Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 42 Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
I had a Glock 42 not long after they came out and sold it to buy a Glock 43, which is now long gone.

When I had the G42 I was struck by the balance of how light and concealable it was with how shootable it was. Groups slightly over the size of a softball at 25 yards weren't that hard with it. LCP's are smaller (but way harder to control) and the LCP Max holds more rounds, but the G42 is just so light, with real sights, and soooooo shootable.

I'm seriously considering purchasing another one. Anyone else favor these little guns?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I still have mine. It had a lot of function problems and went back for a few upgrades that I can’t recall the specifics of. They got it straightened out and it’s reliable now. I’ll admit the LCP got a lot more carry use.

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I think the Glock 42 is an exceptional little gun and the boom of .380s has made for some decent ammo options.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like mine a lot. Not a problem w/ it and it is an earlier one(knock on wood). Shoots very well and carries very well.

I think it is a great little gun.

Posts: 4064 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Had mine a a little over a week now. It's an awesome little gun.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8024 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Mine has always been a great shooter, and sees plenty of ankle time.
I put on Trijicon sights, Talon grips, and mag-guts spring with a Taran Tac +1 baseplate

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
.380 in a temporary lockup design like Glock/Ruger/Keltec/etc is vastly better than the previous generations of blowback guns in terms of comfort and controllability. A buddy had a Keltec that I fired years ago that was very soft shooting, reliable, and quite accurate for what it is. The biggest hurdle over slightly larger 9mm offerings continues to be the cost of ammunition. I had wanted the 42 for some time but couldn’t justify it based on cost and niches already filled by (for me) easily controlled and less expensive to shoot 9mm platforms.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15599 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
.380 in a temporary lockup design...
The what? The G42 has a locked breech.

Posts: 107640 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
When the 42s first came out, an officer brought one to the range. I shot a 3 shot group at 25 yards that was 2.5 inches or so. When the 43s came out, everyone dumped their 42s. I’ve never picked up a 43 that would shoot better than 4-5 inches at 25.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago. GF bought a used one for $300. It shoots about 2.5-3 inches at 25. I’ve shot several “all in” Bill drills sub 2 with it.

I am a huge fan of the little gun. I would pick it as a back up even over the 43x. To me, until you get to the G48, there’s not a subcompact that rivals it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love mine. I picked it up after it was released. Easy to carry and shoot. It’s what I carry the most in the summer. I have close to 800 rounds through it with various ammo, FMJ, Gold Dots and Critical Defense, which is what I carry, and it’s been perfect. I put a plus 1 extension from Taran Tactical on the carry mag and a plus 2 on the spare mag that I carry. They work perfectly and the plus 1 doesn’t add much to the length and still allows me to pocket carry it in a Nemesis holster with cargo shorts. I also put on a set of Hackathorn sights from Ameriglo (orange ringed tritium front and plain black rear).

I’d say pick one up.

Posts: 757 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I carry mine as a backup in a DeSantis ankle holster.

Posts: 107640 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
It's Mrs. Flash's EDC.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Ruger LCRs, a 1911 45, and two Shadow Systems, a MR920 and CR920, and a Stainless S&W Smegma (which shoots pretty darn good) plus some others, yet I am taking my Glock 42 with me when I go to Texas in a few days to see my daughter and a couple of our Forum members.

I had it fancied up a bit, put Trijicons on it and it shoots great and is, IME, completely reliable. When I first got it, the trigger was awful, but you folks helped me with that and now it is perfect for me!

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Have the G43/48/43X (combining G48 with G43) Almost got the G42, but the Ruger Max allows more capacity.

I carry my Ruger LCP 380 Max more than anything else, since it's drawstring shorts weather hear all the time, light is the best unless you want your shorts around your ankles or to be pulling them up all day.

Posts: 23493 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Had one when they first came out. I had to wrap my support index finger around the front of the trigger guard and pull straight back to group decently and have the gun run reliably.

Did not like it and dumped for the 43 when it was released. The 43 is just meh.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25430 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somewhere in the inner recesses of what supposedly constitutes my brain, there are cobwebs that cling to the notion that I actually want onw of these G42s. That despite my often loudly claimed notion that I dislike and have no use for the .380 caliber, otherwise disproven (apparently) by the sheer number of dormant .380 pistols that reside in my safes. :shrug:

The out-of-the-box reliability issues affecting a percentage of the guns has more or less been put to bed. At least we haven't had disappointed or irate G42 buyers coming back with complaints like we did during its first year on the market.

And while I really don't have a need for another .380 that I don't shoot, I think it's kinda cool that I can easily convert it to shoot Mak ammo. Besides my CZ 82 needs a range companion. Wink

-MG

Posts: 2001 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I've tried to own Glocks in the past (19 and 21) but could never warm up to them but did try the G42 as a range rental and have to agree it's one of the best .380's I've ever fired.

Then a while later had a chance to try the G43 and thought it would be the same experience as the G42 and hated it, was WAY too snappy and felt like it was going to jump out of my hand after each shot. Had rented it to compare it to the Ruger LC9 I had at the time and they were very similar in size and weight but the Ruger was better in every way.

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
I've been carrying one in my pocket 50 - 60 hours a week for the last 5 years. Great pistol.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is my favorite Glock. Lightweight, recoil is next to nil and a compact package that is comfortable to shoot for those with large hands.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have a twisted desire to get one, mount a red dot and TLR6, and see how effective it is.

Posts: 9974 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post