SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Found a loose pin in my new/used P239
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found a loose pin in my new/used P239 Login/Join 
posted
I purchased a nice P239/.357 from a member here. When I removed the grips a solid pin fell out. Measures .125" x .375". The pin appears to be beat up, from rattling around inside the gun.

Dry firing the gun, it appears to work correctly. Looking at the gun, and the parts list, I have not been able to find a location for this.

Does the P239 have any solid pins 3/8" long? Any ideas?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: c1steve,

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s not something I’m familiar with.
Its diameter is about the same as the hammer pivot pin, but much shorter.

It almost looks like a slave pin of some sort. We had something similar to work with during my first P320 armorer class, but I don’t know how it would serve that purpose in a P239—and especially cannot imagine how it would end up inside the mechanism of that gun.

Added: I just checked the slave pins I have for a P320, and although yours is similar to the larger of the two P320 pins, it’s not the same. Mine is much more nicely finished and is longer and larger in diameter.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
P239 Schematics

Looks like an Extractor Pin item 9 on the schematic,

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Were the grips wood? Might be an alignment pin.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They were wood grips from Hogue. I replaced them with Hogue Piranha.

------------------
My slide is out having an optic cut for a green dot sight, when it comes back on Friday I will check the extractor.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I go with a grip pin. Maybe. Possibly.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I go with a grip pin. Maybe. Possibly.

-----------
update: I just searched the frame for a compatible hole for a 1/8" diameter pin grip pin, could not find such a hole.

-c1steve

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
P239 Schematics

Looks like an Extractor Pin item 9 on the schematic,

I just took the grips off one and then the slide off and looked as close as I could and no pin is even close to that size... but then I read KRK's post and that is the closest I can see....
You can see the pin behind the extractor:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an aside. When I went to FBI armorers school, we were working on Glocks and Sigs primarily. And one day for revolvers.

It was considered great entertainment to wait until somebody had a Sig P226 fully broken down on their workbench. Lean over, admire their handiwork and casually un palm a Smith K frame rebound spring, or some other small part, in the middle of the parts.

Posts: 881 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DonPoon
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Extractor Pin.

Semper Fi

Posts: 361 | Registered: March 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was something similar when I went to Sig armorer class. The times I went you put all the small parts in a bin at the center and you had to remove the parts you needed (one try). Inevitably somebody tossed a part that was not for the gun you were working on in there and somebody would always pick it and be left wondering like the OP.
If this gun runs it can't be missing anything and there are like only 3 things one could consider as pins in the gun... extractor, hammer pivot, sear pin. and you would notice any of them missing.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10970 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
The grip alignment pins I have seen align the grip halves and not grip to frame.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
The grip alignment pins I have seen align the grip halves and not grip to frame.

That makes some sense, as the P239 grips only use one screw per side. When my slide arrives later this week, I will check the extractor pin. However, the pin was in the grip area. Will be an interesting understanding once the answer is determined.

-c1steve

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I checked 2 239’s , stainless and blued SAS. Both have blued extractor pins.
An alignment pin fits in the grips, not the frame nor the slide. See if the pin fits the grips.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's the grip pin!

Posts: 49 | Registered: October 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
What grip pin?
Are we referring to the P239 and its grip plates?
I have owned two P239s (one, still) and in addition to the factory polymer plates, Hogue aluminum and factory wooden grip plates. None has had a grip alignment pin, nor needed one. They are manufactured to fit the frame of the gun so that screwing them into position keeps them in place without any pins.

In any event, if the grip plates require a pin like that, I must assume that its absence would be obvious.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both of my P239’s with G10’s have that pin that join the 2 grips together at the bottom below the hammer strut.

Posts: 151 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: December 19, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to see the pinned G10 grip plates. Is the pin visible when the plates are installed? How do the pins supplied with the G10 grip plates compare with the one pictured?

I wonder why that particular type of grip requires a pin to keep things in proper position.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Manufactures Rep.
Picture of Ken @ Hogue Inc
posted Hide Post
Well, I may have an answer to this, but doesn't explain why the pin is so beat.

Did/does your replaced wood grip have an .125" hole at the bottom of the grip under the main spring retainer or does your G10 grip have this same hole?

A change was added (2st qtr. 2017) to better support the two halves of the grip by adding an .126" hole to ALL Alum. G10 and wood grips. The print calls out for a .126" dia. x .200" deep which supports your .125x.375" pin you found. Why is it all beat up?????

New production grips since have this hole and a pin is also included w/instruction.

Hope this helps to answer the mystery.

Keep in mind this was a running change. there will be the older no hole grips out there and there is nothing wrong with them. by adding the pin is a simple improvement we did on a running change.

Follow instruction 3 and 4 to set pin below in package.

Further research show this change began on REV-C (noted on inside of grips) any previous REV does not have the pin nor hole.

It is easy to over look the pin in package and omit this install. This will not affect the overall function of the grips.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ken @ Hogue Inc,

Need technical help with Hogue products and your firearm?

Try the Hogue Knowledge Base for answers!

Hogue Gear
Holsters and more...
www.hogueinc.com
www.hogueknives.com www.heatedtoiletseat.com www.zombiegrips.com
Ken@hogueinc.com

View or Download your Catalog today;

2023 Catalog

2023 Knife Catalog

Hogue AR-15/ Catalog

Request a Catalog

Posts: 1596 | Location: Home Office, Paso Robles, CA -Headquarters, Henderson, NV. -W/Warehouses in San Diego, CA and Vienna, Austria | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that explanation. It certainly seems to be the answer, although I would wonder why the pin was evidently free to rattle around inside the gun (if I understand correctly).

6.4/93.6

— Plato