SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I MIGHT try a "micro 9" at some point in the near future, opinions sought please and thank you
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I MIGHT try a "micro 9" at some point in the near future, opinions sought please and thank you Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So I am tinkering with the idea of picking up a "micro 9" to play with. Am I doing this because my current carry is inadequate.....no. Am I doing this because I am a gun geek.....yes. Big Grin

So that being said I think I have narrowed down my general thoughts on the Glock 48 and the HellCat Pro.

While I like the P365XL and XMacro in principle they seem to have there share of issues here and there and my hands are a bit crowded on them, at least the XL.

I am looking more for thin than tiny, hence more in that 365XL/Glock 48/Hellcat Pro.

So any opinions? Springfield politics aside. My general overall glancing and reading about them all kind of goes something like this.

-Glock 48 - Probably the most reliable in terms of out of the box will it work without any real gotcha's. Good finish, real rail, crappy sights that will need to be replaced, smaller capacity (although I don't really feel 10+1 is a huge penalty box). Mags are dirt cheap and technically there are higher capacity options should I want to vet them.

-SIG P365X/XL/etc. - Good capacity, great sights, proprietary rail, a little crowded in the grip for me, crappy mag release in my experience and a fair number of various complaints and issue ranging from mechanical in nature to finish issues, but with a huge user base who very much like them. Expensive mags.

-Hellcat Pro - I like the size, great sights (for me), great capacity, real rail, meh trigger but I am not a trigger snob, seems to have a durable finish, fairly priced and fairly priced magazines. Overall there seems to be fairly few complaints about this gun.

-Shield Plus - Feels good, nice size, good sights available, no rail, good finish, fairly priced gun and magazines. There seems to be a fair number of complaints about magazine issues, however and the slide stop spring jumping.

So any insights, opinions etc. Again I am just tinkering with the idea of picking one of these up. Safety, Reliability and durability are my primary concerns for the most part. I can make any trigger work. While the Glock is certainly behind in the stock magazine capacity that is more of a tertiary concern for me. 10+ and I am fairly happy.

As always I appreciate everybody's individual insights and experience.

Take care, shoot safe.
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7846 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I am a pretty big fan of my P365MS (manual safety). Not really a fan of Sig's X-ray sights and plan on changing them out eventually, but overall I like it best compared to everything else I handled and checked out!

Posts: 4765 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Shield Plus is a great gun and a bargain right now. You can easily find them online for well under $400. If you do a little digging, you could probably find the OR version w/ NS for under $400. Unfortunately, S&W's 'Three free magazines' rebate ended on Aug 31. If lack of a rail is a dealbreaker for you, then move along.

Another gun to consider is the IWI Masada Slim. It's comparable in price & size to a Shield Plus, has a rail, and comes OR. They're a bit harder to find though. I considered one, b/c they're compatible w/ CZ 75 mags, but I'm committed to the Shield Plus and have at least ten mags for it.

Posts: 3252 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Can't say much about the Hellcat, neighbor has the Shield and loves it, carries it everywhere, I think he has the Performance Series M2.0 ported model

I have the Glock 48 and 43, both have a place for carry and typical Glock performance. I took the 48 lower and put the 43 upper on it to make my own 43X. For carry the 43X makes more sense, shorter barrel and more capacity, with the Shield Mags you can carry 15 + 1.

JMO you should consider the 43X as well as the 48.

SigP365, it's on my short list for new carry, mainly because I like Sig pistols and I'm looking at the 380 model. I carry the Ruger LCP Max 380 for more rounds and light carry weight so the Sig would go into replace it. I do agree though that the trigger is mushy on the sig and would benefit from some upgrades if that is bothersome.

The teething issues with the P365 are well behind it, and with any high production firearm there will be a few with issues, Sig seems to be responsive for those that report those issues.

The other issue is, do I really need/want to drop close to $600-$800 for it... So far I've been able to resist LOL

Just thinking, you might look into Rugers Max 9 it fits the criteria, light, thin, 12+1 capacity. Link

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Regarding the crappy mag release on the SIG P365, I can HIGHLY recommend the Armory Craft Extended Checkered Mag Release as an upgrade. I find the Mag Release on the P365 somewhat slick/lacking in purchase, and a little to flat to the Grip Module. The Armory Craft is only extended 2mm, but it's a night & day difference when compared to the SIG oem Mag Release. I consider it a mandatory upgrade the P365.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post

When you buy a G48, Hellcat, etc, that is what you get. The thing I like with the 365 is that I can mix and match grip modules, and slides at my leisure. I only lose a little bit in performance with the 365 over a compact pistol such as a G19.

My current configuration is the standard 365 with the 12 round grip extender. I carry this in appendix. If I want to switch to pocket or ankle carry, I put in a 10 round mag and roll with it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37156 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
My vote is 365. I use an XL Wilson frame on a regular sized slide for CCW. The fact is that I shoot the 365 best with the 12rd sized frame. I belt carry with a Milt Sparks Criterion IWB. I also have a 365XL Tac pac that is cut for an optic that is equipped with the same Wilson module. I’m not sure if I’ll ever put an optic on this platform but I do like to train with the XL.

I will also say that for SD ammo, I use Federal HST 124gr. Why’ll I use +p in my larger 9mm guns, I don’t shoot them as well in the 365 sized guns.

Posts: 3021 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another alternative is the Canik Mete subcompact. It's more like a "tweener"; not really as thin as a "true" micro 9, but not as bulky as a Glock G26 either. Slender enough that it doesn't feel as cumbersome as a more traditional double stack 9mm design. And it's coolest trick? It can use actual TP9 sized magazines. Purty cool using factory 18rd rounders (well, at least in places where you're allowed to BUY them, so unlike here Frown ).

