SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Any experts on old Smith revolvers ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experts on old Smith revolvers ? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, the extractor star on my revolver is blued.

Posts: 107599 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bczrx:
In looking carefully into the fouling cup, is it just me, or does it appear that there is a line running the width of the topstrap, within the fouling cup?

I am wondering if I am seeing a hairline crack, a scratch, an actual hair, or if it is just my eyes.

Anyone else see what I am noticing?

I'd check with a thin amount of oil or something to see if a drop on one side will run down and into that line, or just over it.

I do see it; very interesting.

FWIW, every blown up revolver I’ve seen lets loose at exactly that point, so it’s definitely worth checking out.

Good catch!

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bczrx:
In looking carefully into the fouling cup, is it just me, or does it appear that there is a line running the width of the topstrap, within the fouling cup?

I am wondering if I am seeing a hairline crack, a scratch, an actual hair, or if it is just my eyes.

I came here to post exactly this.

I saw that crack in the top strap as well. The owner found the crack, dumped it at the local pawn shop. That's my guess.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
My eyes aren’t great these days
Good catch, didn’t buy it anyway
But if it’s still there I’m going to look at it through a Loupe
Even if I showed them the crack they wouldn’t pull it from the cabinet
This particular chain of pawn shops is a little on the shady side

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2917 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does appear it could be factory nickel gun. A factory nickel gun will have an N marked on the back of the cylinder and on the frame under the grip. It will also have a blued extractor and non-plated hammer and trigger, as already pointed out. If it is original nickel finish, possible but difficult to determine from the photos posted, and not cracked through the fouling cup, it could be a decent buy for $1000 if it's otherwise in nice condition. Non-matching grips are a significant detraction from collector value too.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
It does have a blued extractor
You can see faint color case on the hammer and trigger, mostly Grey now

The fouling cup does Not have a crack, inspected with a loupe

It’s probably a $1000 gun, hard to find old hand ejectors in that condition, even if it’s a refinish

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2917 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post