SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Springfield Emissary or Garrison in 45 ACP - any thoughts?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield Emissary or Garrison in 45 ACP - any thoughts? Login/Join 
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
I think the emissary looks and feels great. It does have very aggressive texturing on it in my opinion so shooting without gloves could hurt, but I haven’t shot one just held one we had here.

The garrison is like half the price (maybe not quite half but quite a bit cheaper). And I agree the garrison seems very much like a loaded model, which there’s nothing wrong with

UPDATE:
LGS had a blued Garrison - I went--I held---I bought on impulse - Very pleased so far.

As luck would have it---stopped at same LGS today for some mags - lo-N-behold an Emissary in the case. I picked it up for feel:

The only way to describe it - sharp front strap checkering edges - grips not comfy at all. I expect under recoil these will be problematic.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sgalczyn,

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
If I wanted a new economy but quality grade 70 series 1911 I would choose the Garrison model.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
If I wanted a new economy but quality grade 70 series 1911 I would choose the Garrison model.

Edited to add: I think you made the right choice !

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
The only way to describe it - sharp front strap checkering edges - grips not comfy at all.

Do you think you could find a larger photo? That one allows the thread to still be nearly readable.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
The only way to describe it - sharp front strap checkering edges - grips not comfy at all.

Do you think you could find a larger photo? That one allows the thread to still be nearly readable.

Apologies and revised...............

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Blue is similar to the stainless in finish. Brush polished flats and matte rounds. It's nice enough, very similar to recent Colts.

Actually in general mine is better than a current Colt in slide to frame fit, barrel fit and lockup and various other aspects. It's not quite as tight as a Les Baer but it's a lot tighter than any Colt and most Springfields.

I'm going to try the Nighthawk drop in trigger kit (it has a small stainless chassis similar to a CMC AR trigger. If I like it I'll add a new Ambi safety. If not, I'll just clean up the stock firing group parts and replace the mainspring with a 19 lb Ed Brown spring.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
There's a lot about the Emissary I like. However the rail, long passed trendy square trigger guard and lack of fully adjustable sights just turn me right off to it. I'm not a huge fan of tri-topped slides, but I am of upper texturing.

I'm missing something on the Garrison I guess? It's just a 1911, but they're making them like they should have been all along? Big Grin

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely Garrison

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I love 1911's and own a few. I think the Ronin or Garrison are a great representation of what a 1911 should be.

that said I bought 2 Emissary's one in 9mm and the 45. I love the feel/ texture and weight of them for shooting. I tend to prefer a very rough texture.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the opportunity to check out the Emmisary today. The visuals don't really appeal to me as I don't care for the blocky texture. (I don't really mind the beveled slide though. Reminds me of my CZs). However, I have to admit that it is very effective! That thing would be locked in while shooting it. Also, slide/frame/barrel fit was very tight. It was actually really tough to rack the slide. Trigger seemed to be pretty good as well. I think it would be a very effective 1911 for a good price.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
My buddy just got the stainless Garrison, loves it!

HK Ag

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Follow up:

The Nighthawk drop in kit arrived but I don't like it very much. The stock grip safety interferes with the folded metal casing of the kit, the hammer is narrow and small, and the rowel is smaller and harder to thumb cock. And when installed without the grip safety that wouldn't fit, the manual safety would need major refitting.

So I did a trigger job on the Garrison's stock parts - squared the hammer hooks and cut to proper height, then polished. Stoned sear to proper height (using an Ed Brown sear jig) and polished, then stoned a mild secondary angle. Polished all contact surfaces on the trigger bar and disconnector, and adjusted the sear spring. Now it has a relatively light takeup and a 4 lb let off, even with the stock mainspring. And the safety is still fine, no re-fitting needed.

As it is now, with the trigger cleaned up, the tight slide to frame and barrel to slide fit, and nice brushed/matte blued finish, it's a hell of a lot better than the sub-$800 price I paid. Still need an ambi safety but I might wait on that.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Brought home mine today. She's tight and we'll built.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought a Garrison lasts month to add to the fleet of 1911's. Really nice, tight gun but had to get rid of the MIM parts. Ordered STI sears and hammers from Dawson and had a Wilson Combat slide stop. Range time showed I had to drift the rear sight a touch. So far 100% reliable after around 500 rounds and outstanding trigger with the new sear and hammer. IMO, a great bargain. (Also put a Wilson Combat shock buff in her)

Posts: 82 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Brought home mine today. She's tight and we'll built.

That is a really good looking 1911. Very simple, understated and classy.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I picked up an all stainless Garrison, very happy with it thus far.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarms229,

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Garrison looks super nice for a clean non rail 1911.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks great.

Reminds me of my old base S&W 1911 I used to have (minus the external extractor).

If I ever get back into the 1911 game, I’d be looking really close at these models.

Posts: 993 | Location: Northwest NJ | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Well..... I could help but to start fiddling with it.
Vz grips, Ed Brown magwell, Trijicon Fiber sights, and trigger components from Cylinder-Slide.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I looked at the stainless Garrison today at a LGS. While I would prefer a .45, I'm all-in on 9mm, and I think it would be easier for Mrs. to shoot. Anyone gots any feedback on the Garrison in 9mm?

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post