SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My Romeo 1 Pro Can't Handle 9mm Recoil. Need Recommendations.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Romeo 1 Pro Can't Handle 9mm Recoil. Need Recommendations. Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Or read the instructions.
Would you mind explaining it to me like I'm kinda slow?

'cos I guess I probably am maybe...

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107251 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Shield RMS ( for double stack pistols) on my P320. No up or down buttons. Just two tiny ports for zeroing. On all the time and adjusts automatically to the atmosphere.
Shield ( British company) made reflex sights for their military for years before releasing to the ruble
Expect to pay $400. Brownell's is the official distributor for Shield sights.
The Shield fits the foot print of the P320.
G'luck.
Poli Viejo
P.S.
All of my pistols have Shield sights. My P365XL has the RMSc on it.. for single stack pistols.
The sights on your pistols will work fine.
These are made for pistols.

Posts: 10 | Registered: September 03, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So much for spell check. "releasing to the public____ not to some Russian stuff.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
What is your issue with a 509T?
They are a well proven optic.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25352 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Not sure if this will help or be applicable for the Romeo 1 pro but I have a Romeo 5 they kept shutting off on top of a 5.56 AR and Sig CS told me there is a torque setting for the battery cover and if it wasn’t torqued correctly the battery would shake loose.

I removed it and put it on a .22lr and torqued it to whatever setting the rep told me and it’s been good. But it seems pretty sensitive.

That scares me more than the electronics breaking. Will I need to keep torquing the cap down every time I use it?

Yesterday, I did take the cap off and replaced the battery with another one I had bought from a few years ago. The dot still didn’t come back on. I’ve ordered 2 new Energizers that I should get today and I’ll try those batteries to cover any bases.

quote:
Before I would change optics, I would let Sig try to do the right thing.

After this and the Sage Dynamics review (which came out after I bought this), I’m not really crazy about this optic even if it’s 100% functional.

quote:
Did the device fly off onto the range floor?

If the Red Dot flew off my gun, I would have said so. I also wouldn’t blame Sig. I’d blame the gunsmith who installed it.

quote:
I thought the pro cut slides had the holes to accept Romeo 1 Pro, DPP, or the RMR/Holosun optics. Is your slide drilled for both footprints?

Not all of them. It was a Sig “rolling change” that came after my gun. My P320 is the VTAC R2 with is only cut for DPP/Romeo dots. C&H will drill the RMR holes into my slide for $80, but the sealer plate to help bracket the sight in front is also out of stock.

quote:
This is one of my gripes with such devices and why you won't find an RDS on any defensive pistol I own.

This is the 4th gun I’ve had with an optic and the first time that this happened. The Vortex Venom, Deltapoint Pro, and Trijicon SRO were shot far more often and never had this issue before.

quote:

Cost. They’re $450 at EuroOptic (with the Green reticle) and with the Adapter Plate, I’m going to be north of $500 which while doable is something I’d like to avoid.

If the new set of batteries work, then I can delay things until either a different plate or the EoTech EFLIX comes out, but if I have to keep torquing my battery cover after every range trip, then it’s being reserved for a fun gun instead of the self defense gun.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
This red dot discussion brings back memories for me. (sorry for the thread drift)
A long time ago, I got my first USPSA/IPSC open division race gun. I put a big Tasco tube style red dot on it. It was the size of a 12 ounce soda can.
The nice guy that was mentoring me with the setup on the new open division race gun told me, go buy four more of those Tasco red dot sights. I asked why. This is what he told me.

One on the gun.
One in your range bag for a backup.
One will be in transit to Tasco because it's broken.
One will be at Tasco getting repairs.
And the last one is a backup to the backup.

.38 Super doesn't have very much recoil, but that big front lens on the Tasco tube style red dot was just behind the compensator discharge ports.
The supersonic blast wave coming out of the compensator ports just beat those big Tasco red dots to death.
My friend's advice proved to be accurate. Once, I had three of them at Tasco being repaired.

Later on, I acquired an Infinity IMM open gun. It is fitted with a C-More red dot. The red dot mount has a blast deflector built into it. (a small disk of titanium sheet)
This keeps most of the blast wave off the front surface of the lens.

The Tasco front lens surfaces always got pits in them from the blast wave.

The C-More front lens surface is staying in much better condition.

Any "slide ride" optic is in for the ride of it's life.

I still use iron sights on my defensive pistols.

