SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock disassembly block (roll of duct tape).
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock disassembly block (roll of duct tape). Login/Join 
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted
I use a roll of tape as a block to disassemble my Glocks. Seems to be a common thing to use.

My question is if there is an actual product that basically does the same thing? All I've seen are those hockey pucks with holes and grooves drilled into it, and those plastic frames that seems more complex than it needs to be.
basically I would like a nylon or hard rubber cylinder roughly the size and shape of a near empty roll of duct tape. Such product exists? Or should I make a trip to the hardware store instead?

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107250 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
I like my APEX block. one side Glock, one side MP.
https://www.apextactical.com/polymer-armorer-block

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just use a glock disassembly tool, or in a pinch, a drift. There's nothing on the Glock that takes tapping or force, or that requires a block.

When a roll of duct tape was mentioned, my first thought was a strip of duct tape, stick side up, to keep parts from rolling away. Then it occurred to me that the original poster meant a block with a hole in the middle.

Removing the pins requires fingertip pressure and no more. If its taking more than that, you're not doing it right. That includes the trigger pin, which slides out easily if you work the slide stop a little as you put pressure on the pin.

A block isn't necessary. It doesn't hurt, but the glock easily comes apart and goes back together with just a glock tool and one's hands. It was designed that way.

The only exception I can think of is drifting and unscrewing the sights, or driving the pin out of the trigger bar to put a new shoe on.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackwater:

I use the APEX.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37079 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I just use a glock disassembly tool, or in a pinch, a drift. There's nothing on the Glock that takes tapping or force, or that requires a block.

When a roll of duct tape was mentioned, my first thought was a strip of duct tape, stick side up, to keep parts from rolling away. Then it occurred to me that the original poster meant a block with a hole in the middle.

Removing the pins requires fingertip pressure and no more. If its taking more than that, you're not doing it right. That includes the trigger pin, which slides out easily if you work the slide stop a little as you put pressure on the pin.

A block isn't necessary. It doesn't hurt, but the glock easily comes apart and goes back together with just a glock tool and one's hands. It was designed that way.

The only exception I can think of is drifting and unscrewing the sights, or driving the pin out of the trigger bar to put a new shoe on.

Same here. Never used anything more than a Glock disassembly tool or a punch.

Posts: 6605 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Only tools I have for this task are the backstrap holder thing that has a plastic punch for the frame pins and a Wiha hex driver for the front sight. If the locking block pin doesn’t want to come out, you wiggle the slide lock lever until it comes out easily. That’s not to say you can’t hammer on a Glock, just that it’s completely unnecessary.

Posts: 17050 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know how the rest of you guys work. But my workshop is filled with detent springs and other misc. stuff that I will never find till I don't need them. It is really convenient and easy to push these glock pins (I didn't say hammer) out into a space where they fall neatly rather than trying to manage them coming out. Just my take.
A block or roll of tape works fine. Both are cheap.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Generally, I push the pins far enough that they're still captive and I pull them the rest of the way out by hand.

Posts: 17050 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I've never needed anything more than a Glock tool and a piece of newspaper to strip a Glock..
Gen 2 G21 with original black parts.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a magnetized block I use for everything. Helps keep track of small parts. Cant recall who makes it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16001 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several bench blocks that I've acquired over the years but yeah, a roll of masking or painter's tape works reasonably well in a pinch. Less likely to leave sticky tape residue on a receiver like the edge of some duct tape rolls can (ask me how I know).

-MG

Posts: 1928 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I agree with monoblok, I use a roll of painter's tape, a 1.5" wide roll. I cut off a tweaker screw driver and rounded and polished the end to make a pin pusher.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Never bought a 'block' but have used a piece of 2x4 to hammer out pins on new glocks. But generally, all I use, like many above, is just the glock tool. And a big plastic bag when working with springs. It's hard finding those little buggers if they get launched. Now I do small spring work inside a plastic bag.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12682 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is what I use also.

Bought it for the M&P, that it works for the Glock is just a bonus

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is what I use.

Bought it for the M&P, that it works for a Glock is just a bonus

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brownell's Glock punch and a role of painters tape. If painters tape is not available, duct or masking tape will work just fine.

Posts: 535 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock punch and roll of tape is all I ever used. I liked the roll of tape because it kept the pins in one spot. Smile

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post