SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Whats the best bang for the buck 9mm pistol carbine right now
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats the best bang for the buck 9mm pistol carbine right now Login/Join 
posted
I want to add a 9mm pistol carbine to the collection. Im thinking this would be a great option for a SHTF scenario for my wife. Decent ammo, decent capacity and most of all, easy to shoot/aim. I thought about various pistols and semiauto are out since she cannot easily manipulate the slide and I fear a limp wrist jam. Revolvers are out for the round capacity.

I would like a middle of the road work horse. Its doesnt have to be pretty but I want something reliable and south of $1k.

I dont have any experience with the pistol carbines but was thinking a barrel less than 8inches for sure.

Any recommendations as where to start? I would like either a complete gun or a mix and match complete upper and lower.

Thanks

Posts: 5404 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Ruger PCC.

Posts: 1802 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are several good choices out there; any of the higher-end manufacturers produce a good product, if you're looking for an AR-style. You'll have to decide which type magazine you want, whether the SMG style or Glock mags, and whether you want last round bolt hold-open.

Quarter Circle 10 makes great pistol caliber AR style carbines.

Economy...a few months ago I put together a Palmetto State Armory lower (glock mag) with a 16" 9mm upper, for playing at steel meets. I had other stuff with shorter barrels, but did the Palmetto one as a starting point. Presently I've replaced most of what's on the rifle, one part at a time, not because any failed or was found defective, but because I wanted something else on there, from the bolt to spring/buffer assembly, to sights, trigger assembly, mag well added, some furniture, flared mag well, and so on. Probably would have been less expensive to go another route, but I built up what I was looking for, and it was a project.

For dedicated non-AR platforms, I like the MPX. I've been thinking of picking up a CZ EVO carbine, but that's for another time.

For a shit hit the fan occasion, a 9mm carbine wouldn't be my first choice, unless it were for a very specific role. I'd save the 9mm for my hip and carry a carbine with a bit more reach and zip to it, such as a good AR.

I don't have one, but have heard a lot of good about the Palmetto PSA AK-V. It uses proprietary mags, and takes CZ Scorpion mags. I plan to pick one up one of these days to beat around, if primers ever come back again.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've got a 1st gen Ruger pc9 and a pc4 and like them both a lot. Hell for stout and a bit heavy but I doubt you could wear one out. The 2nd gen pc9s take down similar to a 10/22 back pack model and that could be useful.

At a gun show this weekend I passed a decent Marlin Camp 9 that was marked $750.

Posts: 4671 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Less than 8"? Add your lower and you have a nice pistol

https://palmettostatearmory.co...sba3-pistol-kit.html

Posts: 5290 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
By the time you're done with a sub2000, you've got a grand into it...so probably not Wink

Posts: 3478 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger PCC but they don't look like a tier 1 sub gun.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I am completely satisfied with my Ruger PCC. Carrying it broken down the soft carrying case makes it simple and easy too.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7032 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
PSA AK-V would be my recommendation. Shoots great, very reliable and the 35 rnd mags are less than $20 each. They also make an AR-V, but I really like the AK version.

AK-V

AR-V

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stribog SP9A1

Posts: 900 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
3.9 inch barrel. Big Grin

Posts: 3478 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
You could build an AR 9mm pistol. I just completed my build a few weeks ago and spent $864 on everything.

I started with a stripped lower and accumulated the parts over a few weeks and then put it all together. I have a 7.5" barrel and an SBA3 brace.

The most expensive part of the build was the upper and the 2nd most expensive thing was the brace.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
After trying HKs, AR 9mms, Stribogs, Rugers, and Scorpions, I went with the Ruger pistol variant.

Not terribly expensive, from a good company, reiable, uses Glock magazines. Done.

Granted it's a little heavy and a bit of an ugly duckling, but it works great.

But they're all pretty cool, frankly. I would own any of them, in a pinch.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One more vote for the PSA AK-v. Amazing what it will do for what it is, It's not a battle rifle and it doesn't need to be. For a women it works rather well for close range.

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wacopolumbo:
PSA AK-V would be my recommendation. Shoots great, very reliable and the 35 rnd mags are less than $20 each. They also make an AR-V, but I really like the AK version.

AK-V

AR-V

Both the AKV & ARV look pretty cool how much do they cost out the door? I like the SIG but at over 2k its out of reach for my budget.

Posts: 1617 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've got a Scorpion on my wishlist.
A member here posted his Stribog recently & looks like a good option on a tighter budget.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15130 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted Hide Post
I'm going to say Stribog. Mine has been flawless. No issues with the gen 1 mags. Love it.

Disabled combat vet

Posts: 1409 | Location: WY | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I've got a 1st gen Ruger pc9 and a pc4 and like them both a lot. Hell for stout and a bit heavy but I doubt you could wear one out. The 2nd gen pc9s take down similar to a 10/22 back pack model and that could be useful.

At a gun show this weekend I passed a decent Marlin Camp 9 that was marked $750.

I have the 1st Gen Ruger PC4 also. My second one, foolishly sold the first one.
Built to last forever, downside is lack of repair parts and 10 round mags in the case of the PC4.
Upside is virtually no recoil and very good accuracy. The 2nd edition Ruger carbines should be okay, and aren't limited to magazine limitations.

I did learn through research, that ,40 caliber carbines pack a lot more punch at the limits of their range than do the 9mm versions. I thought my PC4 was heavy until I had both the new version and mine together, both weigh similar. For me, the PC4 just points much better.

I'm not familiar with other Carbines, but like Berettas CX offerings.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Some members here will poo-poo my recommendation, but I'll say it anyway.
Extar EP9

It checks all your major boxes:
  • lightweight, 4.1 lbs. By contrast, the Ruger PC Carbine weighs 6.8 lbs.
  • durable
  • soft shooter
  • 6.5" barrel, 24.5" overall length
  • Takes Glock mags
  • Comes in well below $1K
EP9 costs $450. Shipping and FFL transfer will bring it up to $500. Some budget sights + a couple mags will take up to ~$600. If you add MBUS sights and a Romeo5, that's about $200 additional (i.e., $700 w/o addl mags).

A lot of EP9 owners remark that their wives/GFs like to shoot it, b/c of how light it weighs and how tame the recoil is.

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:

Both the AKV & ARV look pretty cool how much do they cost out the door? I like the SIG but at over 2k its out of reach for my budget.

PSA offers them in multiple configurations, they can be had for under $1K. Then you can mod them to suit your needs. I love the reliable, affordable mags that are interchangeable between the platforms. As stated by another member, they also accept CZ scorpion mags, but the PSA mags are more affordable. They have a 15 red extension for the 35rnd mags and a 50 round drum. I’ve read the reliability of the drum is hit or miss. I’ve been satisfied with the standard 35 round mags.

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post