SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Replace My G34 With... A Staccato R? Update: It's Done!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replace My G34 With... A Staccato R? Update: It's Done! Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Years ago I acquired a Glock G34 as my "race gun." Since then I've become something of a 1911 addict and somewhat disenchanted with polymer, striker-fired pistols.

Hate to say it, but my G34 now feels like an awkward "block" in my hand Frown It's got a nice trigger--for a striker-fired pistol. I'm sure I can shoot with it. I want to like it, but it just isn't exciting me anymore.

In addition: I've been reading Brian Enos' Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundimentals. As I've corrected a number of flaws with my technique the grip angle has become a factor. (I never used to understand it when I saw others complain of it. Now I do.)

Thus I find myself toying with the idea of replacing my G34 with another 9mm race gun.

Pistols I've so far identified that might work and might be affordable: CZ Tactical Sport 2 ($1,700 MSRP), Dan Wesson DWX ($1,800 MSRP) (but vaporware, so far). I would say $2k is definitely a hard upper limit.

Too bad SIG discontinued the Match Elite Stainless. That might've done it for me.

Maybe ask the 1911 guy that has my EMP for trigger work "If you wanted to build an ``economical`` 1911 race gun, with what would you start?" Have him tune it, add extended controls, and a Sam Chen Customs mag well?

Other suggestions?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I'm slightly biased, but I'd put a slicked-up Beretta against any of those.

While I personally haven't handled one yet, sounds like a 92X might be right up your alley.

Next in line I'd look at a Langdon 92 Elite LTT with his Trigger Job in a Bag. It's ready to go at $1184.
https://www.langdontactical.co...elite-ltt-full-size/

My competition Beretta has a Springer Precision magwell and uses Springer Basepads.
https://shop.springerprecision.../beretta-m9-magwell/

I started tricking out my M9A1 before the LTTs came out, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd start with an LTT first. (Jury's out on the 92X.)

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
May I suggest a Langdon Tactical 92 Elite LTT. Very smooth w/ a great trigger.

Or a HK USP Expert. Not as nice of a trigger as the LTT but, a nice gun that is easy to shoot and works well in matches.

Posts: 4024 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are you shooting, USPSA?
What Division do you want to enter?

From what I see on the range, the CZ would be your best bet.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Snake207, 357fuzz: Noted. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
What are you shooting, USPSA?
What Division do you want to enter?

I had planned to shoot USPSA, I have the holster, etc. for it, but never got around to it. I want a pistol suitable for it, but it may never be more than a range toy.

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
From what I see on the range, the CZ would be your best bet.

Might be.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You cannot beat the Beretta 92 Elite LTT w/ his trigger job. Mine is the Centurion. And the very affordable price, as Snake207 noted above, for this superb gun is icing on the cake.

All steel guns? The CZ TS2 ($1300 - $1400) or Shadow 2 Orange ($1600 - $1800) are both outstanding. If you want a very light trigger in a SAO gun, go TS2. The Shadow 2 Orange (DA/SA) is a bit heavier in SA pull.

If I had to pick one of the above, it would be the LTT. Ymmv.

quote:
Too bad SIG discontinued the Match Elite Stainless.

I don't think SIG ever made the Match Elite Stainless (MSE) in 9mm, only the Stainless Elite. The MSE is the P220. And, the Stainless Elite is not anything close to a "race gun". You would have to send it to Robert Burke or Bruce Gray to bring it to competition level.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
You cannot beat the Beretta 92 Elite LTT w/ his trigger job. Mine is the Centurion. And the very affordable price, as Snake207 noted above, for this superb gun is icing on the cake.

Three votes for the Beretta. Only problem is I've never even fondled a Beretta 92, much less shot one. Whereas...

quote:
All steel guns? The CZ TS2 ($1300 - $1400) or Shadow 2 Orange ($1600 - $1800) are both outstanding. If you want a very light trigger in a SAO gun, go TS2. The Shadow 2 Orange (DA/SA) is a bit heavier in SA pull.

Yeah, I want SA only. And I have fired a CZ 75B. Performed quite well with it, too. In fact: I'd wanted a CZ 75B, but CZ stopped making them in satin stainless, I don't like polished stainless, and I didn't want it in their PolyCoat. That's when I picked up the G34.

quote:
If I had to pick one of the above, it would be the LTT. Ymmv.

Noted.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Too bad SIG discontinued the Match Elite Stainless.