DSC00734 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

DSC00737 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will I need to keep torquing the cap down every time I use it?

In my experience once the battery cover is installed to the correct torque it will be good until you replace the battery. While I use RMRs on my defensive guns, I use a sealing plate with a raised bump to secure the battery in place. The RMR/SRO particularly the 1st Gen models were subject to a flicker when the battery bounced loose during recoil. I have practiced with a simulated optic failure, as well as with a pistol with no sights by using the plate on the rear of the slide to frame the shot. I do not rely on technology to shoot well and I see no real drawback to having a RDS on a pistol. Full disclosure, I have one on my HD gun but haven’t carried one on my CCW gun to date.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cost. They’re $450 at EuroOptic (with the Green reticle) and with the Adapter Plate, I’m going to be north of $500 which while doable is something I’d like to avoid.

Titanium: the next Cerakote/carbon fiber 'getcha'...

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
quote:
Will I need to keep torquing the cap down every time I use it?

In my experience once the battery cover is installed to the correct torque it will be good until you replace the battery. While I use RMRs on my defensive guns, I use a sealing plate with a raised bump to secure the battery in place. The RMR/SRO particularly the 1st Gen models were subject to a flicker when the battery bounced loose during recoil. I have practiced with a simulated optic failure, as well as with a pistol with no sights by using the plate on the rear of the slide to frame the shot. I do not rely on technology to shoot well and I see no real drawback to having a RDS on a pistol. Full disclosure, I have one on my HD gun but haven’t carried one on my CCW gun to date.

Mine too. I have several optics from a few different manufacturers and the Sig is the only one I ever had a problem with but since I tightened the cap correctly I’ve not had any other issues with it either, and have never had it work itself loose.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
but if I have to keep torquing my battery cover after every range trip, then it’s being reserved for a fun gun instead of the self defense gun.

I checked the Torque on mine when I received it, and haven't touched it since. I have the cover witness marked, and it hasn't budged a millimeter. I've had no problems to date. From what you described, I'd say it sounds more like you got a defective optic rather than a battery cover issue.

Posts: 8412 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Well, in case that my battery in the optic and my spare were both bad, I ordered 2 Energizer CR1624 batteries, got the biggest screwdriver that matched the battery cap, and torqued the cap down as hard as I could.

The dot is back. I'll have to shoot it again to see if it stays on, but I could have had 2 dead batteries in the optic and it picked a range time to decide to quit working (although I thought the Romeo 1 Pro would blink if you had a dying battery?). This may be a fluke, but if it saves me from spending $500ish I didn't want to, this might work out.

However, even if this works, this is a competition/fun optic, even with the shroud over it. If the Romeo 2 doesn't come down in price, I'd do a Holosun or Trijicon over this red dot if I could do it over again.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider the Shield RMS for your P320.
Brownell's carries them. They made in England
and produced reflex sights for their special services and military until agout ten years ago.
The Shield sight is designed for pistols unlike
so many otters brands one size fits all.
They adjust automatically to the atmosphere.
I have them on my P320 and all of my other pistols.
Hundreds of rounds through them. No problems.

posted Hide Post
P.S.
Please excuse the typos. Its 12:47 AM and I'd just put eye gel in my eyes before bed.

Poli Viejo

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Four years ago I bought a Sig P320 compact with what ever Romeo sight came with it. The only problem I've had is twice having to remove the battery cover and put it back on and this was not while shooting just after sitting for a while.

With that said, I still fall back on what I was taught when taking a coastal navigation class: Never trust your life solely to electronics.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
That's why I've got Sig XRay 3 suppressor sights on them. I will say something nice about the 1 Pro and Romeo 2 is they've got a channel cut in them that's built like a rear sight which is great for the M17/Legion cut with no rear sight.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I got to the range today and it looks like I two bad batteries as I fired about 100 rounds and everything stayed on. Now, I'm not sure about the 3 MOA dot size. I think I want to go up to a 6 MOA the next time I buy one, or do a Holosun circle dot.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

I had to send a brand new 509T back as it was shooting 4 inches high at 15 yards with the elevation screw bottomed out. Holo sun sent a replacement sight back to me within 7 days. The replacement zeroed fine. The sight is mounted on a Glock 45. The Holosun lacks windage and elevation adjustment compared to most other Red Dots, Mine is a sample of one. The replacement sight has been flawless in operation so far with about 3000 rounds on it.YMMV

Posts: 440 | Location: people republic of Crapachusettes | Registered: September 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
I took my new LWRC out to the range yesterday and with it, I took out my P320 VTAC to function check everything since it's also the home defense gun. After about 6 rounds of hard pounding Speer Lawman 124gr 9mm recoil, my Romeo 1 Pro decided life was too hard and quit.
This is one of my gripes with such devices and why you won't find an RDS on any defensive pistol I own.

