SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P series lube, please step inside (Glocks need grease,too?)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P series lube, please step inside (Glocks need grease,too?) Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I can't imagine grease doing any harm to a Glock. You don't need to gob it on like you're greasing the front end of your car, just dab it with your finger or a brush. It would stay put, not evaporate or congeal like oil-based lubes. Now, where you have a steel slide running the full length of an aluminum frame is a different story.

Permatex has white lithium grease in 1.5-oz. tubes. I don't see why you couldn't use that, but have never tried it. The SIG 1911 from 2007 is long gone, but I'm still working on the tube of TW25B that came with it. Smile

It's not going to hurt a bit. It's funny that Larry Vickers is a huge Glock fan. He was one of the driving forces that got them into SFOD-D. He has a video where he takes a submerged Glock out of an oil bucket, slings it dry a couple of times to get the oil out the barrel, loads it up and starts shooting. No issues or stoppages.

Glock factory training fondles the "perfect". But, Glock's don't stop the laws of physics, heat transfer, and lube.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’ve used Sta-Lube Super White grease with a Q-tip in the 10oz. tube on my autoloaders for years and the frame rails all look great. I use CLP on everything else.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I have used Eexoz for years on the slide of my P220 and now my P228 to prevent surface rust. Works great! I now use Lucas Extreme gun oil, too.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The topic of lubrication of firearms seems to infest all of the gun forums, and yet, the rules are pretty simple:

1. All firearms benefit from lubricant, for both ease of operation, longevity of operation, and ease of cleaning.
2. The old rule is "If it slides, use grease. If it rotates, use oil."
3. Use less lubricant in cold climates, as it will thicken and can affect reliability.
4. The TYPE/BRAND of lubricant you is NOT nearly as important as using a lubricant. Volumes have been written about how this brand or that brand is the best, but in actuality, the lubrication requirements of a firearm are FAR less stringent that say, an internal combustion engine.

For this reason, any appropriate grade os motor oil and automotive grease will do the job just fine. If you want to spend money on fancier stuff, go right ahead, but if you shoot/clean a lot like I do, that fancy stuff won't make your gun any cleaner, or last any longer, than more modest stuff.

Posts: 17 | Registered: December 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZ Jeff:
The topic of lubrication of firearms seems to infest all of the gun forums, and yet, the rules are pretty simple:

1. All firearms benefit from lubricant, for both ease of operation, longevity of operation, and ease of cleaning.
3. Use less lubricant in cold climates, as it will thicken and can affect reliability.
4. The TYPE/BRAND of lubricant you is NOT nearly as important as using a lubricant. Volumes have been written about how this brand or that brand is the best, but in actuality, the lubrication requirements of a firearm are FAR less stringent that say, an internal combustion engine.

For this reason, any appropriate grade os motor oil and automotive grease will do the job just fine. If you want to spend money on fancier stuff, go right ahead, but if you shoot/clean a lot like I do, that fancy stuff won't make your gun any cleaner, or last any longer, than more modest stuff.

Nice post, Jeff!

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
This is a great discussion and could not come at a better time.

Once this pandemic either ceases or dwindles, my plan is to relocate to ND and return to LE. With that being said, many of my firearms will stay in NC for a long period of time so I have been contemplating, research and shopping for either a new grease, oil or CLP to preserve them. Plus I will have my off duty and duty weapon to consider since I have never worked anywhere that got as cold as ND/SD does.

There is so much information here it is mind blowing and it also helps to hear other peoples experience.

For years I have been using TW25B, Gunzilla and Breakfree. I also have a couple of firearms I purchased off individuals in VA that had a thin red oil on the slides and frame which I always assumed to be Lucas.

While I was deployed to AFG, I found an old bottle of what I think was called Clenzoil. It looked like it had been there since way back when the Russians Controlled the airfield. I used it on our 240's and even after a week of firing a few thousands rounds, they cleaned up like a dream.

Does any one have any experience or opinions on EEZOX® ULTIMATE CLP+ GUN CARE or Lucas Extreme Duty.

