SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P228 saga, I need help.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P228 saga, I need help. Login/Join 
posted
Hello all. I am in the middle of a huge dilemma and would like some thoughts. I am a huge fanatic of the West German and German Sig 228. I am getting older an my eyesight is getting bad. I can no longer see the sights well to shoot. I am thinking of putting on Sig Romeo 1 on one or two using the Sig mounting plates. Has ANYONE tried this crazy idea?
I DO NOT want to give my lovlies up and prefer not to go to striker fired Sigs. Please help me with your thoughts.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Instead of milling for an optic have you tried a set of sights like the Trijicon HD's or the like that have a fairly large bright front sight usually in orange or green? Maybe even a set of big dots.

Seems like this would make for a cheaper, easier middle ground before you go through the effort and expense of "dotting" it.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am from the "old skool too" I tried a red dot and hated it. Instead for me, Trijicon HD with large orange dot works great.

Jeeps...guns...German Shepherds!

Posts: 81 | Registered: September 29, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
If you must shoot with an optic sight- one possible solution is to obtain a P226 with an optic cut, and mount the Romeo. The P226 shoots every bit as nice as a P228, and it’s not striker fired.

A newer P226 would not be made in Germany or West Germany, but the debate on the differences has been beat into the ground a thousand times over.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the Novaks Sight website. I just put a set of Novak hi-viz (especially for old eyes) on my Ruger SR 1911 and am quite happy. You can send them your slide and they will install the sights and return ship. They have a wide variety of wide rear notch sizes and front sight widths that may be of help to you.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Instead of milling for an optic have you tried a set of sights like the Trijicon HD's or the like that have a fairly large bright front sight usually in orange or green? Maybe even a set of big dots.

Seems like this would make for a cheaper, easier middle ground before you go through the effort and expense of "dotting" it.

Chris

I’ve tried HD and Fiber Optic sights with very limited success. There is a Sig plate I could use for mounting Romeo sight. There would be no milling.

posted Hide Post
I think we need more info from you on what you mean by " my eyesight is getting bad". Can you correct whatever deficiency with glasses/contacts? For me I can correct my distance vision but then it is very difficult to get a good front sight focus. So for me, a red dot works because my glasses keep both target and dot sharp.

Some more detail on your situation will help folks make better reccos on what may help.

And if turns out that an optical would work for you, there's this thread:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/5050009784

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 870 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I don't think there's enough material on the folded steel slides to have them milled for an optic. The slide isn't a solid pice...its relatively thin steel folded into shape, with the breech block a separate piece that is pinned inside.

You could pick up a P229 with a milled stainless slide, or one of the new M11s (basically, a P229), and have that milled for an optic....or buy a legion or some other variant that is already milled for an optic. But I would not mill your P228, even if you can find a shop willing to try it.

The mounting plates that secure in place using the rear sight dovetail are an option, but not a good one in my experience.

Posts: 8422 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karpteach:
quote:

Chris

I’ve tried HD and Fiber Optic sights with very limited success. There is a Sig plate I could use for mounting Romeo sight. There would be no milling.

Not a fan of the mounting plates since you lose the rear sight. If the Sig plate is like the Delta Point plate I've seen, all the recoil force is concentrated on the little wedge that replaces the rear sight. Not great IMO.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 870 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobLew:
quote:
Originally posted by Karpteach:
quote:

Chris

Not a fan of the mounting plates since you lose the rear sight. If the Sig plate is like the Delta Point plate I've seen, all the recoil force is concentrated on the little wedge that replaces the rear sight. Not great IMO.

Thanks for your opinion. It’s much appreciated.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I don't think there's enough material on the folded steel slides to have them milled for an optic. The slide isn't a solid pice...its relatively thin steel folded into shape, with the breech block a separate piece that is pinned inside.

You could pick up a P229 with a milled stainless slide, or one of the new M11s (basically, a P229), and have that milled for an optic....or buy a legion or some other variant that is already milled for an optic. But I would not mill your P228, even if you can find a shop willing to try it.

The mounting plates that secure in place using the rear sight dovetail are an option, but not a good one in my experience.

I would never harm my 228’s. Thank you for sharing your experience. This input is exactly what I’m looking for.

Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Tru-Glow work well for me.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you can't mill a folded slide. so just get a milled 229/9 slide and have it milled.
If that's too hard you can get a milled factory slide (229-1) and muck around with the locking blocks and internals and get that to work on your 228 frame.
But me I'd just go get a 229/226 with a milled slide and optic cuts and enjoy shooting.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CrimsonTrace on all my Sigs iincuding 4 P228

Posts: 81 | Location: Part of the 14th state that did not ratify to join the Union! | Registered: January 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rhpenn:
CrimsonTrace on all my Sigs iincuding 4 P228

Thank you for your input. This is a nice consideration.

Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
If you wait and check you may find a deal on a P229 slide already with an optic cut from the factory

https://osagecountyguns.com/si...bly-w-romeo1pro.html

that is not a deal though because its like 550 but you get the idea

Also I own several triple serial W. German SIGs and German SIGs and tbh in the last few years I got a P229 Elite and P226 American made and all are good guns, minus I didn't need them to say Elite on the slide but whatever

Posts: 1467 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I’ve decided on trying the Lasermax and the CrimsonTrace. Hopefully, one of these will work. I have 8 228’s to light up.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I put a set of these on my 229 and 228

https://xssights.com/dxt-big-d...ht-sights-sig-sauer/

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post