SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Don’t need a 92X…but I really want one…
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don’t need a 92X…but I really want one… Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I personally prefer my WC Berettas over the Langdon, but that is just like, my opinion man.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone who voiced their thoughts and opinions…appreciate it!!!

Last night I had some time to kill while kids were at soccer practice and went to see what the local stores had. I’ve been eyeing a few things on Gunbroker, but the recent stories were keeping me from moving forward.

Anyway, found a 92X GR at one local place…for $800…and the sales guy wasn’t too keen on getting it out (he seemed to be busy on his phone), so I left. Went to another place I had checked earlier (and they didn’t have any) and there in the case was a 92X GR…for $649. Needless to say, it came home with me. Next step is to do the trigger job in a bag.

I was dead set on using the hump grip, but the more I handled it, the more the Vertec grip grows on me.

Again, thanks to everyone who chimed in!

Posts: 715 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As the owner of over 25 SIGs, I've been feeling the same way about the 92. I'd looking at a LT in both 9mm and .22LR

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new acquisition & amount paid for it. You’ll enjoy the TJIAB upgrades and find why so many have come to appreciate the attributes of this fine pistol. One other upgrade to consider. Lok veloce grips Wink
quote:
Originally posted by JDHunz:

Last night I had some time to kill while kids were at soccer practice and went to see what the local stores had. I’ve been eyeing a few things on Gunbroker, but the recent stories were keeping me from moving forward.

Anyway, found a 92X GR at one local place…for $800…and the sales guy wasn’t too keen on getting it out (he seemed to be busy on his phone), so I left. Went to another place I had checked earlier (and they didn’t have any) and there in the case was a 92X GR…for $649. Needless to say, it came home with me. Next step is to do the trigger job in a bag.

I was dead set on using the hump grip, but the more I handled it, the more the Vertec grip grows on me.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Yes. Have them on all my 92’s. Remarkable reset Wink
quote:
Originally posted by dcowboyscr:
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
I have two 92XG compacts that I’ve customized over the last year with various Wilson & Langdon Mods. Fantastic shooters! Like them so much I’ve sold off my P229 & P226. Sig blasphemy I know but I’m winnowing what I use & like.
Have you tried the LTT Optimized trigger bar yet? I’ve got one of those on order for my regular 92FS.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Well I didn’t say you had to date the guy. I said he’s the best 92 guy out there. You can argue that all day but even Robert Burke would probably send his 92 to Langdon, lol. As for undercuts and checkering I suppose that’s personal preference but you are way in the minority here. There isn’t a single platform that making cuts to raise your grip on the gun aren’t popular because they work. Getting your hand higher on any gun is going to improve your performance. That isn’t arguable on any rational level.

Enjoy your 3 dot sights because that’s what you are getting stuck with. You can’t change your front sight so I hope you love that big white Italian dot. Best you can do is have someone drill it for a FO rod. I have one of those on an old 92FS slide, it’s better but it isn’t as good as being able to swap to whatever you want whenever you want.

You can hate Bruniton all you want but I have my first 92F that is over 30 years old and the finish protects the gun just fine. You want fancy colors knock yourself out. If you think Bruniton guns are rusting away that’s just bullshit.

Does Burke even work on 92’s anymore? His website seems to indicate no. If you can break down a 92 the TJIAB with some judicious polishing will get you as good as you could want.

Just seeing this. The amount of force and telling someone to do something just doesn’t work. I mentioned what I was going to do so arguing it with me isn’t going to do anything.

Robert Burke is working on the trigger right now. It’s already been dropped off. And no he isn’t sending it to Langdon. He’s already examined some of Langdon’s pistols before. I’ll do a write up with digital trigger gauge numbers at some point. I’ve shot 92’s before. It just isn’t a platform I have any difficulty with to require cuts. Not required here. Burke was excited to work on it to see what he could do with the platform.

I’m not concerned with the stock sights whatsoever. It will not be a carry pistol. I have other Berettas for that with my preferred night sights. I’m very familiar with them as well. There is nothing really new under the sun with 92’s. You know what you get or don’t get with them. They are not a new platform by any stretch.

Again, don’t know why you are so heated with this… Bruniton is crap finish to me. It starts flaking off the first 500 rounds. After a few long runs, once I field strip it I’m scraping it off the interior of the slide. CCR’s finishes are very durable, self lubricating, just better than other offerings. It’s something I’m willing to pay for, not asking you nor anyone else to pay for it for me.

Not interested in trigger in a bag stuff either. Again my preference my pistols, my money, it’s going to Burke. Coated parts are nice, but having a skilled smith go through the entire thing is better to me than some parts in a bag. Robert shoots his work too. Tests them. I like having a gunsmith.

This 92, is a F and was inherited from a dead man. Not that is any of your business. I’m not going to sell it to go fund what YOU think I should buy. I’m keeping it as I think he’d want me to have it. Set his son up with a real nice rig as well, cherry picking his nicest pieces. The rest is going to help the widow pay for her 2 kids college. She has a lot on her shoulders.