There was a test floating around some years ago showing the effectiveness of long term protection against corrosion. If I recall, break free CLP did very very well, only eclipsed by frog lube. That said, frog lube shouldn’t be used for long term storage, it dries out and gums up easily...found out the hard way and broke an extractor.

For long term (not cosmoloine long term) my choice would be BF CLP.

-Freq

Posts: 192 | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I've had super good results with Superlube brand grease on rails.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Metal on metal does not need grease, oil works just fine. Metal slide on an anodized aluminum SIG frame does need grease. I use a Q-tip to apply grease (dunk it in the grease, spin it around the side of the grease container or something flat to get the excess off and then apply it. You don't need a whole lot of it.

I use Breakfree CLP on most of my firearms, it does a great job at lubing and keeping corrosion off. But use grease when it's required.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I like Super Lube grease, too. It has a few desirable qualities:

1) it's got good qualities. Its spec sheet is available on its website.
2) it's clear. If a little bit eeps out of the gun and stains your clothes it will leave an oil stain, but at least it's clear. If you use a red grease, that stain will look like a blood spot.
3) the viscosity doesn't change with time. It will be the same consistency a year after you put it on as it was the day you put it on.
4) it's cheap and you can buy it just about anywhere.

TW25B is really good, too, if expensive.
It's white and goes on a bit watery, but the carrier it's in dries a bit and it leaves behind a greasier grease then what it was when it went on.

I also have a bunch of Frog Lube left from years ago. It's really good for smearing under my lawn mower to keep wet grass from sticking, and keeping the hinges and latches on my privacy fences lubed. I don't let it near my guns, though.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
After messing around with Q tips, syringes, etc, I discovered pipe cleaners work best for applying grease to rails on handguns.

I just get a little dab of grease on my finger from my jar of Slip EWG and smear it on about 3" length of the pipe cleaner, then rub it back & forth in the rail grooves. It leaves a nice thin coating, with hardly any waste or mess. I've used this method on 1911s, Sigs & Glocks for years.

You can buy a huge bag of them at Walmart in the craft section for a couple bucks.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever works for your gun is best. Guns that see a trip to the range once a week are not the same as competition guns that shoot thousands of rounds a month or Duty guns that sit in holsters. Like Jerry, I try to take down my Duty guns every other week and relube, check function and wipe down. I have always used grease on my Sig rails.

Posts: 305 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I've been using the same "office" tube of Militec grease on Glocks, SIGs, and Remington 870s for the past few years. A little goes a long way.

Posts: 2465 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZ Jeff:

Memorize this and repeat often to yourself often!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I use RIG on the Sig rails and apply it sparingly with a toothpick.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Lube... I have to say that my father while in the Marines once had to remove all the lube from his weapon as did everyone... broke down and washed everything in gasoline to get all the oil off to run them dry.... what you say? How can that be:

Chosin Reservoir ... Nov. - Dec. 1950 at -30 below....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some interesting information here on gun oil and grease. Just remember, a *little* bit of this grease goes a long way and lasts a long time.

https://www.cherrybalmz.com/ed...yourself-the-science

https://www.cherrybalmz.com/hi...-gun-lubricants-cfze

https://www.cherrybalmz.com/faq

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Biggy,

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I have been using G96 CLP for a few years with great results. I'm not going to claim that it is a Wonderlube, but it cleans and lubricates quite well and does not appear to evaporate or gum up over time.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
So I pulled my night stand P220 out of my drawer safe. The rails looked like they needed regreasing. I have a container of standard slide glide and used a small acid brush. I cut the bristles down as recommended. It worked great. How do you guys store your small brushes until the next time? I got a small piece of Saran Wrap and covered the bristles. I know now it’ll attract dirt/dust with being saturated with the slide glide. I did wipe some excess off before I wrapped it.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TW25 comes in a syringe. easiest way to use it, to lube underside of rails and such and to get into small areas. Have been using it for years. Great stuff.

P220,P220Euro, P220 SAO, P228,
SIG-AR-Glock-M&P,870 Armorer NRA Life Member

Posts: 155 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Okay, I have a question on specifically a gun that you clean and store away... say loaded for the off chance it might need to be used.... and it will sit unfired for a couple of years but you want it to work if a bad thing happens? What's the best way to lube a gun like this?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post