SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I MIGHT try a "micro 9" at some point in the near future, opinions sought please and thank you
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I MIGHT try a "micro 9" at some point in the near future, opinions sought please and thank you Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
The G48 isn’t very micro but it is thin. I call it the 90% G19. Very close in all dimensions but thinner and doesn’t give up much to the G19 for me.

I have the G48 MOS and put a red dot on it. It’s a ton easier to conceal, for me, more than the measurements suggest.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y7cqO-yj6M

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8353 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
What is your current carry?

Looking for a full size grip in a reliable pistol that is thin ---> Glock 48.

Full size grip --reliable and slightly wider--> Sig 365 XL with Magguts magazine conversion. Conversion adds 1/4" to the grip making it full size. Mag capacity goes up and reloading is much easier.

Glock 48 with Shield mags and replace mag release to metal mag release will increase capacity.

Posts: 2333 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Shield Plus is the best fit for me. The grip overall is the most comfortable and the texture, while a bit rough, can be smoothed out with a little light sanding. Accuracy is quite good with it and I never had an issue with it. It is probably the lowest prices gun out there, compared to the others you have listed.

I had a P365 but the grip was a little small for me to grip solidly. The 43X/48 always gave me slide bite unfortunately, as I really loved those guns and wanted them to work for me. Ruger makes a good gun but they are a little too slim for me as well.

They are all good guns, you just have to figure which fits you best.

Posts: 6993 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me, "thin" means single-stack. I love the 365, but there are thinner options, although they give away some capacity. A standard Shield with MagGuts +2 adapters gives you 9+1 from the standard mag or 10+1 from the extended mag. I'm not sure I'd call it "micro," though.

Out in the left field, there's the Beretta APX A1 Carry. Lower capacity, but very thin, and available cheap, cheap, cheap: $299.99 from Bass Pro -- $249.99 after the $50 rebate.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/e...rry-semi-auto-pistol

Posts: 846 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have single stacks. I really just want to try one of the stack and a half options for “academic” reasons so to speak. I don’t have a NEED for one of these in any way.

My primary carry 99% of the time is an HK P2000 so basically a Glock 19 sized gun and I am perfectly happy with that.

Very occasionally I will grab a JFrame or a Walther PPS.

I basically want something about the size of a PPS with the 7 or 8 round mag but with a 10 plus capacity.

I think I’ve ruled the P365 series out. As much as it has going for it there just isn’t enough room for my support grip. It’s shootable but I feel like my support hand is the last guy in a crowded elevator.

I’ve not shot a shield plus but have shot shield…….negatives Razz. The shield grip works for me and I quite like the new trigger albeit being a little light for my taste. (DA/SA troglodyte that I am and all).

I’ve not shot the Hellcat Pro and the grip is a bit “squared” off feeling. Not sure how that would translate. Almost feels like a super thin USP grip sans the aggressive checkering. It presents and points nicely though.

The Glock 48 absolutely feels like a thin 19. This is good and bad. While I shoot Glocks well enough and I don’t fall into the OHHH MY GOD THE GRIP ANGLE MAKES ME MORTER A ROUND INTO THE NEXT COUNTY!!! People, I do have to be more cognizant of it as I more naturally point less aggressive grip angled guns.

The FN reflex is super nice in the hand and the trigger is fine but it’s brand new and a wild card.

The IWI Masada that I held was quite nice and the fact it takes CZ mags is a neat party trick and useful to me.

The Canik Mete, I really didn’t like the trigger for some reason. Not sure why as I can shoot anything really but I just don’t like the trigger. Not saying I wouldn’t shoot it well enough but it just seemed meh all around. I know damn near nobody has a bad experience with Caniks in general and I am not saying they suck just saying they don’t “trip my personal trigger” for some reason.

Honestly I think the Shield Plus is making the most sense. Good track record, good product support, big enough for me to draw and grip properly with the 13 rounder as thin as the PPS and priced well even with an optics cut and night sights. This might be my gun of choice when it comes down to it. Probably be a few months down the road but I really do appreciate all the input.

Take care shoot safe
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7790 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FN reflex here as well. I put a holosun EPS on it. I have about 700 rounds thru it and its been perfect

Posts: 547 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1 vote for the Mossberg MC2SC. It's the only micro 9 I have, and got it for 3 reasons (descending order):
- option to 'extend' the grip with 14rd mag
- trigger
- takedown procedure

It was also nice that, at the time I got mine, they were doing a promo for a free IWB Black Arch holster, which has turned out to be pretty good. I've since bought 2 other holsters from them.

