SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    **Updated** Which SAA and Caliber?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

**Updated** Which SAA and Caliber? Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rmfnla:
I could never go with Ruger because of their warning info on their barrels, especially in something like an SA revolver.

I’ll have to dig it out of the safe and take a picture, but on the New Vaquero, it’s on the underside of the barrel in small script that resembles roll marks of the era. It’s so unobtrusive I forgot it was there until I read this post.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:

On the top is my Uberti .357 with the birdshead grip. Absolutely love it.

On the bottom is my Uberti 12shot .22lr. It's ok, don't shoot it much, I keep it for the looks more than anything and I do like that it's built on a fullsize frame.

Love the bird's head grips!

Those can be added to a square butt gun at any time if you can find the parts.

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Choice for a one and only single action and caliber? It has to be a 7&1/2 inch Colt SAA in .45 Colt. That is the classic SAA, dating from 1873. I think if you want to do a lot of shooting, the Rugers are good guns. I own both Colts and Rugers and would not consider limiting my self to just one or to only one caliber. But once you get past classic, then it becomes like asking what's better, Ford or Chevy. Yes, I own a Colt like I describe above.

Posts: 621 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I have a 1974 made 4 5/8 inch barreled .357 Blackhawk. This was the first year of Ruger manufacturing Blackhawks with a transfer bar. I prefer the ability of being able to safely load and carry all 6 chambers stoked without worry. I really enjoy the .357 in an all steel revolver of this size. The 4 5/8 inch barrel points naturally and the mid level .357 loads I use (135-145gr. bullets and 1100-1200 fps) do not abuse the hand at all.

If Ruger ever makes another run of the 3 3/4 inch Birdshead revolvers, I will try to get a .45acp chambered one if possible. Mild recoil and the shortened ejector rod pushes the short .45 acp cases out without fail.

Posts: 3147 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Coming at my problem from a different approach, if I wanted an SAA with . 44 mag. performance, are there, or have there ever been SAA chambered in . 44 mag? Not that I've spent significant time researching it yet, but in browsing a few SAA clone websites I haven't found one yet, but maybe I'm just not trying hard enough?

Not that I know of, but take that with a grain of salt as I don't have a lot of SAA knowledge. I've always been more of a Blackhawk guy (heck, even my single-six has adjustable sights, lol), not because I wouldn't love an SAA, but the Ruger does what I need better for a lot less money.

I've read that the original large frame "old" Vaqueros (not to be confused with the smaller New Vaquero) could handle the Ruger-Only .45 Colt loads, but I'm not sure if any of them ever left the factory chambered for .44 Mag.

So long story short, I don't know Smile.

92fstech, you always come through for those with questions and have made some great posts on a variety of topics with good info and observations over the years, and I often stop to read your posts. Thanks for your participation on the forum and piping up!

Nice pair of 3 screws!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yucaipa:
The "old model Vaqueros" (1993-2004) were built on what used to be called the "super blackhawk" frame/cylinder and were offered in 44mag. The "new model vaqueros" (2005 - present) are currently only offered in "talo" model #10596 and #10598 in 44 mag.

NEVER reload any "new model vaquero" (2005 - present) in any caliber to "Ruger only loads"

Excellent info with great detail! Thank you!

Both of those Talos are sharp looking, but I was hoping for an SAA style . 44 mag. with just a tad
longer pipe , say maybe around 4.5-5.5" barrel.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:

On the top is my Uberti .357 with the birdshead grip. Absolutely love it.

On the bottom is my Uberti 12shot .22lr. It's ok, don't shoot it much, I keep it for the looks more than anything and I do like that it's built on a fullsize frame.

That's a good looking pair right there... and perfectly frames another question I have.

I hope I'm not straying too far off topic, but I've had a question for years and this thread seems like a good place to ask it.

I've shot a grand total of one whole cylinder through my brother's Ruger Blackhawk . 45 LC, and it's the only SAA style gun I've handled.

How big a difference is there in grip angle and natural pointability between the traditional grip style and birds head grip? Is it as dramatic a difference as it appears and make a big difference in hitting what your aiming at? Does the grip style affect perceived recoil?

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
MDS, not a problem sir. I'm glad I was able to help a little, and thankfully yucaipa was able to fill in the info about the .44 Vaqueros. I went out and took a look on the Ruger website...those are cool little short-barreled .44s. I imagine they're a handfull to shoot!

I'm afraid I can't help with the question about the birdshead grip. The only one I've ever shot was a Ruger Bearcat in .22LR, and aside from being way too small for my hand, that gun has no recoil to speak of, so it wasn't really a fair evaluation of the grip style. All my single-actions, and those my local friends own, have plow-handle grips...I'd love to try out a birdshead and a Bisley some day to see how they compare. I'm curious to hear the responses you get to your question.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Whoa! No kidding?

I've been going back and forth between whether I'd want an SAA chambered in the legacy and iconic . 45 LC cartridge, or the more practical for my purposes of . 44 mag... but if it's true that pumping the . 45 LC up to . 44 mag performance is possible, you may have just solved my dilemma.

Any commercially available . 45 LC w/ .44 mag performance...or you gotta crank out your own to hit that mark?

.45 Colt (sometimes incorrectly called ".45 Long Colt" to distinguish it from other .45's and .45 Automatic Cold Pistol--acp) was a weak offering as found in the old west, like most cartridges. At least, by modern standards.

Yes, .45 Colt can be loaded quite stoutly and will certainly rival .44 magnum, but that is not to be used in any firearm.

