SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 40th Anniversary
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 40th Anniversary Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 209 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
We will also have an official declaration of February 26, 2024 as P226 Day...
Big Grin

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9438 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The photo suggests that SIG-Sauer will issue a folded slide P226. If they do so, I'll be impressed. If, instead, the pistol is of contemporary construction, then it's just marketing and nothing more.

Posts: 109061 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I got a 403 Forbidden error. Guessing I'm not supposed to get one...

Here is a pic from a different site.

Posts: 9410 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Here's all the link says:

"NEWINGTON, N.H., (January 5, 2024) – SIG SAUER is pleased to announce the commencement of the yearlong 40th Anniversary celebration of the iconic P226 pistol.
“With a legacy of accuracy and reliability, and millions upon millions of rounds of proven performance, the P226 has earned its reputation as the premiere service pistol, and is the standard by which all other combat pistols are measured,” began Tom Taylor, Chief Marketing Officer and Executive Vice President, SIG SAUER, inc. “To celebrate the rich military and law enforcement history of the P226, we will commemorate the 40th Anniversary with a special edition pistol and release a historical video series detailing the development and service of the P226. We will also have an official declaration of February 26, 2024 as P226 Day, as well as programs and promotions throughout 2024.”
SIG SAUER developed the P226 to compete in the U.S. Military’s XM9 service pistol trials. Even though it was not ultimately selected, the performance and capability of the P226 captured the attention of the elite U.S. Navy SEALs. They would officially adopt the P226 in 1989 to become the MK25, and it would serve throughout the Global War on Terrorism as their official service pistol. The selection by the SEALs marks the beginning of a rich history between SIG SAUER and the U.S. military and the P226 became the cornerstone of several future successful partnerships to include the M17, M18, and the Next Generation Squad Weapons (NGSW) program. Today the legendary P226 has seen decades of refinements and is highly regarded for its enduring quality, superior reliability and accuracy amongst law enforcement professionals, military units, collectors, and shooting enthusiasts.
To learn more about the P226 or models currently in production or locate a SIG SAUER authorized dealer visit sigsauer.com."

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
It does look like it has the folded slide, breech block, and no rail.

Lets see if they go full 1983 on us and ship it in a yellow box with a white manual... and the caliber stamped on the bottom of the magazine.

One can only hope...

Posts: 9410 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The photo suggests that SIG-Sauer will issue a folded slide P226. If they do so, I'll be impressed.

Yeah, very. This means that SIG NH somehow has the machinery to manufacture the old technology slide. Or perhaps, more likely and less impressive is that they came into a leftover stock of the folded slides.

Q

Posts: 27524 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a 226 expert, but isn't the current slide configuration considered to be a bit more durable than the folded type?

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, indeed, and the milled slide doesn't have a separate breech block secured to the body of the slide with a pair of rollpins which SIG recommends be changed out every 5000 rounds.

That's beside the point.

If SIG-Sauer really and truly wants to commemorate the P226, they should produce a commemorative which is as close as possible to the original pistol.

Otherwise, what are they doing? They would simply be ginning up interest to sell some pistols. The proclamation of a particular day as "P226 Day" is an indication that that's all this is- marketing.

If they're serious about really honoring and celebrating the redoubtable P226, I'm right there with them. Hell, I've got seven examples of the P226 myself.

We'll start a thread here in the forum and everybody can show off all their examples. We'll have a cot damn parade!

Of course, these will all be pistols that SIG has already sold, but if they're serious about celebrating one of their finest designs, they won't care if there's not much profit in it for them. Right? Smile

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
They'll probably take the easy way, just using the milled slide, like they did with the 25th Anniversary M11, using the milled slide M11-A1. That was insulting. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 27524 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, we'll have our own damn parade of already-paid-for-SIGs! Razz

Mark your calendar! 2-26-2024

posted Hide Post
Para or Q - I will ask (others may also want to know but may not ask) I would like to understand how you able to “see” if the slide is folded and what exactly does that mean vs. a non folded (milled) slide.

Thank you for helping me understand this and how a folded slide is better than a milled slide. Mark

Posts: 3336 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have an old West German frauline that could be in that parade. Big Grin

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7871 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
Thank you for helping me understand this and how a folded slide is better than a milled slide.
In terms of strength and durability, the milled slide is better, but we're talking about commemorating a pistol that started out with a folded and pinned slide.

If SIG is serious, they won't just stamp some half-assed slogan on a milled slide P226 and mark up the price.

I just don't want to be "marketed to" any more, like I'm a country yokel at the county fair.
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I have an old West German frauline that could be in that parade. Big Grin
Strap her in the wheelchair and roll her on down!

2-26-2024 Yessir!

posted Hide Post
At SIG headquarters, I hope they have a p226-shaped cake as part of the ceremonies.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't have it any other way.

They should be careful, though, that the ratio of people-to-cake is not too big. Trouble could ensue...

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Mark,

How to see if the slide is of the folded construction? Look at the top. If you see the separate breech block like so, that is it.

The breech block is held in place by the pair of inner and outer roll pins (in the correct orientations as shown).

Q

posted Hide Post
To my eyes doesn't that photo look like a spiral pin. I will be stunned beyond belief if we get a folded stamped slide. In any case if that was the case one would think they would hype it in the announcement of this and I don't see that.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11165 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Folded slide, no rail, nickel plated. One could dream.

Year V

Posts: 2672 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I think we have a better chance of a cake being closer to an original P226 than anything Sig USA can come up with. Roll Eyes

My first Sig was an early folded slide P226/9mm and was my one and only until I joined the forum looking for more info on a P220 in 45ACP. The sweet looking combat models caught my eye and had it not been for the damn rails i would have bought one but was able to find a NOS KD railless folded slide.

Posts: 18140 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post