Posts: 471 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn’t Pro, but a Hellcat with manual safety and several mags along with a Shield RMSc. If interested you can email me, I’ve been down the CCW rabbit hole for years and will be listing several in the classifieds soon. Thanks.

Posts: 1660 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I think I’ve ruled the P365 series out. As much as it has going for it there just isn’t enough room for my support grip.

Even with the XL? If you like everything else about the 365, you could do an XL frame with a mag extension.

Posts: 846 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s been 100% reliable >500 rounds, best grip of the bunch with a concealable 11 round mag and the option for 15 rounders in a smaller pkg than the Xmacro. The option of the 11 rd mag for IWB and the 15rd mag as backup, in this regard bests the XMacro and Shield. All in all, it’s tied with the P365X Macro for controllability with all ammo without the comp blast.

Can't speak about the Reflex's shootability since I haven't shot one yet, but it should be pointed out that the Shield+ has had a factory 15rd mag option for a while now and the Macro/XMacro tandem come with 17 rounders from Day One to better take advantage of their larger grip size. The Reflex may be trying to displace the popularity of the G19 like the 365XL does, but the Macro is instead trying to put down the G17. Just sayin'...

-MG

Posts: 2149 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've tried most of them and settled on the G48 though I do have a hellcat that works when I need something smaller in the grip. I like that you can do shield and PSA mags with the 48 to make it the same cap as a 19. Both are good. The 365 is good if you like it, I just cant seem to keep them.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I kind of like the G48, maybe it just feels better in my hand than the 19. It just doesn't do anything I need doing... enough.

When I think "thin 9mm" the G43 comes to mind... but it's really not any thinner than the 365 or similar guns. Choice of holster will matter more than the difference between the guns.

My only real advice is if there's any way you can, try them all. Actually shooting them if possible. I tried the 365 several times over the last few years and could never make it not feel wrong in my hand, uncomfortable. I dismissed the Hellcat when it came out because for some reason I thought it was a larger gun, closer to G26 size. When I finally learned it was about the same size as my XDS (which I love), I hurried to try one.I always liked the G43, but one more round wasn't enough reason to buy one. Five more was a good enough excuse though. Big Grin

I have 700-800(?) rounds through it so far, no malfunctions other than the ones that were in part my fault.

(cause by the MCARBO metal striker sleeve/striker spring and +P ammo combo. Those parts and standard ammo, no problem. +P ammo, MCARBO striker sleeve, Apex or stock striker spring, no problem )

Posts: 21248 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
You really can't go wrong with the P365.

Posts: 13708 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Honestly I think the Shield Plus is making the most sense. Good track record, good product support, big enough for me to draw and grip properly with the 13 rounder as thin as the PPS and priced well even with an optics cut and night sights. This might be my gun of choice when it comes down to it. Probably be a few months down the road but I really do appreciate all the input.

If you wait until Nov around Veterans Day and Black Friday, I bet there will be some great deals &/or rebates on Shield Plus and other S&Ws.

Posts: 3227 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Yeah I’m not in a rush so when a deal comes around. I have a totally different toy on the way so this is a down the road thing for me I just value real folks perspectives and opinions and if one or the other is TRULY a turd you can usually suss that out fairly quickly. The fact that most folks seem to like one or the other or the other etc. etc. tells me there aren’t any real stinkers in the bunch just feature/brand/feel preferences and that’s a good thing.

Thanks again all. I do really appreciate everybody’s input.

Posts: 7790 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Also how the hell has Walther not produced an option in this market. They damn near pioneered the poly single stack tiny 9mm.

Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also how the hell has Walther not produced an option in this market. They damn near pioneered the poly single stack tiny 9mm.

I heard that why Walther, HK, & CZ (perhaps Beretta too?) are late to the 1.5 stack micro-9 party has to do w/ certain import restrictions or regulations. I don't know why it affects Germany and Czech Republic but not Croatia (Hellcat) or Turkey (Canik).

Posts: 3227 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When did a P365 become a "micro"? A micro is a pistol that fits in your pocket in a holster.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kahr MK9 all stainless steel would be my recommendation provided you are not opposed to the weight associated with an all steel pistol.

Posts: 2019 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I’m fairly sure I live two hours north of you. You can come up and shoot the ones I have any time.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37143 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post