SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I am kind of intrigued by the P365XL and X Macro. Any major issues to be aware of in 2023 forward?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am kind of intrigued by the P365XL and X Macro. Any major issues to be aware of in 2023 forward? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
Aside from a year or so of teething issues the P365 seems to be one of “modern” SIG’s products with the least “drama”. Is there anything to be aware of with the P365 series as far as current new production in 2023. Specifically the XL (or whatever the middle sized 12 round gun is these days the X etc.) and the X Macro?

-What is the magazine availability situation? 12 rounders, 15 rounders, 17 rounders.

-What are your suggestions/experiences for the model range.

-Are any of the aftermarket grip modules REALLY worth it or are they really just simple “personalization” so to speak.

Thanks much.
Chris.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7731 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I assembled a “Macro” before the Macro Tac Ops was available. I didn’t care for the comp on the standard Macro. It holds 17 +1. Mags are hard to find in stock at the moment. I have had no issues with it so far. I did put a Gray Guns trigger in it. To my knowledge they are no aftermarket grip modules for the Macro yet, but I’m waiting for Wilson Combat to get onboard cause it’s begging for one!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7007 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Do all the optics cover plates integrate the rear sight? Do any of them retain rear sights with an optic?

If the sights are part of the optics cover plate is this a point of failure as it’s a part that can shake loose (although I am probably over thinking this as sights can shake loose).

Posts: 7731 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got mine on November 2022. Following configuration:

1) Standard P365 with TacPac (3 12 rd mags).
2) Ordered Wilson P365XL grip module at same time.
3) Converted standard 12 rd base plates to XL module base plates.
4) Did it the hard way since I did not want the optics plate on the slide that you get with the X and XL variants.
5) Replaced the Sig OEM mag release with Amory Craft slightly extended. Did not get clean release with OEM and my arthritic hand.
6) Trigger pull measured 6 lbs even when new, 5 lbs even after a lot of shooting and dry-fire. Good trigger, no complaints.

Experience:

1) About 1,000 rounds factory ball, SD and hand loads. Zero malfunctions of any type.
2) Friend bought a P365X after I got mine. He replaced module with the same Wilson XL module. Wilson had much better feel than OEM. Well designed.
3) As accurate and controllable as my other Compact size 9mm SD guns. Requires very firm grip due to size and weight though. Don't have to choke it but can't get sloppy. Amazingly manageable. However, I use standard velocity Federal LE HST rather than the Fed BPLE +P+ used in my compact guns.
4) Given the size and weight, I am amazed at how well the P365 performs. Much better than a small/light gun should.

Any other Q's, give a holler.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
The 365-.380, 365X and XMacro and now Tacops all have optics plates that don't integrate a rear sight.
You can also now get XL 3.7" slide from Sig with plates that don't integrate a rear sight and higher sights, although in the Sig store those higher sight models, include the Romeo RD so they're more expensive.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I can’t speak to the ‘real’ Macro Tac Ops or standard Macro’s cover plate and rear sight combo. Mine started life as a P365XL. Sig makes so many rolling changes it’s hard to keep track.

quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Do all the optics cover plates integrate the rear sight? Do any of them retain rear sights with an optic?

If the sights are part of the optics cover plate is this a point of failure as it’s a part that can shake loose (although I am probably over thinking this as sights can shake loose).

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7007 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I can’t speak to the ‘real’ Macro Tac Ops or standard Macro’s cover plate and rear sight combo. Mine started life as a P365XL. Sig makes so many rolling changes it’s hard to keep track...

Yup. The XL started as yours, but currently, the rear sight is not integral with the optic cover plate. The Macro likewise has separate rear sight. In fact, I think all current optic ready P365s are built like that.

Q

Posts: 26698 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
If you're going to get an Xmacro, get the TACOPS version. It comes with four 17 round magazines. I've seen people complaining on YouTube about the magazines and sights rusting. I think that is a maintenance issue though, no matter how much these people deny it.

