SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    **Updated** Which SAA and Caliber?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

**Updated** Which SAA and Caliber? Login/Join 
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
45 Colt can definitely be loaded very stoutly as evidenced by the performance of the 454 Casull, which is as essentially a longer magnum version of it, ala 38 Special vs. 357 Magnum. But the performance of the original black powder loadings of 45 Colt is nothing shabby, pushing a 250 gr bullet at close to 900 FPS.

IMO the .45 Colt is an underappreciated cartridge, at least these days. It's got a wider cross section than the .44, can be loaded to pretty stout levels in guns of modern design, yet has less recoil than a .44 Mag. I like a 250gr bullet over 8.0 grains of Unique, which produces 1100fps out of a rifle and 900fps out of my 4 5/8" Blackhawk. As a handloader, I also appreciate that it has the same diameter as .45 ACP. It's a darn good cartridge...I just wish there were more guns available chambered in it. My dream trail gun would be a 5-shot scandium L-Frame with a 2 3/4-3" barrel and a steel cylinder, chambered in .45 Colt.

FWIW, the .44 has a reputation for accuracy that the .45 doesn't share.

Hard to imagine 0.023" making that much difference (.452 vs. .429) but there you have it.

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
FWIW, the .44 has a reputation for accuracy that the .45 doesn't share.

Maybe so, but if true nobody ever told either of mine. They're both tack drivers (although so is my .44).

Honestly, part of it is just logistical for me, as I already had the .45s and didn't want to add another caliber. But then I couldn't find what I wanted in .45, so I broke down and bought a model 69 in .44. I really like that gun, but would still get one in .45 if they'd make it.

Posts: 8545 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
45 Colt can definitely be loaded very stoutly as evidenced by the performance of the 454 Casull, which is as essentially a longer magnum version of it, ala 38 Special vs. 357 Magnum. But the performance of the original black powder loadings of 45 Colt is nothing shabby, pushing a 250 gr bullet at close to 900 FPS.

quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
IMO the .45 Colt is an underappreciated cartridge, at least these days. It's got a wider cross section than the .44, can be loaded to pretty stout levels in guns of modern design, yet has less recoil than a .44 Mag. I like a 250gr bullet over 8.0 grains of Unique, which produces 1100fps out of a rifle and 900fps out of my 4 5/8" Blackhawk. As a handloader, I also appreciate that it has the same diameter as .45 ACP. It's a darn good cartridge...I just wish there were more guns available chambered in it. My dream trail gun would be a 5-shot scandium L-Frame with a 2 3/4-3" barrel and a steel cylinder, chambered in .45 Colt.

I'm gaining a new appreciation and interest in a cartridge that for the last couple decades I had dismissed as limited and antiquated. Thanks for the great discussion!

I have a feeling I know the answer to this question, but I'm a slave to curiosity... has there ever been a semi-auto chambered for 45 Colt?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today at a local Cabelas, I was mentally lamenting about the state of the Gun Library. It used to well stocked with a good cross section of used Pistols, Rifles and Shotguns. Today, it's about half the selection and quality it used to be. I'm not sure why that is but I digress.

While walking down the display case area I saw a new Stainless Ruger .357 Vaquero for $759. I haven't seen a Vaquero in the wild, anywhere. Cabelas had just received this one and it was on display for only a couple of hours before I stumbled across it.

I bought it right then and there. It now sits in Washington State firearm jail for its up to 10 day waiting period before being released to me.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post