SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 40th Anniversary
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 40th Anniversary Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure why 40th is a big deal. 25 and 50, sure. 40? Why?

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Obviously because they are going to release it in .40. Eek

Q

Posts: 26428 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dawes:
Not a 226 expert, but isn't the current slide configuration considered to be a bit more durable than the folded type?

Durable? Yes, but not necessarily better.

The one-piece sta8nless slide slides chew up the undersides of the frame rails.

I would love to see an original, folded steel slide Sig P226. But based on Sig USA’s track record, I expect them to half-ass it. The slide will be one-piece long extractor just like current models and the front of the frame will be left as a block without rails instead of being re-contoured to match the original.

FULL DISCLOSURE

IF they contour the frame so it matches the original, railess version (the way Matrix Precision does), and they don't engrave some cheesy crap on the slide like "40th anniversary" or something like that, I will probably buy one of these. I think it will be the first new Sig pistol I've purchased in at least 20 years.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Broadside,

Posts: 6626 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
Waiting with anticipation.

Posts: 1604 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
For good or bad, I'm sure it is all Marketing and I can't imagine they are going to do a major refitting of the manufacturing to go back to this folded slide. My only fear with this marketing thing is some idjit in corporate decides to produce some gold plated engraved abomination....
but I just asked Siri and she says the color for a 40th is Red......which would be almost as bad.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder if the old production tooling still exists?

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
^^^ Obviously because they are going to release it in .40. Eek

Not if they actually do a folded slide!

Besides, it couldn’t be the 40th of .40. That was early 90s!

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ I guess you missed the joke. Oh well. Razz

Q

Posts: 26428 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
At SIG headquarters, I hope they have a p226-shaped cake as part of the ceremonies.
Even better would be to have a stripper jump out of it.

Posts: 27974 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^ I guess you missed the joke. Oh well. Razz

...and to further ruin the joke, I'll explain. It looks like there is no .40 S&W option in a current production P226. Only 9mm remains.

Posts: 924 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The demand for .40 isn't what it used to be.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Let alone 357 Sig ... which is their name, go figure.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
quote:
Not a 226 expert, but isn't the current slide configuration considered to be a bit more durable than the folded type?

Durable? Yes, but not necessarily better.

The one-piece sta8nless slide slides chew up the undersides of the frame rails.

I would love to see an original, folded steel slide Sig P226. But based on Sig USA’s track record, I expect them to half-ass it. The slide will be one-piece long extractor just like current models and the front of the frame will be left as a block without rails instead of being re-contoured to match the original.

FULL DISCLOSURE

IF they contour the frame so it matches the original, railess version (the way Matrix Precision does), and they don't engrave some cheesy crap on the slide like "40th anniversary" or something like that, I will probably buy one of these. I think it will be the first new Sig pistol I've purchased in at least 20 years.

I think it’s just a question of fitment. I’ve had folded slide and milled slide P226s that didn’t chew up the underside of the rails. I’ve also had folded slide and milled slide P226s that did.

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 345 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prediction: As a homage to "classic" Sigs, it will have G10 grips, forward serrations, and a Sig logo etched on top. After a while CDNN will bulk buy a batch and send us email ads every week until they are gone.

Posts: 447 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They'll probably take the easy way, just using the milled slide, like they did with the 25th Anniversary M11, using the milled slide M11-A1. That was insulting. Roll Eyes

Sig has their (generally) amazing retail store not far from me and one of the times I was there in the small museum they have talking with a clerk, I pointed out the timeline had a modern "M11" on display marking when the mil adopted it. Got a blank stare when I mentioned the folded slide vs milled.

Unless they got some NOS slides kicking around, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Posts: 2196 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who knows, maybe JP Sauer und Sohn in Germany ran across a small stash of NOS slides that will be used for the 40th Anniversary pistols.

Posts: 2012 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, what is the picture that many are referring to that alludes to a folded slide? Everything I can find about the 40th anniversary just shows that MK25 picture.

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 345 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigerbloodwinning:
Just out of curiosity, what is the picture that many are referring to that alludes to a folded slide? Everything I can find about the 40th anniversary just shows that MK25 picture.

There is none officially from SIG NH. The pic that .38supersig posted above is just some random pic of an old W. German P226 that some obscure website put up. Fact is, no one knows what the heck SIG NH will release.

Q

Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I am more interested in the collectible coin they are planning to release to accompany the 40th anniversary P226. I sure hope it is nice! Big Grin

I have little faith that they will honor the P226 the way it deserves. The MK25 is the last classic Sig I purchased and I have no plans for any more. I have some 320s and some 365s but can no longer deal with the Gucci hyped up marketing garbage being peddled and have taken my firearms interests elsewhere.

Posts: 2964 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, any commemorative edition better have a certificate of authenticity Big Grin