Commercial loads for .45 Colt, with a few exceptions are not loaded anywhere near that hot. You can get them, but most .45 Colt loads are more of a "cowboy" load, and nothing to write home about. If you want a stiff .45 Colt load, then a Buffalo Bore or Grizzly load will be in the ballpark. At 1250 ft-lbs of energy, the Buffalo Bore +P Outdoorsman 325 grain load is equivalent to .44 magnum, and in many cases, exceeds it.

As noted before, such ammunition is sometimes called "ruger-only" loads with regard to single action old-west pistols. Most aren't made to handle it. If you're running something more modern and built for it, not a problem, but it's still a lot of energy in a handgun. Be careful what you use to fire this ammunition.

.45 Colt is versatile. It will take down anything in the forrest or on the street, or you can load it light and easy. Up to you. You can buy ammunition just the same.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Modern Day Savage,

I too was worried about the grip and recoil when I bought it but I’ve shot plenty of 357 magnums through it and I don’t believe the birds heads grip changes the perceived recoil or shoot ability of the gun. Actually I was surprised how comfortable it was to shoot.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Here's a terrible video.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
I could never go with Ruger because of their warning info on their barrels, especially in something like an SA revolver.

I’ll have to dig it out of the safe and take a picture, but on the New Vaquero, it’s on the underside of the barrel in small script that resembles roll marks of the era. It’s so unobtrusive I forgot it was there until I read this post.

Ok, finally as promised:

“Before using” is mostly covered by the ejector rod head.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
^ Yep, my New Model Blackhawk is the same. I actually forgot it was there!

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
.45 Colt (sometimes incorrectly called ".45 Long Colt" to distinguish it from other .45's and .45 Automatic Cold Pistol--acp) was a weak offering as found in the old west, like most cartridges. At least, by modern standards.

Yes, .45 Colt can be loaded quite stoutly and will certainly rival .44 magnum, but that is not to be used in any firearm.

Commercial loads for .45 Colt, with a few exceptions are not loaded anywhere near that hot. You can get them, but most .45 Colt loads are more of a "cowboy" load, and nothing to write home about. If you want a stiff .45 Colt load, then a Buffalo Bore or Grizzly load will be in the ballpark. At 1250 ft-lbs of energy, the Buffalo Bore +P Outdoorsman 325 grain load is equivalent to .44 magnum, and in many cases, exceeds it.

As noted before, such ammunition is sometimes called "ruger-only" loads with regard to single action old-west pistols. Most aren't made to handle it. If you're running something more modern and built for it, not a problem, but it's still a lot of energy in a handgun. Be careful what you use to fire this ammunition.

.45 Colt is versatile. It will take down anything in the forrest or on the street, or you can load it light and easy. Up to you. You can buy ammunition just the same.

Thanks! I knew that the original Old West loadings and CASS/ SASS loadings were on the lighter side, but I was not aware that the . 45 Colt could be developed into more potent loads. Excellent info!

quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsP229:
Modern Day Savage,

I too was worried about the grip and recoil when I bought it but I’ve shot plenty of 357 magnums through it and I don’t believe the birds heads grip changes the perceived recoil or shoot ability of the gun. Actually I was surprised how comfortable it was to shoot.

At first glance of the two grip styles I would've assumed otherwise, so thanks for sharing your experience!

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ok, finally as promised:

Wow, yeah, I can see how that legalese billboard could detract from the appearance of an iconic classic gun...glad Ruger finally at least learned from the mistake and relocated it to someplace less observable.

posted Hide Post
I have 3 Colt SAAs I bought from an estate 15 years ago.All NIB 2 3rd gen and a 2nd gen in the stagecoach box,all 45 Colt.Also bought a Peacemaker 22 NIB and a 1916 DWM Luger.

Posts: 94 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: July 26, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed a Ruger Bisley 45 Colt. Take time to study the SAA vs Bisley grip, as it makes a big difference.

If you have the money, I would purchase a Freedom Arms, but with all the options you want. You can’t afford to send it back to be upgraded — costs are prohibitive. I ended up selling my field grade with scope. Regret.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
45 Colt can definitely be loaded very stoutly as evidenced by the performance of the 454 Casull, which is as essentially a longer magnum version of it, ala 38 Special vs. 357 Magnum. But the performance of the original black powder loadings of 45 Colt is nothing shabby, pushing a 250 gr bullet at close to 900 FPS.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
45 Colt can definitely be loaded very stoutly as evidenced by the performance of the 454 Casull, which is as essentially a longer magnum version of it, ala 38 Special vs. 357 Magnum. But the performance of the original black powder loadings of 45 Colt is nothing shabby, pushing a 250 gr bullet at close to 900 FPS.

IMO the .45 Colt is an underappreciated cartridge, at least these days. It's got a wider cross section than the .44, can be loaded to pretty stout levels in guns of modern design, yet has less recoil than a .44 Mag. I like a 250gr bullet over 8.0 grains of Unique, which produces 1100fps out of a rifle and 900fps out of my 4 5/8" Blackhawk. As a handloader, I also appreciate that it has the same diameter as .45 ACP. It's a darn good cartridge...I just wish there were more guns available chambered in it. My dream trail gun would be a 5-shot scandium L-Frame with a 2 3/4-3" barrel and a steel cylinder, chambered in .45 Colt.

Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ok, finally as promised:

MUCH better; thanks for sharing!

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post