SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Your longest serving Handgun
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your longest serving Handgun Login/Join 
posted
I have a Glock model 22 that I purchased in 1993 from Smyrna Police Dist. That pistol has been my duty, backup or off duty weapon since that time. It has not been used hard. I have fired about 8,000 rounds through that pistol. Only changed the recoil
guide assembly about 2 years ago due to age. Who has got me beat...VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Age no. Round count yes. Gen2 19 bought in 1998 as my backup/off duty gun.
Stopped counting after 10k rounds and that was 2003? Changed rsa whenever it broke. On it’s 3rd set of night sights. My Glock 45 is a little over two years old and has already passed 10k rounds. It’s the gun I take to classes.

Definitely recommend changing RSAs. Had a gen3 31 go 7k+ rounds and broke the locking block pin.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
In the early 70's I was a huge fan of Skeeter Skelton's writings and his promotion of the .44 Special. Skeeter also promoted MMC (Miniature Machine Company) as the agent for converting N-frames to that caliber. I drank the Kool-Aide big time. I acquired a used Model 28 ($125) and J&G Rifle Ranch had original S&W Model of 1950 .44 Special 6.5" barrels, which I purchased (don't remember how much - under $50 I'm sure). It even matched the matte finish of the model 28's frame.

I called MMC and found that there was a one year wait (Skeeter was very popular), so I put my name on the list - this was ca 1973. Several months later, in another gun magazine ("Guns" I believe) I came across an article about a gunsmith who was doing this same conversion - it was George Matthews of Downey, CA. I called him immediately and told him what I had and what I wanted. Off it went.

I don't remember how long it took, but it must have been reasonable, because I don't remember calling him for status updates or complaining about the amount of time. When it came back, it was a thing of beauty. The only things that gave it away as being a conversion, rather than an original, were the model stamping under the yoke and the recessed chambers. He installed and pinned the barrel. Bored out the chambers in the cylinder and recessed them. Faced the front of the cylinder and changed out the Patridge blade for a Baughman ramp with a gold insert.

Over the years it has had many thousands of Skeeters favorite rounds shot through it (7.5 grs of Unique behind a 250 gr LSWC, usually a Lyman 429421). It has accounted for many turkeys and hams at local club shoots. It has also undergone some changes in evolving as I matured. I installed a smooth combat trigger and a rebound spring from a Model 14 single action. As the eyes got older I finally gave in to an optical sight - a first generation Tasco ProPoint RDS (this was when their optics were still made in Japan). I mounted it on a B-Square "no-drill" mount. It was/is an ungainly looking set-up, but worked very well - and the turkey and ham march went forward. The final modification was a grip change. After removing the stock Magnas from the donor frame, I installed a beautiful set of S&W smooth Goncalo Alves target grips. Those remained up into the 90's when I came across a pretty unique Hogue monogrip. It was made from Micarta and had a brass spacer on the butt. Ken at Hogue said that he remembered the grip and said that it was, indeed, unique and that the customer had supplied the material - just the ticket for a pretty unique gun. Here is a picture in the configuration outlined above.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1449 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
My longest is the 1959 Ruger Single Six my grandfather left me.
I've had it since I was 14. I'm 57 now.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1982 Smith & Wesson model 66 2.5" barrel. My first handgun when I turned 21, purchased it new for $310.

Posts: 35 | Location: Eastern N.C. | Registered: November 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Purchased my P228 from a member here in 2003. Smile

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I bought a brand NIB H&R 922 pistol with the 22lr & 22magnum cylinders ( Ruger single six knock-off ) when I was 16 which was 50 years ago now.

Shot it quite a bit when younger and kept it stored in a slick hiding spot that chevy pickups have inside the cab where the body curves from side to back until the 90's when I got a 410 snake charmer. The inside had a perfect gap between outside body panel and inside structure where the pistol slipped right in while stored in its leather holster. Kept 22magnum CCI shot shells it it for rattle snake dispatch.

Posts: 18032 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
My gen 3 G19, purchased new in 2006. I had bought handguns before that, but none stayed long until this one. I made no money back then, so when I wanted to try a new centerfire pistol it meant selling the one I had. I did a Magpul course with it 11 years ago and put 2000 rounds through it in 3 days. Then it broke on me at an informal IDPA match two weeks later...my fault for putting the trigger spring in up-side down after the teardown I did for maintenance after the class.

Now it's like an old shoe...but still much better than a shoe for self-defense...

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A circa 1988 Ruger Blackhawk in .357, 6.5" barrel.
My first handgun purchase. Maybe only 500 rounds through it as several others joined the fold beginning about two years later.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S.s. four inch GP100

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1991 Taurus PT92AF. Purchased new and 15-20K rounds through her.
Sent it in to Taurus when it began stovepiping @ around 9-11K rounds.
Just like pointing my finger, 2" groups @ 25yds. all day long!

Posts: 366 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger standard Mark 1 in 1972. Round count is a lot.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Browning Nomad in 22 LR in 1967, lightweight frame, ~ 4.5” barrel. Later as an adult bought a 6 3/4” barrel for it, then a steel framed version of the Nomad, later an original Challenger with beautiful wood grips. All those barrels interchanged between the Nomads and Challenger.
From the wonderful days of the Woodsman and High Standards.
That Nomad has a lot of stories and tin cans in its memory bank, and is still one of my favorite firearms — light, svelte, reliable.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Smith&Wesson Model 64, 3 inch, from the early 80's, I believe. I bought it from The Traders in San Leandro, CA. It was a police trade in.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oldest personal firearm : Colt Gold Cup National Match, .45 acp, purchased in 1974. Oldest firearm owned : my Great Grandfather's 1893 Broomhandle Mauser 7.63 pistol, and his 1903 Colt Officer's model .32 acp pocket pistol that he carried while he was Governor of Wisconsin.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Auto Ordnance 1911. I've had it since the late 90's.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Basenji
posted Hide Post
I have a SIG 226 made in 1988 that I bought used in the early 19990s.

Posts: 921 | Location: Tidewater VIRGINIA | Registered: April 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I mean I guess around 1914-30 or so. I have an old Sauer 1913 that was some German’s lucky pistol until it wasn’t that came home with my great Uncle after WWII.

Other than that my personally purchased is a Ruger P97 from around 1998 or so.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
My Duramatic from 1972.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine’s also a G22, bought new in ‘91, like yours a duty weapon. Probably has about the same # of rounds through it. 3 sets of sights, all springs replaced twice.

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post