SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P series lube, please step inside (Glocks need grease,too?)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P series lube, please step inside (Glocks need grease,too?) Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
I hate to admit but I’m a little confused. Let me say that I understand metal on metal needs grease. For years I was issued a P220 which I still have and used not only for duty but for all of my instructor certs years ago.

We were never instructed to clean and then grease our Sigs. We were shown and told to use oil. Only the last few years have I used grease. My P220 has some wear on the rails but very little.

I find it harder to lube with grease. It seems to get everywhere I don’t want it to and I always use way too much. Now, I have my P228 that I won from Q and I’ve been shooting and carrying it a lot. Obviously, I want to keep it in tip top shape. I guess I’m thinking if oil worked all that time would it work now? Also, I have been using syringes to apply the grease. I have a brush I can use. Is there a better way?

Also, I went back and read Florks guide and I saw he said that Glock’s need grease but never saw where he said where Glock’s needed grease. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I've always used small acid brushes to apply grease, ( Slide Glide lite ) to all of my semiautomatic firearms.

On Glocks, I brush a thin coat across the top and bottom of the barrel, ( in the same areas one typically sees barrel 'smilies' on SIGs, for example ) then the four metal rails in the frame that the slide rides on. I also put a little within the slide rails as well.

Reassemble, rack it several times, wipe off any excess.

A bit over kill for a Glock? Possibly... but it's been working fine for over a decade.

I primarily use gun oil to wipe down steel parts for rust prevention and lubricate springs, etc.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grease in squeeze tubes is easy to place precisely. You can do it with a horse syringe if you don't have a dedicated applicator. I've also applied it with the tip of a small screw driver, and the end of a q-tip with the cotton portion slipped off.

I run grease on all my pistols, including Glocks.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
It makes perfect sense but all the years of Glock Armorer class and grease is never mentioned.

I like the acid brush and Q-tip ideas.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I use oil for carry, grease for any extended training time.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Sigs and Glocks?

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
A heavier oil like Slip 2000 EWL 30 or Lucas Extreme for carry guns.

A good grease like Slip 2000 EWG or Slide Glide Lite on the competition or training guns.

Glock, Sigs, CZ, HK. All the same. For Glocks and the P320, grease in the fire control parts, in front of the barrel hood, the smiley spots on the barrel and light trail in the rails.

In the CZ and all metal Sigs, just like Flork. The lug where the slide stop goes in gets greased. All the same but with oil for carry guns.

Cycle a few times and wipe off the excess.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If oil was better, the high volume shooters would be using it.
Instead, they use this...

I like engine assembly lube.
A light grease used for protecting vital engine parts during break-in.
Overkill for slide lube, but I like overkill.

Apply into slide grooves with this...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DirectDrive,

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use grease on all my carry / duty stuff.

Glocks- I apply a little bit to the 4 points on the frame where it contacts with the slide. I also put a little drop of oil in the rails and coat the rails with a small brush. Other Autos, Ill dab a bit along the rails, enough that when I cycle the slide, the grease should be covering the rails.
The grease I usually apply with my finger or the nozzle of a big syringe that I'll pack with grease. I'll admit, if you can find a small container with a screw on cap, that is much easier than a big syringe. Apply it with a small brush or something. Rack the slide a few times, wipe off any excess (usually collects along the rear of the slide & frame).

I've been using Hi-Temp wheel bearing grease and 30W oil for probably a decade now. No problems with any of my guns; from desert, to snowy -20F days here in Chicago, rain, mud, dirt... Nothing against Slide-Glide, and I know many of the "pros" use it, but I'm not paying those prices.

Remember, the more grease / oil you apply, the more that it will attract dirt, dust, grime, carbon, lint... you don't have to coat it like you're frosting a cake.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8347 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used different brands of oils for a long time, and some of them are really good, but I now use black rifle lube/grease, and think it is **overall** superior to them for my needs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Biggy,

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thank you to everyone who has responded. Also, thanks Biggy. I have never heard of that stuff and is very good reading. I may have to order up some of that.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
Sigs and Glocks?

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Yes. Also, for carry I try to wipe down and relube every other week or so. Since I have gone to investigations I have gotten a little lazy about that.

