SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Girsan Is Killing It With The Hi Powers (or what FN should have done)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Girsan Is Killing It With The Hi Powers (or what FN should have done) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
That shortened "PI" shortened version would interest me provided there isn't an issue with the potential problems already mentioned in this thread.
I'd like to think that if Colt managed to make a Commander version out of the full size 1911, there should be no problem here. But a 1911 isn't a High Power and I'm not a gunsmith.

There used to be this dude who was really good at that stuff. Full sized, compact stuff, full auto, semi-auto. IMHO- his only thing I don't agree with was the little, tiny sights...
John M. Something-or-other... Can't remember his last name now. It'll come to me...
Big Grin

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8328 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
The PI is interesting for sure...

Hasn't FN ALWAYS missed the boat? They also could have sold P90's hand over fist if they would have stuck with the short barrel for the civilian market.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3915 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I think a Match might be in my future. Appears to have the main features that I'd want in a Hi Power range toy: A reasonable price, no mag safety, and a beavertail. (The standard Hi Power bites my hand.)

I'll probably want to swap out that straight trigger, though. When they first debuted the Match version, it came with a standard curved trigger.

Or who knows, maybe they'll come out with another model that's something in-between, more like just a standard Hi Power with a beavertail.

Posts: 32475 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

There used to be this dude who was really good at that stuff. Full sized, compact stuff, full auto, semi-auto. IMHO- his only thing I don't agree with was the little, tiny sights...
John M. Something-or-other... Can't remember his last name now. It'll come to me...
Big Grin

John M. Dieudonné ?

Posts: 15879 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
I'm a purist myself so these don't do anything for me, but I gotta say somehow these second tier clone companies have managed to produce a better finished product than the originals have been able to.

The finish on the new FN High Powers that recently came out just looks...bad. Same goes for Berettas.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I'm down for a PI model when they get released. Who's importing them?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
John M. Dieudonné ?

I guess everybody knows that Dieudonné means "Gift of God," right?

Posts: 841 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PI model looks interesting, except for the ugly engravings on it. It should be possible to remove them though from the steel frame. If I see one, I may buy it for the heck of it. Owned many a Browning HPs in my life.

Posts: 287 | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
quote:
John M. Dieudonné ?
No, I did not know this, but the name fits. He certainly was in the right place at the right time, almost as if placed there by providence. JMB shuffled off this mortal coil in '26.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107408 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Who's importing them?

EAA, out of Florida.

https://eaacorp.com/

Posts: 32475 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
quote:
John M. Dieudonné ?

I do now!

Mr Browning really knew his stuff!
My only thing that I'd ever argue about is those tiny sights...

And in reference to the post, I believe (and I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) that FN made a short version from the factory- the Detectives model, that actually functions just as reliable as the full sized BHP.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8328 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
FN ("Fabrique Nationale") in Belgium never offered a Detective model Hi Power.

That was from FM ("Fabricaciones Militares Sociedad del Estado"), the Argentine state munitions plant that also produced commercial Hi Power clones for export.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The closest thing you'll find to FN offering a factory "Detective"/Compact Hi Power was in their FN HP-DA line, which was an attempt at an updated and DAO take on the original Hi Power design. Within that line, there's the HP-DAC, which is a compact version.

But the HP-DA is not a Hi Power, just based on it.

posted Hide Post
^^^ I have the full size version of the HP-DA. It's actually a SA/DA. The DAO compact in the previous post also was offered as a SA/DA.

At some point probably around 20 yrs ago or so, CDNN had a close out on the Compact SA/DA. They were incredibly cheap, like $299 NIB. Another "should have bought" item!

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
FN ("Fabrique Nationale") in Belgium never offered a Detective model Hi Power.

That was from FM ("Fabricaciones Militares Sociedad del Estado"), the Argentine state munitions plant that also produced commercial Hi Power clones for export.

Yup Big Grin Whole thread here on them:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/5560037964/p/1

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16176 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Finally got to the range with my Hi Power, and I think it's going to GunBroker. The grip feels great when holding the gun, but there's almost enough room to be comfortable on recoil. While the gun doesn't have a magazine disconnect, the trigger is very stiff and heavy. I'd guess about 6-7 lbs.

I had no malfunctions at all, but the magazines don't like to drop free. They'll get about an inch out of the gun and stay there until you grab it.

The gun is still very well built especially for the price. It's just a me problem and not the gun.

Posts: 4147 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The standard type BHP magazines were not “drop free”. It was designed like that because they did not want the magazines to just fall out. Only the ones with the exterior “mouse trap” are drop free mags.

Posts: 267 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
A little Dieudonné Saive “history” from a prior post… Wink

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...450014584#9450014584

As you know, the Browning Hi-Power’s design originated within the brilliant mind of one John Moses Browning. As you likely also know, the very capable Dieudonné Saive of Fabrique Nationale completed the work on the gun following Mr. Browning’s death.

What appears to be much lesser-known is the informal atmosphere that Monsieur Saive maintained at the factory. Having been christened with such an unusual first name, Dieudonné reportedly encouraged his coworkers to simply refer to him as “The Dude.” He really came to prefer that in all settings and, in a fit of whimsy - I almost have to believe this particular exchange occurred on a Friday afternoon at the end of a long workweek at the gunsmithing bench for the whole crew - he further elaborated: “I’m The Dude - that’s what you call me. That, or, His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you’re not into the whole brevity thing.”

So, the next time you heft your favorite BHP, let forth with a hearty bellow in celebration: “Duuuuuude!”

Big Grin

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
A little Dieudonné Saive “history” from a prior post… Wink

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...450014584#9450014584

As you know, the Browning Hi-Power’s design originated within the brilliant mind of one John Moses Browning. As you likely also know, the very capable Dieudonné Saive of Fabrique Nationale completed the work on the gun following Mr. Browning’s death.

What appears to be much lesser-known is the informal atmosphere that Monsieur Saive maintained at the factory. Having been christened with such an unusual first name, Dieudonné reportedly encouraged his coworkers to simply refer to him as “The Dude.” He really came to prefer that in all settings and, in a fit of whimsy - I almost have to believe this particular exchange occurred on a Friday afternoon at the end of a long workweek at the gunsmithing bench for the whole crew - he further elaborated: “I’m The Dude - that’s what you call me. That, or, His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you’re not into the whole brevity thing.”

So, the next time you heft your favorite BHP, let forth with a hearty bellow in celebration: “Duuuuuude!”

Big Grin

Thanks... Now every time I grab one of my BHP's, I'll be thinking of The Big Lebowski!
I have this image in my head of Mr Dieudonne sitting at his table in shorts, t-shirt and a robe drinking a White Russian.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks... Now every time I grab one of my BHP's, I'll be thinking of The Big Lebowski!
I have this image in my head of Mr Dieudonne sitting at his table in shorts, t-shirt and a robe drinking a White Russian.

LOL Big Grin

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post