SIGforum
VPN prevents login

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/550601935/m/4770009584

October 14, 2021, 11:48 PM
sjtill
VPN prevents login
I use Express VPN. First when using the iPhone, now when using the iMac, SigForum will not allow me to log in when using the IP associated with the VPN. If I turn off VPN login is allowed.
I never use public Wi-Fi, so maybe the VPN is not really essential, but it seems like a worthwhile security feature.
Is there a workaround so I can stay on VPN and still log in?
Thanks
SJT

October 15, 2021, 10:42 AM
parabellum
What's the message you get when attempting to log in using the VPN?
October 15, 2021, 04:12 PM
parabellum
If you're attempting to use the VPN while away from home, the issue may be with the network you are using at the time. In the main, I have not blocked VPN IP address ranges. If you are trying to use the VPN while in, say, a restaurant or similar establishment, you need to know that some public networks disallow VPN tunneling.

When you use a VPN, you are creating a secure, encrypted connection between your device and your VPN provider, but you are still using the network of wherever you happen to be; hence the term "VPN tunnel" and some establishments are not comfortable with this, as they have no view of what you are doing. For instance, I know Panera Bread disallows VPN use on their customer wireless network. I think McDonald's does this as well.
October 16, 2021, 07:43 AM
parabellum
sjtill, do you still need assistance?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023