I don't think SIG ever made the Match Elite Stainless (MSE) in 9mm, ...

Review: Sig’s Matchmaker: The 1911 Match Elite Stainless: You won’t have an excuse for missing again with the Sig Sauer 1911 Match Elite Stainless chambered in 9MM
These guys claim to have one in stock: SIG SAUER 1911 Traditional Match Elite Stainless Model Pistol

quote:
And, the Stainless Elite is not anything close to a "race gun".

I may be playing a bit loose with the term "race gun" Wink

Thanks for the input!

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Aah, the 1911 SIG, something I never paid attention to. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Maybe another option is to get a different Glock frame. Shadow Systems, ZEV, Poly80 are all manufactured options, or a number of folks cut them down. I have a G34 customized by Dane Burns that fits my hands like it was grown there.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"race gun."

that means lots of different things to different people. What's does it mean to you? No matter what you think I have never seen something based on a G34 that I would call a race gun.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10970 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently went from the G34 -> Staccato XL. It wont fit in your upper limit budget. I'm still getting used to the 2011 platform vs Glock's.

I didn't want a race gun, and don't consider it to be one. I just really enjoy shooting it.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
"race gun."

that means lots of different things to different people. What's does it mean to you?

A pistol with characteristics and features that lend themselves to rapidly acquiring and shooting targets, reloading, and so on.

quote:
No matter what you think I have never seen something based on a G34 that I would call a race gun.

It's accurate, has a tuned trigger, extended controls. It was designed by Glock for practical pistol shooting competition such as USPSA, etc. *shrug*

When I was shooting pins I could knock 'em down nearly as fast with my G34 as I could with my .22 RF.

posted Hide Post
Like I said race gun means different things to different people. In my experience it means a 2011 double stack, single action, big mag, 9mm major or .38 Super to generate gas to the comp, red dot optic, huge mag well, and a comp on the front to use the gas generated. Literally what most every race gun in open looks like.
That's why it matters to the question posed above of what class and what rules you want the replacement to be optimized for... *shrug*.
I've shot a highly modified G34 for years in the classes it was good at and I can't say that anybody in those events would ever describe it as a 'race gun'.
FWIW. I have a CZ Shadow 2 and its pretty darn nice but for what you want get a TS2 and be happy.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10970 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
... for what you want get a TS2 and be happy.

That was the direction I was leaning. Wanted to find out if there were options I was missing.

posted Hide Post
Bull Shadow.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Bull Shadow.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I want DA/SA.

In fact: I'm certain of it.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Why are you pitter pattering down the road for suggestions if you don’t want this or that?

You KNOW the answer. Based upon your post.

Something in the STI cool guy range. It checks every box you want, and some you don’t even know. (stacatto/STI used interchangeably in this thread). To me, violating the hard upper limit should even be considered as one of the Stacatto choices seem to be made for you. Seems like you’d be a bronze god with one. People would build rattan statues in your likeness.

Do it. Be done with it. Enjoy a great choice.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CZ. I personally would wait for the DWX based on your desires. I suspect that will be the gun to beat in your niche in the coming years if CZ makes that lineup anything like their Shadow line. Pure winner. Reasonably priced, cheap plentiful mags and parts, lots of support. Be patient. They have to pretend to ship from Czechoslovakia and that takes a lot of pretend time nowadays. Lol

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Why are you pitter pattering down the road for suggestions if you don’t want this or that?

Sorry for annoying you Wink, but, like I said: Though I did extensive research, I thought it wise to check here in case there was something I missed.

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
You KNOW the answer. Based upon your post.

Something in the STI cool guy range. It checks every box you want, ...

Ha! No doubt. And back when an STI DVC could be had for less than $2k I might just be going that way and be done with it. But Staccato, nice as they may be, have priced themselves well out of my range--with the possible exception of a Staccato P.

Hell, if I could just go for it, I'd probably go for a Staccato XC with an optic.

Champagne tastes and a beer budget Smile

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
CZ. I personally would wait for the DWX based on your desires. I suspect that will be the gun to beat in your niche in the coming years ...

I suspect you may be right and I'm considering doing just that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I want DA/SA.

In fact: I'm certain of it.

The bull shadow, like most of the CZ lineup, can be had single action or double action. I have bull shadows with both. The single action triggers are quite good. (So are the double action). You can get it either way, or have it set up either way.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post