SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Little-Known…um…”History”…of the Browning Hi-Power ?!?! ;-) (See Inside for Novak Content)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Little-Known…um…”History”…of the Browning Hi-Power ?!?! ;-) (See Inside for Novak Content) Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
As you know, the Browning Hi-Power’s design originated within the brilliant mind of one John Moses Browning. As you likely also know, the very capable Dieudonné Saive of Fabrique Nationale completed the work on the gun following Mr. Browning’s death.

What appears to be much lesser-known is the informal atmosphere that Monsieur Saive maintained at the factory. Having been christened with such an unusual first name, Dieudonné reportedly encouraged his coworkers to simply refer to him as “The Dude.” He really came to prefer that in all settings and, in a fit of whimsy - I almost have to believe this particular exchange occurred on a Friday afternoon at the end of a long workweek at the gunsmithing bench for the whole crew - he further elaborated: “I’m The Dude - that’s what you call me. That, or, His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you’re not into the whole brevity thing.”

So, the next time you heft your favorite BHP, let forth with a hearty bellow in celebration: “Duuuuuude!”

Smile

Having recently acquired a lovely BHP massaged by Novak’s, Inc., I’ve found myself awash in appreciation for the gun and penned something similar to the above on social media - knowing there’s a BHP fan-base here, just wanted to share a Monday grin.

“Normal” pics of the gun below. This is Novak’s “Night Ops” package on a MkIII with the added updates at the request of the original owner of a Garthwaite trigger, an FEG slide stop, and a blacked-out rear sight. I’ve logged just over 500 rounds through this one so far and it proverbially “shoots better than I do” (as do most guns for me, ha-ha). I predominately shoot 1911s, and I’m still getting the feel of the trigger and of the gun overall, really. It’s been very nicely-rendered and I’ve begun tracking down applicable gunleather. In fact, that’s, like, a Bianchi Askins Avenger, new-old-stock and sized for a Hi Power, dude. Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
What is the point of the serrations on the lower front slide "nose" where the recoil assembly lives?

Just curious.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
What is the point of the serrations on the lower front slide "nose" where the recoil assembly lives?
For press checks, I imagine.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ That’s exactly it from what I’ve read, for press-checks. I won’t use them, though they are well-done haha.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
That's kinda what I thought. Just a little too close to 'splody end for my fingers. Big Grin

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Haha, I so agree!

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I don't do press checks, serrated, not serrated, whatever. I don't put my fingers that near the muzzle of a loaded pistol. If I need to check to see if a round is chambered. I'll do it the old-fashioned way.

Still, it looks nice on that High Power.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Did he wear a belted sweater?

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I’m with you, Para. I admit, I had to give it a try with the empty gun but wouldn’t dare with it loaded. The serrations are nice and deep, but I’m still using the support-hand over the back of the slide if I’ve just gotta check that chamber.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by photohause:
Did he wear a belted sweater?

If I was skilled enough to photoshop a BHP into a pic of The Dude in his Pendleton sweater, I’d so do it haha!

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
lovely pistol

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Thank you!

posted Hide Post
Beautiful Hi-Power, one of my favorite handguns

Posts: 455 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Thank you! I’ve had a couple prior and, to my chagrin, let them go. It’s been nice getting reacquainted with one!

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pistol.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Could the front serrations be used for slide rack against a surface or does that surface go beyond the dust shield when fully retracted?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Frankly, it helps to push/hold slide back so the safety can be swiped into the take down notch.
That’s how I do it on my BP.

After clearing pistol, either thumb in trigger guard and forefinger, or other way around.

I never press check.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
For press checks, I imagine.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that is definitely a very nice hi-power.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all!

And, while I have secured the Askins Avenger as well as a very sharp NOS Alessi holster (the latter from eBay), I also placed a call to my favorite holster-maker, Milt Sparks, and now the wait begins for both a Roadrunner OWB and a Summer Special (not the SS2) - looking at at least six to seven months or so.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's a truly beautiful pistol, and it seems that most of the upgrades are quite practical...a classic that's meant to be shot. I really like that.

You know, I'm ashamed to admit that I've never shot a Hi-Power...honestly I don't know if I've ever even handled one. It seems like quite an iconic lapse in my shooting reportoire. Some day I need to correct that.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post