SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What's your primary ccw caliber?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your primary ccw caliber? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
It seems over the last 5-10 years or so, the calibers we carry for CCW have really consolidated under 9mm for the most part. At least that's what it seems...so to satisfy my curiosity I thought I'd throw this out there. It the .40, .45 10mm dead?

Question:
What is your primary CCW caliber?

Choices:
.380 ACP
.38 Sp.
.357 Mag
9mm
.40 S&W
10mm
.357 Sig
.45 ACP

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Nothing is "dead". Just that the 9 is most popular.

Q

Posts: 26192 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I don't really have a "primary" caliber for CCW. I have CCW pistols in .380 ACP, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and 10mm, each of which I carry as needs or whim dictates.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25994 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I don't really have a "primary" caliber for CCW. I have CCW pistols in .380 ACP, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and 10mm, each of which I carry as needs or whim dictates.

I guess a better way to say it would be what is the weapon caliber you most carry for CCW. Not so much the gun you carry for special occasions / situations, but the gun you carry most often day in, day out.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
My primary defensive handgun is the HK P2000 in either 9mm or .40. So really those two would be the primary caliberS.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7625 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
9mm.

Unless I’m working it manifests itself in an older Gen3 Glock 19.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37078 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Primary I guess is as I voted-9mm. But we have LCRs in 38 special and a 42 in 380. I'm quite comfortable with any of them.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Wait, as of Early Friday afternoon we have ZERO votes for the .45 ACP. How is that possible?

Since the gun I CCW most often is a j-frame 642, I voted .38 Special. Looks like I'm the only one, although there is a .357 Mag fan out there.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
458 lott in a 3 inch derringer.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Who can keep up with the "caliber of the moment?" In the 70s, the wheel gun calibers were still popular. I remember in the eighties when the 10MM was the boom of doom. Then .40 S&W was the hot ticket. Then .357 Sig had it's 15 minutes. Then .380 made a comeback. .45 ACP seems to wax and wane.

Currently, the advances in 9mm composition, price, and it's availability seem to be winning out.

I just can't keep up! But I try. Wink

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
357Sig in a P320C
Or
9mm in a KT P11

Majority CCW is the 320.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15136 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Voted .40, right now it’s my old G27. In the warmer weather with thin clothes it’s my Springfield Hellcat 9mm.

Posts: 3536 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
My only CCW caliber is 45 ACP.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
9mm is what I carry 90% of the time.

The other 10% is split between .357mag and .380

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9mm may expand, but .45ACP wont shrink! Wink

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15991 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
My "main" CCW caliber is 38 Super but on occasion I do carry 9mm.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Almost always a 9mm HST +P in a G19 or G43.

The efficiency of both the 9mm round and the available carry pistols just lend to the combo being ideal.

Occasionally, I will carry my Shield .45, as it has been a great handgun. When I carry the Shield, it's loaded with 185-grain Golden Saber Bonded.

I no longer CCW a .40 caliber handgun.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
.22 short

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1629 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by photohause:
.22 short

Sure you don't want to upgrade to the .25 ACP?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post