SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    What discipline(s) do you shoot?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What discipline(s) do you shoot? Login/Join 
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information, PPGMD.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I took up Precision Pistol (Bullseye) last spring. Became quickly humbled by it, but very intrigued with it at the same time. Working on improving my scores is a challenge, but also a lot of fun.

Posts: 13666 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I like to shoot every different discipline I can find the time to participate in.

BB and pellet rifles in the yard and out in the woods with my sons and nephews.

Same thing for .22 rifles, I enjoy walking the woods with the boys and sniping acorns and pine cones in every uncomfortable position imaginable.

Practicing the basics.

Plinking. There's nothing better (imo) than shooting strong hand, weak hand and 2 handed at tiny little rocks and bottle caps to build basic marksmanship.

Bird hunting
Skeet
Trap
(And then casual clay shot gunning also out in the fields with the thrower and just a bunch of friends)

I like prone and bench rest rifles. We have 100/200/300 yd square ranges at the 2 clubs. Shooting paper for accuracy and steel for fun. Sometimes my group use timers to add some tension to build skills.

We have a great core group of friends that shoot as a squad in matches, but also bought all our own steel and paper targets to set up crazy random matches with AR's as "run & gun" fun matches. It allows you to shake out your equipment and learn. No do overs, no walk thrus and air gunning. There it is, load up and go get em.

Steel Challenge
USPSA
Occasional IDPA
GSSF

My group of buddies shoot almost every weekend with different formats. It's a great mix of guys with some who shoot with gamer equipment, and other guys who shoot carry based equipment. But at the end of the day we are all looking to improve individually.
We tend to work on the basics a lot. You can't hit shit unless you have the basics down, and sometimes we get carried away with the cool shit only to realize ya gotta maintain the basics.

Posts: 3536 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My preferences are:

Steel Challenge
NSSF Rimfire Challenge
IDPA
USPSA

In this order. I would like to try other types but they are not offered near me.

Posts: 108 | Location: Central NC | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I've tried competitive shooting with shotgun (trap), pistol and archery over the years. I no longer do any of it.

I think that every discipline starts off with good intentions and then the gamers show up. More rules are piled on. Then the rule book benders show up. More enforcement is needed. Then the rule book Nazis show up. Finally, a new discipline is created and the cycle starts over. Yuck.

This is sadly true
I shoot uspsa idpa icore steel challenge gssf and bullseye.
I like them all but each has plus and minus I have decided to accept them as they are. I like to shoot the very best I can with stock guns and holsters and mag carriers I use on the street. I prefer accuracy over speed and my biggest gripe with things like steel challenge and uspsa is how it encourages speed over accuracy. If I were king each stage of a match you shoot would allow only a few extra round per stage be carried ( i.e. A stage requiring 25 rounds you could only start with 30 max.) to encourage focus on individual round accuracy. While I know it is not training for street fighting Clint smith says every bullet that leaves your gun has a lawyer attached to it.
I would also put a severe penalty on misses ( like plus 50 seconds) so it is in no way possible for anyone who misses a target to finish high in standings. I used to shoot sass but when it got so gamey and people with five misses at a match were "beating" people with clean scores it really turned me off

Posts: 3266 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today, I mostly shoot IDPA. I've been a SO Instructor and club Point of Contact for over fifteen years, and my responsibilities outside of just shooting have kept me involved.

I shot USPSA every weekend for fifteen years, but just had an increasingly hard time spending five to seven hours at the range, often in the rain, to shoot for five minutes.

In the last year, I've started shooting a new, "practical" shooting sport called Action Shooting International. It was founded by a group of guys with decades of combined experience in shooting, officiating, running clubs, etc., and combines elements of USPSA, IDPA, and GSSF.
What I really like about it, is that the matches are four stages, fifty rounds, and I'm home for lunch.

Posts: 11 | Registered: May 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I prefer USPSA.
IDPA was a bit too scripted and even though it's designed for more of a "real world scenario" type feel there are a few rules that make it almost less so than USPSA. (I don't airgun)
Either one is more fun than work. Cool

Posts: 10822 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post