SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The seeds of temptation...I think I need a 10mm.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The seeds of temptation...I think I need a 10mm. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I REALLY wanted one of these:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/p...enter-mp-10mm-pistol

But the online reviews are rife with reliability issues...

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 996 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Not DA/SA but could be worthy of consideration. FN has a new version of the 510 out. This one does not have the threaded barrel or the wings around the rear sight.

https://fnamerica.com/products...0-series/fn-510-mrd/

I'll be honest...I have very little experience with the FN. The only one I've personally shot was a guy at the range who was having trouble making hits with his. He asked me to shoot it, and we quickly determined that the problem was not the gun. It was ok, but nothing particularly special. I like the feature-set of the the one you posted as it's more appropriate for my needs, although I could do with out the suppressor-height sights. That MSRP is pretty hurtful, too.

The Glock is starting to seem like the most realistic option, especially considering the price. For those who have Glocks, how much bigger/heavier is the 20 compared to the 29? Have you had issues with bulged brass? Also, does anybody know if the Gen 5 G20 uses polygonal or traditional rifling?

I'm still liking the idea of the EAA witness, too..just not sure if I can find one for a price that I'm willing to pay.

Posts: 9302 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Adding another 10 to my stable - a S&W 610 revolver with 4” barrel. An original from years ago with no lock. S&W has started making them again recently, but with the lock. These things multiply.
The caliber makes sense in a N-frame.

Posts: 3865 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Not DA/SA but could be worthy of consideration. FN has a new version of the 510 out. This one does not have the threaded barrel or the wings around the rear sight.

I'll be honest...I have very little experience with the FN. The only one I've personally shot was a guy at the range who was having trouble making hits with his. He asked me to shoot it, and we quickly determined that the problem was not the gun. It was ok, but nothing particularly special. I like the feature-set of the the one you posted as it's more appropriate for my needs, although I could do with out the suppressor-height sights. That MSRP is pretty hurtful, too.

The Glock is starting to seem like the most realistic option, especially considering the price. For those who have Glocks, how much bigger/heavier is the 20 compared to the 29? Have you had issues with bulged brass? Also, does anybody know if the Gen 5 G20 uses polygonal or traditional rifling?

I'm still liking the idea of the EAA witness, too...just not sure if I can find one for a price that I'm willing to pay.

How do you envisions yourself carrying it while backpacking? If it is going to be open carry, then chest rig is the way to go in my onion. Carrying in a holster like that I would go G20 over the G29 as I don't think the extra weight would be that much of a factor.

I'm not sure, but I think the Gen5 still has the polygonal rifling. When I had my Gen3 G20SF I put a KKM barrel in it.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 902 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'd be carrying it in an Hill People Gear kit bag. I'm pretty sure either would fit fine dimensionally...the blocky width of either gun would probably be more of an issue than the OAL of the 20.

I know you can buy aftermarket barrels for Glocks, but that's an obnoxious thing to have to do for a new gun. I wish Glock would get their head out of their butt and just use regular rifling from the get-go.

Posts: 9302 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MPrimo
posted Hide Post
G20 Gen 5 MOS is now available. I am considering one. I am in the same boat. Have been through several 10mms and have found myself without one currently. I have lots of ammo ... so ...

MPrimo

Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, M&Ps ... well, you get the point!

Posts: 622 | Location: New England | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
All I can say, is Sig P220 Legion in 10mm. Awesome! Extremely accurate, and fun. Easy to control too.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:

I'm still liking the idea of the EAA witness, too..just not sure if I can find one for a price that I'm willing to pay.

What intrigues about the FN is that it's like the 4" M&P, it's a Goldilocks gun. It's Commander sized and falls in-between the Glock G20 and G29. I've got an X Ten that I love but it is big and heavy. I really want to carry my M&P 10 but it has not been reliable. On paper the weight and size difference between the two is not that great, in reality the perception of size and weight is a whole lot different.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11898 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
I do not have any experience with FN products either. But this 510 Series MRD model has me intrigued.
Will this model accept the 22 round mags from the Tacticool model?

Posts: 849 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bczrx:
For 10mm I went with the G29. Well, I went with a G29 slide on my G30SF, with the KKM 4.5" ported barrel.

It is accurate enough for me, and I have no significant issues controlling it with the +1 10 round baseplate installed.

I don't find this size enough of a worry to make me want to go buy a G20sf instead.

In fact, I'd be more likely to want a good 10mm 1911 than a G20.

I am in California, so mags over 10 rounds aren't going to happen for me, and I just like the feel of metal-framed handguns.

The G29 configuration is no issue for me though.

However, I run a 21# recoil spring assembly in it, instead of the factory Glock 17# spring assembly.

I did the same…love the way it shoots

Posts: 1726 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
92fstech,
I sent you an email.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1584 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I also have one of these, and it is a hoot to shoot. But it is very heavy.