How about carbines? Because I remember hearing the sane thing in the 1990s about red dots on carbines. Now a serious use carbine without an optic is a curiosity.

The Romeo1PRO isn’t my first choice of pistol red dots but my agency has 13,000 of them issued and I have 300 locally. Of 300 optics we had one that failed to work right out of the box, we’ve had two that started eating batteries because the auto shut off/shake awake feature was not functioning properly. We’ve also had three optics whose users claimed the zero shifted, but in all three cases, zero shift was high and to the right indicating the optics were improperly zeroed to compensate for a support hand grip / anticipation issues.

Even if you give the latter three shooters the benefit of the doubt that is 6 optics issues out of 300. During the same timeframe we’ve had over 25 instances of the SIG suppressor height iron sights coming loose and walking out of the dovetail under recoil. So we’ve experienced about three times as many iron sight failures as optics failures.

SIG optics, direct mounted to SIG pistols use larger screws with higher torque values than most other mounting systems. When properly mounted with blue Loctite, to 30 inch pounds of torque it’s the best top mounted systems, the only thing better is the the ACRO cross-bolt pattern.

We’ve had one pistol, dropped hard enough that a rear sight shifted from the impact. There was no damage to the Romeo1PRO, and no zero shift with the optic. that said, one weakness of the Romeo1PRO, like the Deltapoint pro it is derived from is that they are both a little fragile, in terms of impact, and or crush.

I have two personal Romeo, one pro optics each with about 10,000 rounds on them and I currently have about 5000 rounds on my issued Romeo one pro. they seem to tolerate high round counts just fine.

The SIG Romeo, 2 addresses my concerns with the Romeo1PRO. As does the aimpoint ACRO P2.

Red dot pistols are now viable hard/serious use items. In addition to use by various US military special operations units they are coming into why do use a law enforcement.

Red dots have been authorized by the US Marshals service for four years and they are in the process of making them standard issue. They are already issued to the USMS SOG (National tactical team).

Red dots are standard issue for US immigration and customs enforcement with 13,000 RDS pistols in use.

The FBI has issued RDS pistols to all SWAT agents and firearms instructors in preparation for eventually making them standard issue.

The US secret service authorized red dots for pistols this year.

There are currently five state police agencies issuing red dot pistols to all personnel, Utah, Idaho, Alaska, Delaware and most recently Massachusetts. The latter two are issuing SIG P320 pistols with SIG optics.

Several large local agencies with 2000 or more officers authorize RDS pistols for duty use including:

Houston PD
Austin PD
San Antonio PD
Fort Worth PD
LAPD
LASD
Las Vegas Metro PD
Phoenix PD

Will you get killed in the streets without an optic on your pistol? No.

However, will having a red dot on your pistol get you killed in the street? Also No.

Do red dots provide enough real performance advantage to make them worth the trouble and expense? In my experience, yes.

I would say this if you carry a pistol because your job description includes “go look for trouble. “then you want a red dot on your pistol.

If you carry a pistol to get out of trouble, a red dot is nice to have but you’ll probably be OK with irons too.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the OP:

Most RDS issue manifest right out of the box. I suggest contacting SIG and having them replace it under warranty.

You didn’t mention whether your optic was factory, mounted or a few mounts of it yourself. I will say proper mounting is about 50% of reliability with slide mounted optics. It’s not complicated but following the directions and using proper torque values, make the real difference.

If you do, choose to go with a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro, make sure you get one of the newer models that is either marked as being night vision capable, or has the blue circuitboard visible when you open the battery compartment.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It was gunsmith installed. The sight itself is locked down and not going anywhere. It’s looking like it’s a battery issue, but I’m taking it off the home defense gun and putting it on my X5 fun gun. Springer Precision had the Holosun plates back in stock and I picked up a Holosun 509T with a locking battery tray to go on my home defense gun.

quote:
f you do, choose to go with a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro, make sure you get one of the newer models that is either marked as being night vision capable, or has the blue circuitboard visible when you open the battery compartment.

That would explain all of the really cheap DPPs I see brand new for about $325.