Posts: 107614 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Something disappeared.

Posts: 107614 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I decided my opinion was not needed. I think if you are scared of inserting a hammer fired gun into a holster because you think you might shoot yourself my input isn’t going to fix the issue. Besides which I just pulled a P01 out of safe to test if the beavertail inhibited riding the hammer while I holstered and I can’t even begin to understand his dilemma. My wife says I should argue less on the internet though so I deleted it.

I used to carry a LEM trigger HK, I rode the hammer on that as I holstered. Made sense on that gun. On hammer guns it doesn’t make sense to me. I also treat bolstering a gun as an event that requires calm steady inputs unlike the plethora of internet videos where it seems speed is their priority.

Edited to not step on my dick: I reread the post. Now I think you are saying you actually like to manually lower the hammer instead of using the decocker. If that is what you meant then I am speechless. If you want to manually lower the hammer why the F would you buy a decocker version instead of the safety version they sell (75 compact)?

Anyway, I’m off to use my slightly larger P01 (SP01) in a steel match this morning.

Posts: 7507 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
With decocking CZs, chambering a round and lowering the hammer by means of the decocker starts the hammer out from half-cock. This shortens the DA trigger pull, which would otherwise be quite long. The decocker lowers the hammer in a very controlled and predictable manner. There is a long take-up before the trigger makes contact, which you quickly get used to. You may find the SA pull a little "creepy" or "crunchy." This is because the first part of the pull actually pushes the hammer back a little before it finally falls. "Trigger 'snobs'" won't like it, but this has no real effect on where your bullets go. Think of it as extremely positive hammer/sear engagement. This can only be "fixed" with an aftermarket hammer. I left both my PCR and P-01 alone.
quote:
I went and picked up a CZ PCR Compact today, and I am looking forward to getting acquainted with it.

I think you'll like it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought LEM was a hammer gun.

Anyway, riding the hammer down was taught to me by everyone I've trained under who carried a gun not only on internet. Bill Rogers even calculated the amount of trigger pull force needed to overcome pressure on a hammer of a DA/SA gun.
So, I'll keep doing that on guns that allow me to simply lift my thumb up and go straight over the back of the frame. Your opinion is duly noted.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YVK,

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Although I own a Compact 75D, my preference today would be the CZ P01 as it has a light rail and aluminum alloy frame with the Omega trigger group set.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Significantfacts:
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and input!

I went and picked up a CZ PCR Compact today, and I am looking forward to getting acquainted with it.

Good choice! I've got a steel Compact and though it's nice to have the ability to carry "Cocked and Locked", the weight led to a later purchase of the PCR (alloy frame DA/SA with a decocker). Both of these went to CGW and I can't speak highly enough of the great work they did on the triggers! I had the Defensive Pistol Package done by them and couldn't be happier. Carrying one of these in a Milt Sparks "Summer Special II" is a great way to CCW if you (like me) prefer IWB.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10199 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
My first CZ pistol is a 2005 Tactical Sport, and it really spoiled me, fantastic trigger out of the box and came with optional slide & safety levers and oversized mag release. I liked it so well I bought a Shadow2 ... none of the extras except 3 mags, the trigger is OK but have been considering putting in a CGW upgrade, other than that, handles nice, soft recoil.

Lastly I picked up a CZ75B SA, nice trigger, not compact but not as big as the TS & Shadow2 ... easy to see why it's so well liked.

I don't have & can't comment on any of their polymer or compact offerings, however the CZ75D Compact above looks like a great carry gun!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
My first CZ pistol is a 2005 Tactical Sport, and it really spoiled me, fantastic trigger out of the box and came with optional slide & safety levers and oversized mag release. I liked it so well I bought a Shadow2 ... none of the extras except 3 mags, the trigger is OK but have been considering putting in a CGW upgrade, other than that, handles nice, soft recoil.

Lastly I picked up a CZ75B SA, nice trigger, not compact but not as big as the TS & Shadow2 ... easy to see why it's so well liked.

I don't have & can't comment on any of their polymer or compact offerings, however the CZ75D Compact above looks like a great carry gun!

I am surprised that you didn't get the oversize safety levers in addition with your Shadow 2. Also, if you install a lighter mainspring like an 11.5-12lb, you will be surprised by how much lighter the trigger pull will be. Very easy and inexpensive.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:

I am surprised that you didn't get the oversize safety levers in addition with your Shadow 2. Also, if you install a lighter mainspring like an 11.5-12lb, you will be surprised by how much lighter the trigger pull will be. Very easy and inexpensive.

The Shadow2 stopped shipping with the extended safety a year or two ago. It's built for a pretty specific purpose and none of the serious competitors use the safety and the extended just gets in the way, was just an extra cost most never use.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hate Sigs decocker. I have never found a way to actuate one without shifting my grip. Yep, a matter of preference.

That's interesting...it must be my overly long thumbs, because I am exactly the opposite. The Sig decocker is my favorite as it doesnt require me to compromise my grip at all to actuate it...just a simple downward swipe with the thumb. The CZ requires me to pull my upper palm off the backstrap to get enough leverage to actuate the decocker. The CZ 75 Compact grip contours feel awesome in my hand, but a classic P-Series Sig beats it for ergos in every other way (better trigger, better decock, better slide serrations etc.).

I like the way the CZ shoots, but I don't carry it, and at this point in it's life it's just another gun in the safe, and pretty much exists so that I can say I own a CZ. I actually saw a nice 455 American at the LGS today and I was thinking about taking the 75D out there tomorrow and seeing if they will work out a trade.

Posts: 8575 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alptraum:
quote:

The Shadow2 stopped shipping with the extended safety a year or two ago. It's built for a pretty specific purpose and none of the serious competitors use the safety and the extended just gets in the way, was just an extra cost most never use.

Didn't know that! I received the extended safety in the boxes of both my Shadow 2 and AccuShadow 2, both bought in the last 18 months or so. My newly acquired S2O came with the extended safety already installed, but not with the standard unit, or the torx wrenches. I haven't installed the extended safety on either of the first two pistols and am not sure if I will.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my Shadows cracked its frame and was replaced by the CZ-USA about two years ago. It came with extended safety, just like my first two. I run extended safeties on mine; in Production and Carry Optics I obviously don't use it as a safety. My grip is a bit more consistent with it and it lifts the gun up a tad for table starts. Shadow 2 immediate competitor, Tanfoglio Stock 2, comes with an extended safety and all serious competitors run it that way.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am surprised that you didn't get the oversize safety levers in addition with your Shadow 2.
Also, if you install a lighter mainspring like an 11.5-12lb, you will be surprised by how much lighter the trigger pull will be. Very easy and inexpensive.

Thanks for that ... I may give it a try.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post