I'd love to try a P320 X-TEN, if they came in a compact model, preferably without the rail.

quote:
Originally posted by m1009:
All I can say, is Sig P220 Legion in 10mm. Awesome! Extremely accurate, and fun. Easy to control too.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6153 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a Sig X-ten this past week and promptly sprained my wrist working on a car. I hope to shoot it in a day or so.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
I also have one of these, and it is a hoot to shoot. But it is very heavy.
[/QUOTE]

I agree the Sig legion P220 10mm is heavy, but we picked it due it’s being able to withstand the 10mm recoil, and actually, it’s not bad to shoot. And I’ve got little hands, (female here) and I didn’t have any issues with it. I liked it. Plus we both like the Legion series anyway. Big Grin

Posts: 1154 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
So I finally got to shoot the X-Ten last night, with full power fmj. That was fun. Not as loud as a comped 9mm, but loud enough to notice. Nice fireball, and a definite kick. Using the iron sights with my old eyes and the stock trigger, I kept the shots in a hand sized group at 30 feet.

Now, it does need a better trigger. It’s unnecessarily heavy and a straight trigger, which I don’t shoot as well as a curved trigger. A red dot would help as well. The holster for my 320 Legion is too narrow for the slide, which surprised me. Lastly, this thing cries out for the tungsten infused frame. I know Sig doesn’t show one for the 10/45 guns, which I find kind of odd, but I’d jump on one in a heartbeat.

It will be a range toy anyways, so difficulty finding a holster or more weight wouldn’t be a concern for me.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the FN510 and Glock 20 bulge the cases?
A re loader consideration for me.

Posts: 1695 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
So I finally got to shoot the X-Ten last night, with full power fmj. That was fun. Not as loud as a comped 9mm, but loud enough to notice. Nice fireball, and a definite kick. Using the iron sights with my old eyes and the stock trigger, I kept the shots in a hand sized group at 30 feet.

Now, it does need a better trigger. It’s unnecessarily heavy and a straight trigger, which I don’t shoot as well as a curved trigger. A red dot would help as well. The holster for my 320 Legion is too narrow for the slide, which surprised me. Lastly, this thing cries out for the tungsten infused frame. I know Sig doesn’t show one for the 10/45 guns, which I find kind of odd, but I’d jump on one in a heartbeat.

It will be a range toy anyways, so difficulty finding a holster or more weight wouldn’t be a concern for me.

I'm not sure about the trigger pull weight, but the curved trigger is a relatively inexpensive part and an easy swap. I hate the flat triggers, too. In my experience, P320 triggers can vary quite a bit out of the box, and tend to be a little gritty at first. A little oil on the appropriate spots (top of the diconnector, safety lever, trigger pivot points, and between the trigger bar and frame) combined with a lot of dry-fire or a few hundred rounds downrange tends to smooth them out pretty effectively. It's never going to have that nice rolling break of a classic P-series trigger, though...it's more of a "flexing snap".

I did notice that like the Glock 20/29, the X-Ten is quite a bit beefier than the versions of the P320 chambered in other calibers. You've confirmed my suspicions that it won't fit in holsters designed for those guns.

Picture of Larry_K
posted Hide Post
I’ve really been pleased with my Springfield xdm-elite compact I got a couple months back. I’ve only been able to run about 500 rounds through it so far but it’s been flawless and soaks up the 10mm loads pretty well. It’s practically same size as the glock 29, I’d just recommend taking off the magwell (it hit right on the middle of my pinky, so unusable). I replaced the baseplates with Pearce +1 extensions and carry it in a muddy River tactical iwb kydex. And you can get 15 round mags with sleeves on them so you have a short(ish) barrel but full capacity. I’ve just never felt “natural” with Glocks or I probably would’ve gone with a G29, but the xdm elites are pretty solid.

Posts: 1298 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: August 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Does anybody here have any first-hand experience with these (EAA Witness Polymer Compact)?

https://www.sportsmans.com/sho...121-rounds/p/1570983

I don't know much about them, and I've only been able to find a few reviews online, but at least on paper it looks like it checks a lot of my boxes. The CZ design it's taking its inspiration from is definitely well vetted. I'm not a fan of manual safeties, but if this thing works and for the price they seem to be going for, I could likely live with it.

Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I have no personal experience or even recent knowledge about the EAA/Tanfoglio/CZ designs.
But in the past, everyone competing in USPSA open division who ran that particular "design" locking system ended up with inoperative pistols. (all of them were metal framed pistols)
Polymer frame pistols were not a "thing" back then.
And it always seemed to be at a big USPSA match where the entry fee was substantial.

The slide stop pins bent/broke.
I'm talking about USPSA open division race guns, using high pressure ammo. 9x25 Dillon/.38 Super/.38 Super Comp/.38 TJ/9x23/9x21/and similar. All with reloads, and all likely over SAAMI specs.

It would likely be OK using the weak downloaded 10mm rounds, but the high octane 10mm stuff? Who knows?
I know USPSA shooters that ran those EAA/Tanfoglio/CZ guns, and they routinely had three or four pre-fitted slide stops in their parts box in the range bag.

I have the SIG P220 in 10mm, and a Ruger Blackhawk with dual cylinders in 10mm/.40S&W.
Those two just continue to run without any functioning/reliability/parts breakage problems.
But those two that I have aren't really suited for practical hiking/camping carry except in a chest holster.
Both are large and heavy.

Like I said, zero recent knowledge or experience, but I do have a LONG memory.
USPSA open division is like a car makers test proving grounds. You get to see what works, and what doesn't. What really holds up for long term abuse.
Polymer framed pistols may be the exception to the above slide stop pin breakage issue, there's significantly more frame flex than a metal frame pistol.
I just don't know.

I guess you can buy one and tell us how you like it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1584 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post