SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What's everyone using now for SD ammo in .45ACP
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's everyone using now for SD ammo in .45ACP Login/Join 
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Ranger, Gold Dot, or HST. Whatever is least expensive and available.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Multiple Impact Bullets.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
My preference is HST, but I'm not picky, especially in .45.

Gold Dot, Golden Sabre, PDX, even ball will all work if you put that big round where it needs to go. About all I won't use is the Hornady Critical Defense/Duty. I've got two guns that will hang up when the poly tip hits the feed ramp.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
My 3 favorites are Hydrashoks, Golden Saber & Black Talon's. I currently have Golden Saber's in my 320 compact 45 but will switch out to Black Talon's soon.

I also have some Gold Dots in my safe but they never seem to make the rotation.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
230gr HSTs with Gold Dots as an alternate.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Ditto.

quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
Ranger, Gold Dot, or HST. Whatever is least expensive and available.

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
230gr HST

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1930 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I have some Winchester Ranger "T" (Talon) series, standard pressure 230 grain loads, but have a good stock of Federal 230 grain, standard pressure HST ammo. FWIW: My former agency did a lot of study on duty ammo and found the above loads very good, but over time we came to the conclusion that even though they (and the Speer 230 grain Gold Dots) were very acceptable, the quality control of the Federal ammunition seemed to be the best.

I carry the 230 grain (standard pressure) .45 ACP Federal HSTs almost exclusively.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Federal 230 HST here as well. If I had to use Gold Dots, Golden Saber, or Ranger T I wouldn't lose a minutes sleep over it.

Posts: 19 | Registered: January 02, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
HST.

Ditto, standard pressure.

But really I think we're comparing Ferrari vs. Lambo vs. Bugatti here. Pretty much any modern 230gr JHP in 45ACP oughta get the job done -- kinda like the ol' 125gr 357Mag JHP.

Posts: 406 | Location: Transplanted from UT to MD | Registered: August 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:
Ranger T or HST

+1 bazzilion Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
230 gr. HST. I may try SIGs V-Crown though; saw some of it at a very good price last week when I picked up some 9mm Critical Defense.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
185 gr. +P Golden Saber in mine. Any reputable name HP in .45 should be quite sufficient, IMHO

Posts: 14 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: October 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Rangers.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
HST like everyone else for two-legged varmints. Buffalo Bore and Underwood for four-legged varmints.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my personal al ammo tests, HST rounds consistently expand and perform better than others. Surprisingly, the Sig V-Crown did well in .45 240gr.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
230 gn Golden Saber, found a case at a good price and my pistol liked them.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Either Winchester Ranger T or Speer GD's for me.

Here is a nice balistics testing study from Lucky Gunner, with links for each round tested to video's, photo's and other testing results, etc.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Federal HST 230gr +P

Ditto. Someone at a gunshow several years ago was selling the LE only 50 round boxes for super cheap and I stocked up.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Federal HST 230gr +P

Ditto. Someone at a gunshow several years ago was selling the LE only 50 round boxes for super cheap and I stocked up.

SGAmmo

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post