SIGforum
Tell me about the .38-55 cartridge

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/1000049284

June 25, 2021, 08:25 AM
RichardC
Tell me about the .38-55 cartridge
I need rational arguments to dissuade me from ordering a Chiappa Little Sharp rifle in that caliber.

Just for fun.
And, because I can't order one in .357 Magnum, which they have a picture of, but no SKU.

June 25, 2021, 08:48 AM
divil
First reply, if your heart is not set on getting a Sharps pattern rifle, and you would prefer something in .357 Magnum, you can get a .357 Magnum chambered Remington Rolling Block copy from Tippman Armory. I am eyeing such a rifle for future purchase someday.

Second reply, if you intend to use cast bullets in the rifle, there has historically been some bullet diameter variation with the .38-55 cartridge. A search on a few other forums will show that bore variations from .375-.380 are common depending on who made the rifle.

If you are limiting yourself to present factory offerings, there is no guarantee that the Chiappa rifle will be a harmonious match to the factory lead offerings. Only Winchester and Buffalo Bore make jacketed bullet loadings for the .38-55 to my knowledge.
June 25, 2021, 07:26 PM
MikeinNC
Do ittttttt.

Sorry, I know I’m not helping.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
June 27, 2021, 02:45 AM
stylophiles
If you are even “really” considering this, then…. Just buy it.

If nothing else the total cool points will far outweigh any rational thought.

This from the guy who once bought an Italian repro .58 breech loader

“Just Cause”…

Bill R
June 27, 2021, 07:36 AM
Dav-az
I own s Shiloh Sharps Saddle Rifle in .38-55. Very accurate. Gentle recoil. Great fun. A lot of satisfaction to be had in dropping the breech, inserting that long cartridge, bringing up the breech lever, cocking the big hammer, pulling the set trigger and then blasting whatever you've got your sights on. Based on my experience I can highly recommend it.
June 27, 2021, 10:53 AM
cas
If you handload, sure.

June 27, 2021, 02:29 PM
Gustofer
quote:
Originally posted by Dav-az:
I own s Shiloh Sharps Saddle Rifle in .38-55. Very accurate. Gentle recoil. Great fun. A lot of satisfaction to be had in dropping the breech, inserting that long cartridge, bringing up the breech lever, cocking the big hammer, pulling the set trigger and then blasting whatever you've got your sights on. Based on my experience I can highly recommend it.

I've got a Shiloh 45-70 and I concur. I giggle like a schoolgirl every time I squeeze that second trigger.