SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is everyone really all that enthralled with the 320 series?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is everyone really all that enthralled with the 320 series? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
No doubt. But deliberately alienating customers isn't the sharpest business model is it?

And, if you had paid attention to postings on the forum over the last few years, you'd know I'm not the only one who isn't exactly happy with SIG's current business model.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I think I posted in this thread before, back in it's first go-around, but my opinion has not changed. The P320 is a good gun. Its modularity makes it an excellent choice for agencies that are wanting to issue one gun to a wide variety of different sized personnel and job requirements. It's reliable, well constructed, and easy to shoot. We, and every other agency I've talked to, have seen qualification scores go up since the transition. The price point they are offering the base models at is very attractive, too. For an agency looking to upgrade old worn-out P-Series guns, it was a very logical choice.

From the perspective of an individual gun owner, is it really better than any other plastic striker platform? I don't know. I personally like it better than any other plastic gun I've tried, but apart from my G26, I've never owned any other plastic pistols. I've shot plenty of duty-size Glocks, M&Ps, and XDs, and none of those really did anything for me. I prefer the P320 to any of those....but if I was already invested in one of the other lines, I'm not sure there's enough there to make me switch. IMO it's a slightly better plastic gun, but it's still just a plastic gun.

Ultimately, for personal use, I still like my old guns. My primary carry gun out here in the sticks on my own time is my P245, and occasionally a J-Frame or some other revolver. When I have to go to the big city, I'll throw on the P320 for the extra capacity. The plastic stuff works fine, and I shoot it equally well...it's just not as interesting to me. The market these days is pretty boring...saturated with every manufacturer under the sun trying to market their copy of the P365, and Sig trying to maintain their market share by slapping different finishes on it and calling it a different gun.

Sig has done some innovative stuff with both the P320 and P365, and they've got the sales to prove it. I just wish they'd keep building on it with continued innovation instead of resting on their laurels and relying on fancy paint jobs and extra holes in the slide to sell guns. Give me caliber options and different capabilities (10mm, anybody??)...that's what's going to sell me another copy of a gun that I already own...not some "battleworn" finish or a cheap Chinese optic pre-mounted to the slide.

As it is, lately all my shopping is done at the used counter of the LGS. There's nothing new coming out that remotely interests me.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

And, if you had paid attention to postings on the forum over the last few years, you'd know I'm not the only one who isn't exactly happy with SIG's current business model.

Really?

First I've heard of it.

Are you sure?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With all the accessories out and still more on the way from many companies the adaptive nature is incredible. That’s what is great about them. I still shoot the classics but the 320 is interesting for sure.

Posts: 383 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s hard to know whether to post in a thread whose title includes the word “enthralled” that implies stupefied, unthinking support for something.
But for anyone giving unenthralled thought and question to the matter, a few observations.

It’s claimed that the P320 is not really any different from the countless other striker fired pistols with polymer grips on the market. And although I have very little experience with the other models on the market these days, I can’t disagree if the claim is being made about the fact that they are all striker fired and all have plastic grips. They all use detachable box magazines, most of which hold a large number of rounds, and many are available with a variety of sighting systems. Any similar pistol these days that hopes to be successful in the marketplace must be available in the 9mm Luger chambering and be reliable with most of the different loads for that cartridge. All those things are true of the P320 just as they are with the offerings by other manufacturers, and in addition to being accurate and reliable.

The obvious difference of the P320 from all of the other major offerings is its modularity and the ability to configure the gun in many different ways. In fact, that’s something that seems to annoy people who evidently don’t like having too many options to chose from. In any event, standard slides and barrels from 3.1 to 4.7 inches can be had, and magazines from 10 to at least 21 rounds are available, not to mention models with manual safeties—or without. Not only are factory grip modules of different sizes and lengths available, aftermarket offerings such as the very nice Wilson Combat version cater to shooters with different hand sizes and tastes in grip textures and configurations. Want a metal grip rather than polymer? Yup, you can have that too. And all that’s possible with the purchase of a single serialized fire control unit. We can experiment with different slide cuts, optical sight options, cartridge chamberings, and even colors of slides and grip modules with what is legally a single gun.

Am I “enthralled” with the P320? No, I’m not enthralled with anything I can think of.
Does it meet my desires and needs better than any other similar pistol I’m aware of? Yes, it does.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
I have plenty of Glocks and a 365, but more often than not its the 228 or 239.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWC:
I have one and a 320 X5 Legion, but I'm still a classic DA/SA P2xx fan over all else. Don't have a SAO P2xx to compare, but my next love is the 1911.

That would be a Hell No!

Posts: 49 | Registered: October 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post