 16 | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If you handload, sure.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dav-az:
I own s Shiloh Sharps Saddle Rifle in .38-55. Very accurate. Gentle recoil. Great fun. A lot of satisfaction to be had in dropping the breech, inserting that long cartridge, bringing up the breech lever, cocking the big hammer, pulling the set trigger and then blasting whatever you've got your sights on. Based on my experience I can highly recommend it.

I've got a Shiloh 45-70 and I concur. I giggle like a schoolgirl every time I squeeze that second trigger.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post