SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    5-shot revolver. If not dead, on life support?
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5-shot revolver. If not dead, on life support? Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to here from our gun store guys as to what the sales ratio of wheelies to autos really is? It would also be interesting to know the ratio of snubbed to total revolvers.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the OP that the 5-shot snub is on life support. I think the OP's assessment that those who most often carry snubbies are older folks who grew up with them is spot on right and rarely mentioned.

I've been an Arkansas concealed handgun instructor for 20 years (#00-384). According to my records, I've trained approximately 1,000 students (50 or more annually). With complete sincerity, I've probably seen less than 20 snub revolvers during that entire time. It was initially Glock 19s, followed by Glock 26s, followed by an explosion of Ruger LCPs, some Shields, a good number of Ruger LC9s and then the G42 and G43 took off like a rocket. Snub revolvers just aren't in my classes at all. Never have been. When I do see them, they've usually been given to wives by husbands and the wives LOATHE their heavy triggers, poor sights (S&W), and significant recoil. I can't tell you how many times I've seen students put their snubs down, shoot a G26, and never look at the snub again.

At the police academy where I teach, even the older instructors who carried snubs as BUGs have retired them in favor of the G43. The former snub BUGs are gone in my area. We strongly encourage recruits to carry BUGs, and many do, but in the 12 years I've been there, I've never seen a recruit with a 5-shot revolver as a BUG.

This doesn't mean that it's not a viable weapon. It certainly is...but there are just tons of other equivalent, if not superior, options out there now and I think that sales reflect that.

Posts: 1089 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
It would be interesting to here from our gun store guys as to what the sales ratio of wheelies to autos really is? It would also be interesting to know the ratio of snubbed to total revolvers.

Agree! I would like to know, too.

I'm close friends with the owner of my LGS. He can't keep used S&W and Ruger full-sized revolvers on his shelves and can't sell the new ones. 5-shot revolvers just languish away, unsold.

As for semi-autos, he said that he can't keep Glocks, Rugers, and M&P 2.0 Compact 9mms in stock. The P365 is a good seller, too, but the P320 is not, at least for him.

Posts: 1089 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Granted the semi-auto pistols sell more and are used more for many reasons, I like the revolver for h.d. and love the simplicity of them. I think the revolver is more user friendly and not as complicated for new shooters. I have a couple 2"- 5 shot Rugers I love and carry occasionally but I carry a semi-auto more frequently for compactness and reloading capabilities.

Posts: 6864 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
While not a 5 shot revolver and costing almost 3x the price of a 642, the Kimber revolvers are really something IMHO.

I will acquire one at some point.

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang it you guys!!!!! Just when I thought I was over J-Frames!!!! Now, reading this I am jonesingfor a 442!!!!!! CRIPES!!!!!!

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Since I started this thread sometime back, I have used my 442 as a back-up or car gun/walk the wifes dog gun, several times.

But sales of those 5-shot guns are still stagnant and we have the last 4 examples in our clearance case. We will not be carrying them anymore. They just don't sell. And they take up space that could be used for guns that do sell.

Like G43s, G43XS, PPS, Ruger EC9, P30SK, VP9SK ect. No doubt there are folks who feel well armed with a 5-shot J frame or LCR. But I am not one of them. BUG use only........and my 442 really doesn't do ANYTHING better than my 8-round S&W CS9. Except.......live in the center console of the car when I am driving. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
If you need more that 5 rounds, you're in a real shitty situation.

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Fair enough, as far as it goes - but semiautos still make recoil easier to deal with, and the reliability gap isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If you need any rounds, you're in a shitty situation.

If the fact that you are pulling a gun and shooting at an armed attacker (or attackers) doesn't scare them off, and you have to rely on the hits you get from a a five rounds snubby to actually put down an attacker before they can use their weapon on you, you're already in a compromised situation.

quote:
Originally posted by JR78:
If you need more that 5 rounds, you're in a real shitty situation.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The shop where I work sells a LOT of block, but we are the only Blue Label dealer within a couple of hundred miles. We also sell a goodly number of small revolvers, especially Ruger LCR's.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I think people who don't appreciate what a J-frame can and can't do usually don't carry often.

It's not the end all be all, but it has its uses (pocket / jacket pocket carry / ankle / etc).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post