SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Flork's Lubrication Recommendation
Page 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flork's Lubrication Recommendation Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I recently opened a new P320 full-sized 9mm, and removed the Fire Control Assembly from the grip assy to take some weight measurements... the FCA trigger linkage had signficant (visible) amounts of white grease applied, while the flanged-lips of the FCA that align the slide to the FCA were dry.

Next I checked the 'grooves' in the slide and they were visually dry.

I don't know if this implies that SIG recommends running the slide-to-rail interface dry, but they obviously take pains to lubricate the trigger linkage, while lubricating the slide rails is was not a priority.

Capt_C

Posts: 5 | Registered: September 16, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Metal to metal contact calls for some lubrication, metal to composite contact not so clearly, but it does not need to be much in either case. A light viscosity oil, used sparingly, on the rails and on the flange atop the fire control module will do just fine.

Posts: 32 | Registered: October 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any one try Sig's new Spec 1 line of lubricants?

Posts: 7 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 09, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Slip 2000 just had a price increase. Now we know why.

“SLIP2000 is honored to be working with SIG SAUER, one of the world’s best firearms companies, to introduce SPEC1. We are also extremely proud that our lubricants earned the favor of the elite SIG SAUER Academy instructors through rigorous use and testing,” began Greg Conner, President, SLIP 2000 / SPS Marketing. “This partnership means that SPEC1 lubricant is now the official lubricant of the SIG SAUER Academy, and that all SIG SAUER firearms will be manufactured with the SPEC1 lubricant, and a product sample will ship with every SIG SAUER firearm. To earn the endorsement of SIG SAUER, and know they want to put their name on our lubricants and cleaners, is very exciting for our brand.”

quote:
Originally posted by Skoodge:
Any one try Sig's new Spec 1 line of lubricants?

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a gunsmith, I used a lot of grease in high stress areas, rails etc. always liked shooters choice. But it’s a bit pricey at 9$ per 1/3 oz. in the quantities I used. Having been an industrial lubricants dealer years ago selling specialty lubes in 400# drums, I did some research and am now using Mobil 28, which is a clay (bentone) based synthetic used extensively by the aviation industry. It’s a little thinner than Mobil 1 greasebeing between NLGI #1 & 2 viscosity. The specs, appearance and smell are about what shooters choice is and I highly suspect they just repackage it. It’s @18-20$ for a 12 oz tube at amazon. Lifetime supply for most people Smile If I need a thinner grease, I thin it with a few drops of Montana extreme gun oil, which is a pure thin synthetic oil with no additives. You can customize for low temps, tight fits, light loads, etc and get max protection. I use a syringe and 4 gauge blunt craft needles toget it where it’s needed.

“It's never too late to have a happy childhood.”
― Tom Robbins

Posts: 20 | Location: N. FL | Registered: January 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello. I spent 42 yrs in the book binding business. We use to have problems with the chains on our stitchers and perfect binders braking because lack of lubrication. When the chain ran thru the gears, the lube will just fly off the chain. So we came up with this idea. Will it work with the firearms? We use to mix oil with graphite. So when the chain ran thru the gears and the oil splatters out, the graphite will remain lubricating the chains and parts and getting a lot more miles out of our chains and parts. Your thoughts ?

Posts: 3 | Registered: January 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bauty:
Hello. I spent 42 yrs in the book binding business. We use to have problems with the chains on our stitchers and perfect binders braking because lack of lubrication. When the chain ran thru the gears, the lube will just fly off the chain. So we came up with this idea. Will it work with the firearms? We use to mix oil with graphite. So when the chain ran thru the gears

and the oil splatters out, the graphite will remain lubricating the chains and parts and getting a lot more miles out of our chains and parts. Your thoughts ?