Posts: 3409 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
My son recently picked one up and we took it down to my range to sight in the optic. Reliability was 100%. It felt great and produced some nice 25 yard groups using a Caldwell shooting rest and Hornady 147 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Points. The worst groups by far was with 124 grain Blazer Brass.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4838 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I can’t speak to the ‘real’ Macro Tac Ops or standard Macro’s cover plate and rear sight combo. Mine started life as a P365XL. Sig makes so many rolling changes it’s hard to keep track...

Yup. The XL started as yours, but currently, the rear sight is not integral with the optic cover plate. The Macro likewise has separate rear sight. In fact, I think all current optic ready P365s are built like that.

The P365XL my Son just purchased has the separate rear sight. It has a very recent manufacture date.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4838 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Wilson Combat module is 100% worth it. So good that Sig should find a way to sell it that that way.

I bought an early Macro. I regret it. I regret it because very soon after all the components could be bought separately. No need to buy the Macro for me. In fact, the Macro fcu now resides in a WC X sized grip module, the comped slide is on something else and once they sold the mags separate I just swapped the baseplates. Unless your hand is too big for the X I see no reason for the Macro. I also don’t like the standard Sig grip and if you like MS’s you have to dremel the module which is harder to do well than the standard ones due to weird thicknesses in the Macro.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Thank you much all.

"MS's"?????????? Manual Safeties??????

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yes.

Q

Posts: 26698 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So is the “X” sort of an XL grip with the slide of the base 365? (Glock 45 esque if you will?)

So if I have this correct….

P365 - original bite sized offering.
P365x - original slide, XL grip
p365xl - longer slide, XL grip
p365x Macro - “full size” gun (said with a grain of salt in the hand these feel tiny)

I know there are compensated and melted SAS and safety versions etc. sprinkled throughout but is the above the basic gist?

posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Per my post:
"4) Did it the hard way since I did not want the optics plate on the slide that you get with the X and XL variants"

The X (3.1" bbl) has the same slide length as the base P365, but is setup for optics. Both X (3.1") and XL (3.7") use same Wilson grip module (XL). X and XL also have the flat triggers.

Don't feel bad if it's confusing. It is.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Basenji
posted Hide Post
I have a 365 Short, an XL and a Macro. I am very happy with them. I actually prefer the curved trigger of the Short and am converting the other two to curved triggers. My Short and XL have WC grips that work for me and I am hoping that WC gets on the stick and does a Macro as well.

Posts: 921 | Location: Tidewater VIRGINIA | Registered: April 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
So is the “X” sort of an XL grip with the slide of the base 365? (Glock 45 esque if you will?)

So if I have this correct….

P365 - original bite sized offering.
P365x - original slide, XL grip
p365xl - longer slide, XL grip
p365x Macro - “full size” gun (said with a grain of salt in the hand these feel tiny)

I know there are compensated and melted SAS and safety versions etc. sprinkled throughout but is the above the basic gist?

Yes and the X's have flat triggers from the factory. 10, 12 (X/XL) 17 rd mags respectively and optic ready. The XMacro/Tacops also have interchangeable back straps. Going to the large backstrap on the XMacro was a huge improvement for me over the P365XL.

The XL and 365X really benefit from the Wilson Combat grips

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I got my Tac Ops about three weeks ago. Twice to the range, 100 rounds through it. No hiccups, I had planned to run 200 rounds through it before I semi retire my 1.0 Shield but I’m confident enough in it to start carrying it once I get a couple boxes of Critical Defense for it.

I preferred the non comped slide. The grip is comfortable, I have kind of big hands. At some point I might add a manual safety, still on the fence with that.

Coming with four magazines is a definite plus too.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8185 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
How does the Tac Ops carry compared to the Shield?

quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
I got my Tac Ops about three weeks ago. Twice to the range, 100 rounds through it. No hiccups, I had planned to run 200 rounds through it before I semi retire my 1.0 Shield but I’m confident enough in it to start carrying it once I get a couple boxes of Critical Defense for it.

I preferred the non comped slide. The grip is comfortable, I have kind of big hands. At some point I might add a manual safety, still on the fence with that.

Coming with four magazines is a definite plus too.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
As Shovelhead mentioned above, can you just "add" a manual safety? Same question for the P320. Thanks!

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post