SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Forum Office    VPN prevents login
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VPN prevents login Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
I use Express VPN. First when using the iPhone, now when using the iMac, SigForum will not allow me to log in when using the IP associated with the VPN. If I turn off VPN login is allowed.
I never use public Wi-Fi, so maybe the VPN is not really essential, but it seems like a worthwhile security feature.
Is there a workaround so I can stay on VPN and still log in?
Thanks
SJT

Posts: 18004 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What's the message you get when attempting to log in using the VPN?

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you're attempting to use the VPN while away from home, the issue may be with the network you are using at the time. In the main, I have not blocked VPN IP address ranges. If you are trying to use the VPN while in, say, a restaurant or similar establishment, you need to know that some public networks disallow VPN tunneling.

When you use a VPN, you are creating a secure, encrypted connection between your device and your VPN provider, but you are still using the network of wherever you happen to be; hence the term "VPN tunnel" and some establishments are not comfortable with this, as they have no view of what you are doing. For instance, I know Panera Bread disallows VPN use on their customer wireless network. I think McDonald's does this as well.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
sjtill, do you still need assistance?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023