Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 42 Login/Join 
Picture of UCPOPO
posted Hide Post
Damn you guys. I’ve been thinking about a 42 as it’s the only Glock I don’t own. Now I may have to grab one.

Posts: 655 | Location: OKLAHOMA | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I love my G42. It’s probably my favorite Glock after my gen 3 17. I have won several GSSF matches with the one I carry and feel confident that I can put rounds right where I want out to 25 yards. Unlike say a Ruger LCP, the 42 is comfortable to shoot all day and is the sweet spot for the 380 cartridge IMHO. I had a G43 and didn’t like it nearly as much so it got sold.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
When the 43s came out, everyone dumped their 42s.

I recall having a debate with some here on the forum who did exactly that. I was flatly told there was zero reason to keep the 42 when a gun 10% or so larger in a 9mm was vastly superior in every way. Five years or so later, I'm now seeing threads heaping praise on the little pistol I refused to get rid of. I've always liked mine. It shoots better than it seems like it has any right to, it carries extremely well. When I hand it to people to shoot at the range, they turn around with what a friend of mine termed "the carbine smile." It's the same grin people get on their face shooting an M1 carbine for the first time, and the G42 has the same effect.

Now, time to admit something a bit embarrassing. I bought one of the first ones to come out, and it has the dead trigger reset thing when dry firing. I still need to send it to Smyrna and have them make it right.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tiger 2 Tank
posted Hide Post
Never had the 42. I have two consecutive numbered 43’s and love mine. The size difference between the two are so small, that I would rather have the 9mm over the .380. But, that’s just me. I have since put the 43’s away and favor my SIG 365XL.

Posts: 968 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poppy6x
posted Hide Post
Talk about small and light .380, my Beretta Pico fills that bill. And for a small .380 with a great trigger, night sights and 10/12 rounds right out of the box, look no further than the Sig P365-380.

Sigs, HKs, S&Ws, Rugers, Wilsons, Nighthawks, Colts

Posts: 234 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poppy6x:
Talk about small and light .380, my Beretta Pico fills that bill.

I have both a G42 and a Pico. The G42 is way more shootable, IMO. I can only get one-and-a-half fingers on the grip of the Pico, and the metal front edge of the magazine base digs right into the flesh of that 1/2 finger. Add the long trigger pull and the short sight radius and there's no contest. Carry-able, yes, but at a cost.

quote:
And for a small .380 with a great trigger, night sights and 10/12 rounds right out of the box, look no further than the Sig P365-380.

Now you're talking. I have one on the way.

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
It was my most carried gun for many years and I have like 7 carry guns in the rotation.

No jams or problems ever. I think I have near 3000 rounds through mine now.

The new P365-380 that holds ten rounds looks promising too.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I don't know what kind of market there would be for it, but given that Sig is getting ten rounds into a similarly sized gun and Shield Arms already makes fifteen round mags for the G48, I find myself wondering if a ten round steel bodied mag would be possible for the G42.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread may lead me to pull the trigger, too.
I keep trying to switch to a 365, but the G43 shoots better for me.
The G43 is the modern steel J frame. The G42 seems like the modern air weight J frame.
For people who have been EDCing a G42, what are the new/current recommended defense loads? I have seen the Lucky Gunner tests, but are there newer loads that people recommend?

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The G42 would make for a nifty addition to a survival kit. Loaded with six rounds, it weighs just barely a pound. Add a spare magazine loaded with six rounds and you're still under twenty ounces.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan, have one. No malfunctions IIRC, but wish it had a few more rounds capacity. Always using SIG V Crown 90 gr. JHP when carried.

Posts: 3220 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post