SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The seeds of temptation...I think I need a 10mm.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The seeds of temptation...I think I need a 10mm. Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted

Somebody at the gun club bought a 10mm and keeps leaving his brass on the ground, so I keep picking it up. Above is my haul form yesterday. The coffee can is gradually filling up, and since I already have bullets and dies (I load .40), I think I need to get something to feed this stuff to. I don't think my wife fully appreciates my logic here, but it makes perfect sense to me! Big Grin

I've been thinking about a 10mm semi-auto as a backpacking option for a while, I just haven't been able to find anything that checks all my boxes. I'd love to hear some suggestions from the membership, especially if you have any experience with more obscure platforms. Light weight and compactness are a priority, and DA/SA is a plus...sell me on something!

Posts: 8965 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
It seems like the only logical response is to buy a 10mm delivery system. My wife uses the same logic with coupons on things we don’t need.

Posts: 3009 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Da/Sa being on the menu I'd look at the P220 Legion or the EAA Witness. Both are of great quality.
Anything else the answer will be the Glock 20.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Da/Sa being on the menu I'd look at the P220 Legion or the EAA Witness. Both are of great quality.

The Witness is interesting. What do you know about the Polymer version? Don't get me wrong, I love the P220, but it's big, heavy, and expensive for my purposes.

Posts: 8965 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I'm down to three after trading my cousin on of the P220's.

Thinking I'll add an X-ten at some point when I come across a good deal.

It's a very fun round and quite versatile.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great cartridge.

Not DA/SA, but on my list, the Smith & Wesson Performance Center M&P 2.0.

The Glock 40 has been my favorite so far. Glock 29 as well. The 40 is accurate, recoil very manageable.

Posts: 695 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I've been thinking about a 10mm semi-auto as a backpacking option for a while, ... Light weight and compactness are a priority, ...
Those were a buddy's parameters, so he bought a G29.

It was... shootable. That's about the best I can say about it. Full-load 10mm rounds out of it (e.g.: Underwood's 200 and 220 gr. hard-cast flat-nose [1250 fps/694 ft-lbs and 1200 fps/704 ft-lbs, respectively]) were a handful.

My 10mm Kimber Custom II GFO, OTOH, is quite pleasant to shoot with such rounds.

The G29 was challenging to shoot well, particularly on follow-up shots. My 10mm Kimber I can handle about as quickly & easily as I can my 1911s in .45 ACP.

As one would expect: The Kimber, being an all-steel Gov't 1911, is quite heavy with a full magazine.

Somewhere between those two extremes is where I think I'd be aiming.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

The Witness is interesting. What do you know about the Polymer version? Don't get me wrong, I love the P220, but it's big, heavy, and expensive for my purposes.

I only have shot their competition pistols and not the polymer so I can't really speak to those. If light and cheap and reliable are your top priorities then a striker fired platform will have more viable options. All of the good da/sa pistols will be steel and more expensive.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
It’s funny how our brains can vibrantly carve out justifications for “need”, isn’t it. Smile. I have “needed” so very many of them. Razz

All that said I was actually rather shocked how shootable a Glock 29 really is. It handles 10mm far better then it has any right to IMO. Not lady physics will not be denied of course so running full house butt stomping loads will still be “energetic” to be sure but the Glocks do handle 10mm rather well as far as I am concerned.

I’m not a 10mm guy though so other than running several different 10mms over the years I’ve never owned a 10mm so YMMV.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7790 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
10mm is a great flat shooting round with punch. Ruger 1911 in 10mm a fits into my world. Woods gun that does well in rain is the Glock 29.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1591 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I was able to find a used 2011 in 10mm.

My other 10mm pistols are a Kimber Custom Eclipse II and a Glock 40 MOS.

Let us know what you decide.

Posts: 9299 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've shot a G29 and don't mind it. I don't particularly care for how thick it is, the polygonal rifling, or the unsupported chamber (doesn't really lend itself to reloading).

I've tried the S&W M&P, too, and while the example I used shot ok, the trigger was embarrassingly bad. 2000Z71's experience with his has also given me pause.

My brother recently picked up a Rock Island 1911 in 10mm. It's just the basic GI-style model with rudimentary sights, but it shoots pretty well. I don't really want SAO for my application, though, and being a 1911 it's not exactly light.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
This hits home, Big Grin. I have a buddy I bounce things off of that are “needed”. He jokes that I could justify buying a dead horse.

quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
It’s funny how our brains can vibrantly carve out justifications for “need”, isn’t it. Smile. I have “needed” so very many of them. Razz

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7039 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You have the brass, you'd be wasting money NOT buying one.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that's the rules.

Posts: 21248 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
^ Exactly! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I love the caliber and have owned the S&W 1006,1066, 1086. The 1086 had the best trigger even being DAO. I had an all steel EAA Witness that was handled the recoil best but trigger sucked. Gen 2 and 3 G20 were reliable but Gen3 G29 was a jamamatic and I couldn’t figure out why. XDM 4.5 is reliable like a G20. I shot 40sw out of the Glocks and XDM reliably as well.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Not sure if I can recommend anything that checks all of your boxes.

However, I can recommend something NOT to buy, a 4" Smith M&P 2.0 in 10mm. I really want to like the gun and have it be reliable which is why I totally haven't given up on it yet. One last thing to try is my discovery of .40 S&W magazine followers before it gets chucked into Prince William Sound.

My Sig 320 X Ten has been flawless in shooting. Comfortable, soaks up recoil and I shoot it well. It's not small, it's not light and it's not DA/SA. Carrying in chest holster works out really well. I've also got a Dan Wesson Razorback 1911 in 10mm that I love. Again; not lightweight, small or DA/SA but it shoots really well. Only caveat being recoil springs, it needs a heavy spring to function correctly with hot 10mm loads and I change it once a year. Then there's my Ruger GP100 3" in 10mm. At least it gives you DA with the option of cocking the hammer for SA. Smile. Seriously, I really like the Ruger, it's kind of been my default for when I don't feel like carrying a 4" barreled N-Frame Smith or one of my 10mm autoloaders.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11838 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
You probably need 2, what’s a pistol without a PCC.

Both are light and compact compared to a Gatling gun. It’s all about perspective.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine has the 3" gp100, and it really is a great gun. But I've already got some good revolver options and kind of want this one to be a semi-auto. That's the primary appeal of the 10mm to me.

Otto, I love that 220. The P220/P245 may be my favorite Sig, and if I end up just buying a 10mm to have a 10mm, the P220 Legion will probably be it. But a full-size, steel-framed service pistol is kind the opposite thing I need for my application. Maybe I just need to give up on having a purpose and just accept that I want it Big Grin!

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Colt Delta Elite

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11401 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post