SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What's your primary ccw caliber?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your primary ccw caliber? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
My EDC is 9mm, but I am liking .45ACP more and more lately. I know I am late to the party but my .45s have been seeing a lot more range time the last year

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 229 and 226 are my primaries, especially since I have acquired 357/40 XCHG Kits for both.

Conserve Liberty, and the right of self-determination.

Posts: 57 | Location: The Flyover Part | Registered: September 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well...the I vote I just casted doubled the number of persons who voted for poor ol' 40 S&W...

.40 is my primary (G23) with 9mm in my secondary carry (P365 or G43X) while in what I loosely classify as 'civilization', though nowadays that's becoming a most difficult thing to call out virtually anywhere given the mass insanity the two-legged critters have strived in producing.

10mm (G20) is now my choice where the four-legged beings still are the dominant life forces and living is so much easier.

-MG

Posts: 1978 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just in recent months, .32 ACP in the pocketed gun has made a come-back, and been the most steadily consistent, on a day-to-day basis. Usually, the little auto is not the only weapon. The larger weapon has usually been .45 Colt, in recent weeks, but .38 Special and .357 Mag getting some occasional carry time, too.

I set aside my Glocks, early in the panic-demic, as I need plenty of trigger time, with Glocks, to feel right carrying them. Timje will tell if my Glocks make a come-back, as carry guns, in my personal case. If they do, either 9mm or .45 ACP become the most-carried cartridge.

My .45 ACP 1911 pistols could resume their important place, for carry, if my right hand remains healthy enough. My 1911 trigger skill is less-perishable, which gives my 1911 pistols a head start. My aging hands appreciate the recoil-damping effect of these all-steel pistols. .45 ACP is not snappy. So, my 1911 pistols could enable .45 ACP to regain “primary carry” status.

The Ruger GP100 is a very important part of my life, and has been, since the early Nineties. The problem that .357 Magnum has, for maintaining its importance, in my life, is my aging hands. I just don’t shoot full-pressure Magnum ammo, any more, right-handed, and very rarely, left-handed. I moved toward milder Magnums in my lighter-weight .357 revolvers, some time ago. It remains to be seen whether .45 Colt or .38 Special will de-throne .357 Magnum, on a longer-term basis.

It remains to be seen where all of this settles.

I cannot answer for .40 or 10mm, but .45 is far from “dead.”

With no ability to vote for .32 ACP or .45 Colt, I have not voted in the poll. In a few weeks, or a few months, I might be able to honestly choose .45 ACP, .357 Mag, or .38 Special. I almost chose .357 Magnum, because it has been my default normal for so long, and has remained important.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
My primary carry guns are 45s. S&W CS45, 457 and 4513TSW. Accurate and reliable and kill bugs dead.

I have a couple of 9mms, CS9 and 3914NL that get carried when I was tired/lazy or "shouldn't have a gun". Like at Church or social functions with non gun folks. But I am never really comfortable with a 9mm as I am with a 45.

I recently picked up a shield 45. The only striker fired tupperware I ever purchased. I won't be purchasing another. I bought it for a single purpose - to have a 45 in my new office where coat and tie is the uniform of the day. It is thin and light and 45. The only reason it got bought.

Trigger sucks. But I won't be putting any money into a plastic gun to improve it. Accuracy is ok and it has so far been reliable in a little over 200 rounds. But, it will definitely be a single purpose gun. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Alternate between my 43X and my gen3 32.
or carry both with 43X in the pocket.

stopped carrying my 43X mos and 45. Not keen on RMR carry off duty anymore.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8010 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think I could check 5 of those. I like variety.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:

Trigger sucks. But I won't be putting any money into a plastic gun to improve it.

Fair enough. If you do change your mind, however, you might be very pleasantly surprised what an apex trigger kit will do. Same for the M&P.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I am in the 9mm camp but still have a variety of calibers I could choose to carry. I carried the 357 Sig for almost a decade, but found that I could shoot better and faster with a 9mm on the same platform. I still love to carry a 1911 in 45 acp but it’s just not as practical as a P365. I just had a new holster made for an old P&R model 66 S&W that I shoot extremely well and will be carried.

Truth be told, I am carrying 9mm because it’s more readily available and it’s what I train with 95 percent of the time. I’m training harder and more often than I ever have and the results are paying off with nearly any gun or caliber I pick up. The simple fact that I can grab my P365 (with XL frame) and one extra mag and have 25rds in such a small but shootable CCW package is mind boggling.

Posts: 2948 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
For the last 5 or so years it’s been the 9mm, mainly because of 1) the cost of ammo, and 2) the platforms (M11-A1 and CZ-75 P01), and 3) improved effectiveness of the round; but for the 15 years prior to that it was the .40 S&W. Like the others, I sometimes carry .38, .45, .380, or .32, but primarily it is 9mm.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My personal carry is a G32 in .357 Sig. I often have a P365 in the pocket, in 9mm. Occasionally, a S&W 642 in .38 spl. At home, generally a Glock 21 in .45 acp, and of course, a 12 gauge Remington 870.

I shoot more 9mm than anything else.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Mostly Buffalo Bore Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Ammo
150 gr. Hard Cast Wad Cutter in my 649 when I work. I am in many NPE locations.

Social outings I carry my P220.

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of papaac
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I downsized my gun inventory nd kept only 9mm handguns. I switch back and forth for carry, but it's always 9mm.

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." Edmund Burke

Posts: 4974 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
9mm Luger for primary, .380 ACP in the backup (when I carry it).

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Another vote for "multiple".

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Duty is a .45 and probably won't change.
My CCW used to be a .45 as well.

I've gravitated toward the 9mm for CCW/off duty probably about 15 years ago. Doing some research and hanging out with some pretty smart range instructors got me to change my old school ways. Round Technology has come a long way in the past two + decades. You're seeing harder hitting, reliable and larger expansion and deeper penetration in the 9mm round. Then there's the capacity; 8-10 of .45 or 15-17 of 9mm. Me? I'd rather have more ammo if I'm going to get into a gunfight.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem CCW'ing a .45, but I'm getting more out of a 9mm handgun.

Occasionally, I'll toss a .380 in the pocket of my shorts in the summer.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Not keen on RMR carry off duty anymore.

May I ask why?

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Purely from the perspective of which caliber spends the most time being carried: (1) .380 in a G42 in my pocket, then (2) 9mm, then (3) .357 SIG and on rare occasion .45 acp.

As for which guns I have the most of in a caliber it's in order: 9mm, .45 acp, .357 SIG, .380, 10 mm, .38, 357 MAG

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Statistically speaking, 45 is my primary everything caliber. Smile

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Since I started carrying a P365XL I pretty much don't bother to carry anything else.

If I ever get a 10mm woods gun (and actually wind up in the woods) that'd get rotated in. Right now that niche is filled by a 586 .357 Magnum.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post