-MG

Posts: 2188 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
The thing I like with the 365 is that I can mix and match grip modules, and slides at my leisure.

This is definitely in my thought process. Not sure if I would end up using this capability but definitely a nice to have.

quote:
I can HIGHLY recommend the Armory Craft Extended Checkered Mag Release as an upgrade.

This is good info. Thank you.

quote:
If lack of a rail is a dealbreaker for you, then move along.

Not a deal breaker in any way in this class of gun but always a nice to have.

quote:
JMO you should consider the 43X as well as the 48.

I have found that I do better concealing a longer barrel (within reason I’m not going 88 magnum or anything Smile) as it “balances” better on my body. I also tend to prefer a little more barrel length to get most 9mm HP ammo up into their “sweet spot”. All just a personal preference thing not throwing the 43x specifically out for any other reason per se.

As for the IWI and Canik’s of all the guns I’ve owned over the years I’ve never owned either brand. I’ve shot lots of IWI guns and they have always been quality. I’ve never shot any Canik pistol and I’ve generally avoided Turkish guns probably due to an experience with a really crappy Hi-Power clone many years ago, so it could just be unwarranted bias on my part.

I would definitely stay in the XL-48 sized “foot print” as I have no problem concealing a Walther PPS with an 8 round mag and that is actually a bit bigger in grip length then a 43x/48.

Honestly I am wavering between the P365XL, G48 and Hellcat Pro, at least for my mental exercise, we haven’t yet moved on to the checkbook bonus round. Wink

Thanks all.

Posts: 7846 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
This! Being able to configure different gun setups using a single FCU is huge and now that the Macro is out, you get 17-round magazines!

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

When you buy a G48, Hellcat, etc, that is what you get. The thing I like with the 365 is that I can mix and match grip modules, and slides at my leisure. I only lose a little bit in performance with the 365 over a compact pistol such as a G19.

My current configuration is the standard 365 with the 12 round grip extender. I carry this in appendix. If I want to switch to pocket or ankle carry, I put in a 10 round mag and roll with it.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4356 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I tried the 365 standard and it was too small for me (capacity), so I added the 365X frame and a safety and now it's flawless.

If you want true micro, the Khar PM9 is still around.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34365 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
If single action is ok - Take a look at the Sig 938. My pocket pistol is the LCP Max.

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 358 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Have you considered the p365 x-macro?
It gets you the normal pic rail - and also gets you 17 round capacity with a normal mag.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1564 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tactical Development makes a Tactical Application rail for the P365xl/P365X/P365

Posts: 120 | Location: RI | Registered: January 05, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried them all, settled on S&W M&P Shield Plus, mine specifically is the 4" Performance Center version. I have my choice of 10rd, 13rd, or 15rd magazines. Stock trigger doesn't need any work and grip texture is serious. I've used in several IDPA matches and it runs!

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 989 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Don’t overlook a Kahr CM9/PM9

One of the most shootable little 9mm’s you’ll ever find with an amazingly good, smooth trigger right out of the box.

A CM9 is my EDC now.

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I am not a "micro 9" fan at all. I have owned "a few" and I have shot, "more than a few", but I don't really care for them.

If I had to pick one again at some point down the line, it would be another Shadow Systems CR920. I had it, fired 200 rounds through it without issue, but decided that I just didn't need/want it. I sold it to my buddy who is EDCing it now.

My wife, who also doesn't care for the micro 9s (her EDC since she switched to it in Dec 2006 has been a Glock 26) also said that if she had to go with a smaller gun, the CR920 would be the one.

Good luck with your choice, lots of good options out there today.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
It's hard to beat the P365 for the one do it all micro 9. IMO, the PM9 is no slouch either. I have both and they both have a place in my rotation. I'm hoping HK has their SFP9CC (VP9CC in US?) out by mid next year. I'll be all over that one.

Posts: 749 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have single stack itty bitty 9’s. Looking at the stack and a half stuff.

I do very much like the feel of the XMacro. I also very much like the feel and trigger of the Shield Plus. With the 13 round mag it’s about perfect in feel. I think the Smith and the 365XL are in my top slots.

Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
I’ve had all of the above and still have a P365 X Macro Comp. Best grip and controllability of all of them. The regular 365 was too small in the grip, and the 365X wasn’t much better in controllability. Thumbs forward on the 365/365X and after 50 rounds my support size thumb was blistered by the slide takedown lever. Doesn’t happen with the XMacro thou.

Didn’t like the Hellcat at all. The G43x was ok, but lacked capacity in it’s standard config.

Shield + is a great gun and shooter, but loading mags is difficult and slide charging is stiff and the grip was abrasive IWB, but helped in controllability.

I’ve had a FN Reflex for about a month. You should add it to your list.
It’s been 100% reliable >500 rounds, best grip of the bunch with a concealable 11 round mag and the option for 15 rounders in a smaller pkg than the Xmacro. The option of the 11 rd mag for IWB and the 15rd mag as backup, in this regard bests the XMacro and Shield. All in all, it’s tied with the P365X Macro for controllability with all ammo without the comp blast.

Side note, easy AF to rack and the high vis/ front night sight with blacked out rear is also my preference. Sig XRAY’s are great as during the day the rear sight acts as a blacked out sight.

Mags are easy to load also.

After the 43x, Shield+, P365X I had given up on micro 9’s. The FN is much more concealable than the XMacro and just as controllable in a Hellcat sized package.

Downside, some might not like the trigger reset, but everything is a trade off. Trigger is light and crisp with a longer reset than than the Sig or Shield. I’m more comfortable with the FN and Sig triggers.

Mine came from the factory shooting left and the rear sight was noticeably to the left by a few mm.

MGW Glock sight pusher with the 43 adapter works on the FN reflex.

Joe
Back in Tx.

Posts: 2531 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post