Grease to me is a wear and tear thing. If the slide is going to cycle a bunch and get hot, I want it better protected. A viscous oil will cycle the gun well enough for any shoot out I could ever get into.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks. I got ahold of some of the Lucas Oil extreme gun oil. It seems good. They were out of the gun grease when I was there. I'm gonna stop by and grab a tube soon.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
Ok, thanks. I got ahold of some of the Lucas Oil extreme gun oil. It seems good. They were out of the gun grease when I was there. I'm gonna stop by and grab a tube soon.

Lucas Oil red or blue (a little thicker) will do you well. But, hell, I think once you get to a certain level there isn’t a lot of difference in lube. Automotive or otherwise.

www.opspectraining.com

and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
all the years of Glock Armorer class and grease is never mentioned

This for Glocks! I use oil very sparingly on a Glock. It is meant to run more or less dry. Armorers were taught to lube the whole barrel exterior with one drop of oil and the four slide locators on the frame with one small drop each. More oil than taht attracts dust and other debris. While it won't stop a Glock action, it may slow it down some and cause failures.

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used oil only on my ‘94 P229 for years. At least a decade. You’d never guess it by the rails, they’re in great shape. My dad gave me his ‘98 P229, I’d be surprised if he even fired 150 rounds. I’ve fired probably 200 out of it and used grease. The rails look significantly more worn than the ‘94.

My point is, grease isn’t gonna save a tight fit from wearing, but it will probably slow it. And oil only isn’t gonna make your pistol wear out in 10,000 rounds.

If grease doesn’t work for you, don’t use it. Things will be just fine. If using grease makes more sense to you, it’s not a wasted effort. As long as you’re not using frog lube or Hoppes black, you’re good. Okay even Hoppes black is okay...I just don’t like it.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a while I had a drawer full of specialty gun oils, greases, cleaners etc..
Then I bought a quart of Mobil 1 lithium grease, a quart of Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic motor oil, and a quart of Mobil 1 ATF. I am set for lubes for life, some of the specialty guns stuff has its uses, but nothing that one of the above 3 won't accomplish. I do miss Gunslick, anyone know if it is still available? I know it had a mild abrasive in it and it seems to have disappeared. I liked it for use on sears, trigger bars and the like where I wanted real smoothness.
The Mobil 1 stuff is really good, made to operate under high temps and pressures, more than will ever be developed on or in a firearm.

The Islamic terrorist express: Go directly to Allah, do not pass hell.

Posts: 1386 | Location: Xanadu | Registered: May 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I was an oil man for years... then when I got here was a little shocked at the recommendation for grease.... but I've been using it on the slide & barrel for a while... still use oil on the innards... how I apply? hypodermic syringe with the needle taken off...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a great discussion and could not come at a better time.

Once this pandemic either ceases or dwindles, my plan is to relocate to ND and return to LE. With that being said, many of my firearms will stay in NC for a long period of time so I have been contemplating, research and shopping for either a new grease, oil or CLP to preserve them. Plus I will have my off duty and duty weapon to consider since I have never worked anywhere that got as cold as ND/SD does.

There is so much information here it is mind blowing and it also helps to hear other peoples experience.

For years I have been using TW25B, Gunzilla and Breakfree. I also have a couple of firearms I purchased off individuals in VA that had a thin red oil on the slides and frame which I always assumed to be Lucas.

While I was deployed to AFG, I found an old bottle of what I think was called Clenzoil. It looked like it had been there since way back when the Russians Controlled the airfield. I used it on our 240's and even after a week of firing a few thousands rounds, they cleaned up like a dream.

Does any one have any experience or opinions on EEZOX® ULTIMATE CLP+ GUN CARE or Lucas Extreme Duty.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine grease doing any harm to a Glock. You don't need to gob it on like you're greasing the front end of your car, just dab it with your finger or a brush. It would stay put, not evaporate or congeal like oil-based lubes. Now, where you have a steel slide running the full length of an aluminum frame is a different story.

Permatex has white lithium grease in 1.5-oz. tubes. I don't see why you couldn't use that, but have never tried it. The SIG 1911 from 2007 is long gone, but I'm still working on the tube of TW25B that came with it. I misremembered this. It's still TW25B, but I bought a new tube a couple of years ago.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27963 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post