SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P series lube, please step inside (Glocks need grease,too?)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P series lube, please step inside (Glocks need grease,too?) Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Excellent question. This would be my P220 for me. Hopefully, someone will be along to tell us.

quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Okay, I have a question on specifically a gun that you clean and store away... say loaded for the off chance it might need to be used.... and it will sit unfired for a couple of years but you want it to work if a bad thing happens? What's the best way to lube a gun like this?

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
Excellent question. This would be my P220 for me. Hopefully, someone will be along to tell us.

quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Okay, I have a question on specifically a gun that you clean and store away... say loaded for the off chance it might need to be used.... and it will sit unfired for a couple of years but you want it to work if a bad thing happens? What's the best way to lube a gun like this?

Unless its going to sit in harsh environments for a couple of years, clean and lube as you normally would.

I have guns sitting in the safe that haven't been touched in 10 years. I wouldn't hesitate to load them and shoot them right now.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are using oil then I would take it out about every 4 months and relube it . I haven’t seen any type or brand of oil that doesn’t dry up after sitting in the safe after about 4 months or so .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
jljones is right on! It wouldn't hurt to inspect every year, though! If you forget, the pistol should still be operational!!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I am cleaning up my SIG P210/220/226/228/229/239's now, most that were put away clean in 2004 and a few put away dirty in 2013. I took the Armorer's Course at SIG in 2003, and was taught to put a light film of TW25B at certain contact points in the trigger and hammer sub-assemblies, and to use a light coat of CLP where there's contact by other moving parts (e.g. rails, barrel). The rationale explained was that too much grease will attract dirt and fouling, and too much oil will result with your eyes being blinded by spraying oil when firing.

However, more recent lubrications videos, including some from SIG, show grease being used liberally everywhere (e.g. rails, sear, trigger bar). I am not a fan of this method, though. In cleaning up my new P365 with CLP, I kept finding tiny balls of grease in the action.

Until there a good technical explanation for using grease more liberally, I'm sticking with the old school method as it hasn't failed me yet.

Best,
Ian

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Posts: 547 | Location: MA | Registered: March 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post