I never cared for graphite in gun applications. It can be messy and is slightly abrasive; More so in a liquid medium. The very good lube article that was, I think, mentioned earlier, seems to agree.. http://www.grantcunningham.com.../05/lubrication-101/

“It's never too late to have a happy childhood.”
― Tom Robbins

Posts: 20 | Location: N. FL | Registered: January 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must admit I did not read all 30 pages. Is there a Flork's lubrication guide for the 320? I have been using the "Flork Guide" from the other site for years and only recently got a 320.

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alwitz:
Metal to metal contact calls for some lubrication, metal to composite contact not so clearly, but it does not need to be much in either case. A light viscosity oil, used sparingly, on the rails and on the flange atop the fire control module will do just fine.

Nope. Rails need grease.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the LubriPlate, and some 60ml catheter type syringes.

THey're WAY too large. What's a better size syringe? 35ml looks to be the next size that's common, and I like the curved long end.

Any suggestions? BTW, just bought a 2 year old brand new 229 that's dry as a bone. Those 60ml syringes helped me make a mess of too much lube.

g

Posts: 24 | Location: Middle America | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never mind. I figured out it's the 12ml catheter syringes I needed. I bought the angle tipped version and they work great.

g

Posts: 24 | Location: Middle America | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
Try curved tip syringes. That's what I use. No need for a needle or any other type of tip, its built in.

https://www.amazon.com/Utility...gid=pla-822818057255

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bob ramberg,

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1362 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For grease applications I like to use TW25B. I forget who originally recommended to me but works great at pretty much any temperature you could survive in Wink . It's kind of pricey for a tube, but a little goes a long way. https://amzn.to/2RWRSS0

Check out my blog at ammdog.com

Posts: 8 | Registered: January 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still using the Millcomm TW25B grease... anyone compare this to the Slip 2000 EWL Grease?

Posts: 218 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you ever find use in lubing up the top of the barrel?

I know I know that's what she said....but seriously.

Posts: 9 | Registered: August 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Picking up a new Dan Wesson 1911 today and I see their website says to use TW25B or Miltec-1. I have the standard Slide Glide and also Slip2000 EWG. Are either of those a suitable alternative for TW25b?

Posts: 1312 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I use Slide Glide lite on all my firearms' sliding bits except barrels. On those I use Wilson Combat Ultima-Lube.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been woking with all manner of lubricants for all manner of firearms. Here as of late I've gone to a mix of Lucas' waterproof grease mixed with hBN to make a fairly thick, but still sticky paste. If I need to modify it I'll use a bit of Amsoil 2cycle oil. The oil adds a bit of corrosion resistance as well. The quantities needed here are so small, I use a toothpick or needle to apply the paste to rails, ramps, and any metal to metal surfaces including the barrel slide and bore and the RSA.
You can put this in place and work the slide then look for coverage and add if necessary.
The increase in smoothness is impressive, and the residual of the hBN surface imbeds and lasts well longer than any conventional lube. There seems to be minimal collection of dirt fouling or other grit. It is not nearly as messy as many of the compounded lubes especially those with graphite or moly.
Sources of hBN are limited and its a little pricey but there is a company in DE that sells a 20$ sample that will last a few lifetimes even if you use it for a bullet lube(most common firearm related use).
This stuff works welling any type of firearm and the amount needed to treat an arsenal is really very small.

Posts: 42 | Location: E.S. of MD. | Registered: June 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a tube of Gunslick from my dad's old box of supplies that's gotta be as old as I am, and I'm gonna be eligible to retire on Social Security in far fewer years than I like to admit!

I wonder if it's still any good? Or if Gunslick was ever any good...

Posts: 4 | Registered: March 07, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Bumping this as I need to resupply. Just about kicked my 2oz tub of Slide Glide standard. Searching around it seems that tubs are discontinued as I only see the 0.5 oz tubes available. Have not had one issue with this stuff. Even use it on my Dan Wesson VBOB 10mm. Is Slide Glide still favored or have most switched over to Slip EWG? Any differences between the two?

Posts: 1312 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post