SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger 57 Reliability
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 57 Reliability Login/Join 
posted
I am inquiring about people's opinion of the Ruger 57's reliability for concealed carry. Aside from the size of the pistol and the power of the caliber which are other issues I am curious how reliable people have found the pistol. I have read a number of reviews where they make statements such as their only a few malfunctions in 300 or 500 rounds. I have also spoken in multiple people at the range who reported similar functioning of the pistol. When I speak to people who own the FN 57 I do not hear about any reliability issues.

I am considering the Ruger or the FN but I want something that will be very reliable. Thanks guys.

I was able to shoot the Ruger 57 at the range yesterday and I found it to be very accurate and having extremely low recoil.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I don’t have any direct experience with that one, but can you possibly expand on your choice for a carry weapon? Not trying to start shit, just curious.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve never had any reliability issues with either my Ruger or FN FiveseveN, so as far as being reliable enough for CC, I’d say they meet that. However, it wouldn’t be high on my list for CC due to the size of the pistol and I’m not sure about 5.7 being that effective as a defensive round.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I don’t have any direct experience with that one, but can you possibly expand on your choice for a carry weapon? Not trying to start shit, just curious.

There are some advantages for me such as lightweight pistol & ammo, low recoil, flat shooting accurate round, high capacity magazines.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Thanks for clarifying!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not that it matters but my experience is the same as Dwill104 they both go bang no issues. I actually got my ruger to run an optic but that is a disaster given the ruger optic options situation, but now FN has a new version that can run a mainstream optic I think the situation is looking up.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
I am inquiring about people's opinion of the Ruger 57's reliability for concealed carry. Aside from the size of the pistol and the power of the caliber which are other issues I am curious how reliable people have found the pistol. I have read a number of reviews where they make statements such as their only a few malfunctions in 300 or 500 rounds. I have also spoken in multiple people at the range who reported similar functioning of the pistol. When I speak to people who own the FN 57 I do not hear about any reliability issues.

I am considering the Ruger or the FN but I want something that will be very reliable. Thanks guys.

I was able to shoot the Ruger 57 at the range yesterday and I found it to be very accurate and having extremely low recoil.

Have you seen the new Palmetto State Armory Rock 5.7 which is another choice in the 5.7mm world ??? God Bless !!!

Palmetto State Armory ROCK 5.7

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
quote:

Have you seen the new Palmetto State Armory Rock 5.7 which is another choice the 5.7mm world ??? God Bless !!!

Palmetto State Armory ROCK 5.7

No I have not seen. I will take a look. I am leaning towards the FN since it has been in military service for 30 years.

The important issue is having the ammunition at a reasonable price.

posted Hide Post
It boggles my mind that someone (PSA) would build a new 5.7 pistol (an odd commercial duck) and not use one of the two available magazines. Would I buy one of those given that, not a chance.
You are simply not going to find 5.7 ammo at reasonable prices (or at least what I consider reasonable prices).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
It boggles my mind that someone (PSA) would build a new 5.7 pistol (an odd commercial duck) and not use one of the two available magazines. Would I buy one of those given that, not a chance.
You are simply not going to find 5.7 ammo at reasonable prices (or at least what I consider reasonable prices).

If I remember correctly, back around 2017 or 2018 PSA had the FN 5.7X28mm ammo for .30 or .35 per round. Ah I should have bought 10K or 20K rounds. Yes hindsight is usually 20/20.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
It boggles my mind that someone (PSA) would build a new 5.7 pistol (an odd commercial duck) and not use one of the two available magazines...

I don't care for any of the 5.7 pistols, but when PSA can make and sell their own proprietary mag at less than $20 each, why should they make their gun to accept the much more expensive mags (FN or Ruger)? People buy PSA stuff because they are cheap/inexpensive. They don't want to buy a cheap gun but have to pay for expensive mags.

Q

Posts: 26179 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
My Ruger 57 has been flawless with the 3 boxes I’ve ran through it. No break in, it just works, and it’s a great companion to my AR57.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
My Ruger 57 has been flawless with the 3 boxes I’ve ran through it. No break in, it just works, and it’s a great companion to my AR57.

Great pictures of you 5.7X28mm firearms. Thanks for sharing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
It boggles my mind that someone (PSA) would build a new 5.7 pistol (an odd commercial duck) and not use one of the two available magazines...

I don't care for any of the 5.7 pistols, but when PSA can make and sell their own proprietary mag at less than $20 each, why should they make their gun to accept the much more expensive mags (FN or Ruger)? People buy PSA stuff because they are cheap/inexpensive. They don't want to buy a cheap gun but have to pay for expensive mags.

I like compatibility for magazines. It makes the world interchangable. One can have two different brands of firearms but they both use the same magazines. Compatibility makes life easier.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like compatibility for magazines. It makes the world interchangable. One can have two different brands of firearms but they both use the same magazines. Compatibility makes life easier.

Makes sense when mags are ubiquitous, hence cheap, like Glock mags, not when you have niche guns with expensive mags. What PSA did for the 5.7 makes sense.

Q

Posts: 26179 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I have two, and bought a bunch of spare mags. Half work, half do not. Ruger has yet to replace the ones which were sent back for not working.

It’s been 6 months.

My FN runs fine.

Posts: 5705 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well PSA's mag will fit in the Ruger, though PSA won't say whether or not it will actually work properly in the competition's gun. Not surprising considering that they have their own gun to sell. 23+1...to be denied here...(sigh)...

-MG

Posts: 1920 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not a complete cheap skate just a mostly cheap skate. I cannot fathom how you guys can feed these things and enjoy the hobby. I would buy one but the ammo prices will never be reasonable at all and i imagine they are a nightmare to reload.

I enjoy the threads but I think I would take up cutting before I myself would buy a 5.7. lol

Posts: 7326 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sportsman's Warehouse has a "sale" on both FN & Ruger pistols and ammo - Federal ($48/50) FN (56 for 50). I checked SGammo, they were $40 for the federal. That's all they had in stock.

Posts: 33 | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Visco:
quote:

Sportsman's Warehouse has a "sale" on both FN & Ruger pistols and ammo - Federal ($48/50) FN (56 for 50). I checked SGammo, they were $40 for the federal. That's all they had in stock.

Ammo prices keep dropping but the outliers such as 5.7X28mm and .32 ACP are still high. I am concerned that but the time 5.7 starts to drop there may be an event to make it rise, e.g., another ammo shortage or inflation, etc.