SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My Romeo 1 Pro Can't Handle 9mm Recoil. Need Recommendations.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Romeo 1 Pro Can't Handle 9mm Recoil. Need Recommendations. Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted
I took my new LWRC out to the range yesterday and with it, I took out my P320 VTAC to function check everything since it's also the home defense gun. After about 6 rounds of hard pounding Speer Lawman 124gr 9mm recoil, my Romeo 1 Pro decided life was too hard and quit.

I'm now stuck with finding a new optic to run on my P320 and I'm limited with what's considered the P320 Pro Cut. Without a plate my options are another Romeo 1 Pro (won't happen), a Romeo 2 (can't find one and I'd rather buy another pistol for that price), or a Deltapoint Pro. Prices on the DPP aren't too bad, but they are also very chunky red dots. Does anyone know if I can run a DPP with Sig Suppressor Night Sights, or would I have to go even taller.

I could get a plate which would put me into almost the entire range of Holosun red dots. However, the only adapter plate that C&H Precision has in stock is for the Holosun 509T. Anyone else know of a good plate company that puts me into the RMR footprint and is as reliable as C&H Precision?

The outside option is I can wait for EoTech's new Red Dot. Optics Planet or B&H says it's suppose to release on 10/31, but I don't know how reliable that date is.

The even easier option is just to get rid of the P320 for something like an M&P Metal or go wonkier for a Girsan P35 Ops that's a Hi Power with a beavertail and rail.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone know if I can run a DPP with Sig Suppressor Night Sights, or would I have to go even taller.

Unfortunately, no.

You'd have to go with an even taller set of sights from someone like Dawson Precision.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I have a Springer Precision plate on a 320 Legion, looks like they make a few for your gun/RMR.

https://shop.springerprecision...p320-pro-slide-mount

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'm amazed the Romeo 1 couldn't handle the recoil as my Romeo Zero has handled 9MM recoil on a weekly basis for 10 months at this point.

Must have been a defective optic.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The thing I found hilarious what looking on the product page, Sig has added this disclaimer:

*Please note, this product is NOT compatible with slides cut to accept a standard ROMEO1. The ROMEO1PRO is NOT rated for 10mm. For 10mm rated red dots click here.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only Romeo 1 Pro I ever had died within the first 100 rounds. Sig was good about it and replaced it with a retail version but I won’t buy another Sig optic. Just wait for correct C&H plate that you want to come back in stock. No reason at all IMHO to do anything more extreme such as selling the Sig for some other brand. Knock on wood, I have a bunch of Holosun optics and have never had a problem after cases of ammo. Any optic I buy at this point needs to have the ACSS reticle, huge fan of it, especially on pistols.

Posts: 342 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this will help or be applicable for the Romeo 1 pro but I have a Romeo 5 they kept shutting off on top of a 5.56 AR and Sig CS told me there is a torque setting for the battery cover and if it wasn’t torqued correctly the battery would shake loose.

I removed it and put it on a .22lr and torqued it to whatever setting the rep told me and it’s been good. But it seems pretty sensitive.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
I have 2 R1P and have thousands of rounds on a p320 and M17 without issue. Did you contact Sig? It certainly is capable of handling the caliber, you may have simply gotten one that has an issue. It happens.

Posts: 1355 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I have several Romeo pro 1 red dots and they have been flawless. I have a delta point pro and it is great as well but I prefer the romeo pro 1. Never had any trouble with 9mm.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I myself will never buy another Sig optic.. Frown :

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a bunch of Sig Romeo optics over the years and never had a problem with them. I did have a buddy who had one die. Sig replaced it and the replacement has been 100% reliable. Before I would change optics, I would let Sig try to do the right thing.

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Strange indeed.

320 X5 I had milled to accept a Romeo 1 Pro as I like the larger screen and is reportedly more durable. I use this exclusively for training and competition and have never had any issues.

Further, it eats 147gr loads constantly.

Wondering if you've got a bad battery?? or something else.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We have Romeo 1 Pros on our duty guns. Not my first choice, but it's what they gave us, and to date we've had zero problems. In talking to the Sig Rep when we evaled them, he told me the only returns he's seen were models that died immediately out of the box...as in they came from the manufacturer with some kind of flaw and kicked the bucket as soon as they started to see some use. We've got close to 1000 rounds through each of ours, and more through mine, with no issues. I'd give Sig a chance to make it right...every manufacturer can let a dud slip through here and there, but if you get a good one they seem to hold up, at least in my experience.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Deciding life is too hard and quit isn't very descriptive. Did the dot die? Did the device fly off onto the range floor? I have several Romero 1's and none have failed after hard use. I would definitely contact Sig for a replacement even if you sell it off in the classifieds. On mounting issues, I torque my screws in to 9 inch pounds (hope that's the right term, I use a screwdriver with settings) and they stay secure. I have a Shield on another gun that requires dismounting for a battery change every 3 months and it stays secure.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I thought the pro cut slides had the holes to accept Romeo 1 Pro, DPP, or the RMR/Holosun optics. Is your slide drilled for both footprints? If so, the CHPWS plate fills in the small gap in front of the optic when mounting the RMR, which has benefits but is not required.

Both my son and I have Romeo 1 Pro optics on our X5 Legions that have been great. Both guns are range guns and not intended for defensive use. We are using RMRs on my P320, MR920, and Glock pistols as well as a Benelli M4. On the P320s and Glocks I have used the CHPWS plates as added protection from battering the screws during recoil and have been very happy. One thing to note on the Romeo 1 Pro before you completely give up on it. Many of the competitive shooters reported problems under recoil with the R1P and narrowed the problem down to the battery cover. The problem is solved by using a torque screw driver and tightening the battery cover to 10in/lbs. I did that with both of my R1Ps before ever shooting them, and we’ve run both guns hard enough that I would personally trust both of my R1Ps on a defensive pistol if I had to.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dking271,

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem is solved by using a torque screw driver and tightening

Absolutely. But yet it still isn't done.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
I took my new LWRC out to the range yesterday and with it, I took out my P320 VTAC to function check everything since it's also the home defense gun. After about 6 rounds of hard pounding Speer Lawman 124gr 9mm recoil, my Romeo 1 Pro decided life was too hard and quit.
This is one of my gripes with such devices and why you won't find an RDS on any defensive pistol I own.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gray Guns has 4.7" and 5" slides available, and they will cut for any of the common optics.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
This is one of my gripes with such devices and why you won't find an RDS on any defensive pistol I own.

Or read the instructions.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
The problem is solved by using a torque screw driver and tightening

Absolutely. But yet it still isn't done.

Most don't read the instructions anyway. It's kind of seen as a sign of weakness. I too use a torque screw driver on my Sig Red dots ( I've got 5 of them) and have no problems whatsoever.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post