But what I said stands. I did a full PX4 set not long ago, all 3 sizes. I saw Langdon’s offerings, don’t like NP3, nor the sights he chose, not a fan. The NP3 is thin to boot. And it was less expensive for me to buy a set of PX4’s at the time. $350-400 for each, and only 1 was used. Then had Burke work the triggers and 2 of the 3 are carry pistols so those were sent to CCR. What I got back was some absolutely stunning pistols in the finish I want, sights I want, and spectacular trigger work. 10/4, short reset, crisp solid breaks on what I would call ideal carry level triggers. Stunning triggers and always love CCR’s excellent craftsmanship. I didn’t save much money on any of them compared to the LTT offerings once complete but then again for my needs I got better finish, my preferred sights, and smith worked triggers. Magnificent pistols. Acquiring this 92, time to do it again. Even if I had not “inherited” this fine 92F. I would have bought one and done it my way. Nobody has a monopoly on these pistols, sorry.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your purchase and great price! At one time I had 42 Beretta 92 variations. I am down to a dozen now but the 92X Performance is one of them. Great pistol! I really like the 92X series and I am sure you will too. I am on the hunt for a 92X compact G no rail.

Anyway, congrats again!

quote:
Originally posted by JDHunz:

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you read a heated response where no heat was intended. I merely chuckle at your choice of a 92F as the preferred 92 to begin mods with. I have a 92F from 1985 (I believe), nice gun but not the one I would choose from scratch. Hell even trying to procure a small hammer pin as a spare is a challenge. Everybody has the large pin the small pin is much tougher to find.

Once you explained that the 92F is sentimental to you then your choice made sense. Anyone else starting from scratch wouldn’t or shouldn’t choose a 92 F for multiple reasons.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
For SIG, go Burke.
For Beretta, go Langdon.
For CZ, go either CGW or CZC.

My take is a good smith is a good smith, none of the above platforms require extensive knowledge to perfect.
I remember when Gray was the defacto Sig smith, I still sent mine to Robert with no regrets. When I needed my HK’s done, Robert wasn’t even offering HK service but took my P30 and VP9, both are top notch.
A good mechanic is a good mechanic, same as a smith.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea, except that Langdon has actually designed new parts that improve the action. Have you tried the OP trigger bar? It’s better. It makes any 92 better. Is Burke going to install one of those because without doing so you aren’t going to squeeze out the best trigger all else being equal.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Gallatin plant had some QC issues with their finishes when they first started. Most folks seem to be happy with their guns, but it seems like they haven't totally got that problem sorted out yet.

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dawes:
The Gallatin plant had some QC issues with their finishes when they first started. Most folks seem to be happy with their guns, but it seems like they haven't totally got that problem sorted out yet.

After getting it home and tearing it apart to clean and oil, I inspected it thoroughly and was impressed by the fit and finish. I’ve seen a few of the early TN Guns and some looked like my neighbor kid rattle-canned the finish.

I slapped the curve grip on and was concerned a bit about it not fitting as well as the stock grips, but it’s settled into place nicely. My son (13) who has smaller hands actually had no problem with the larger grip when handling and manipulating it. He does, though, need both thumbs for the decocker as it’s a bit of a stretch right now.

Posts: 715 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a TN plant-made 92G Centurion with 92X frame, like this one: https://www.riflegear.com/p-13...ded-view-50125266137
The gun is well-made. shoots reliably. Finish is fine. I am thinking it would benefit from a fiber optic rod in the front sight, but can't figure to which gunsmith to send the slide, without 4-months wait.

Posts: 287 | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcowboyscr:
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
I have two 92XG compacts that I’ve customized over the last year with various Wilson & Langdon Mods. Fantastic shooters! Like them so much I’ve sold off my P229 & P226. Sig blasphemy I know but I’m winnowing what I use & like.
Have you tried the LTT Optimized trigger bar yet? I’ve got one of those on order for my regular 92FS.

I had an LTT optomized bar, while reset was short it took away all tactile reset negating the shortness. Went back to stock. The result nor the price was worth it IMO.

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dawes:

No they haven't, they look horrible. OP I suggest you wait or buy in person after a thorough inspection.
Out of three 92X's, returned one for damage/bad machining, two had bad machining and rough finishing inside. Not the usual Beretta fit and finish.

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yea, except that Langdon has actually designed new parts that improve the action. Have you tried the OP trigger bar? It’s better. It makes any 92 better. Is Burke going to install one of those because without doing so you aren’t going to squeeze out the best trigger all else being equal.

I dont know what he would do. I imagine if its a critical change, he can make his own trigger bar just like everyone else who does custom 92 work, or custom work at all.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s the thing. Guys aren’t making trigger bars. WC makes one and Langdon makes a better one. Who else do you know of making one? Burke doesn’t make one.

posted Hide Post
I just purchased the 92X performance and you have tp upgrade the stock grips. Ended up getting some Lok grips. It's too bad they don't make a Optics cut one.

https://imgur.com/lsmCz2U

Posts: 24 | Registered: January 04, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s nice. Those LOK grips look like they feel fantastic. I’ve never shot a VERTEC so I don’t know if I like them or not. I might try one though. Pics like that don’t help. lol

posted Hide Post
quote:
That’s nice. Those LOK grips look like they feel fantastic. I’ve never shot a VERTEC so I don’t know if I like them or not. I might try one though. Pics like that don’t help. lol

My performance 92x came with both sets of grips. I tried both and went back to the humped style. Which is odd for me, because I dislike arched mains springs in 1911's.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post