SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    14 Years on SigForum, Here's What I've Learned
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

14 Years on SigForum, Here's What I've Learned Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
#7. Bullpucky. .40S&W is still my choice for carry...and practice. 15 years ago I never would've thought or said such, but now I can't imagine what I would be had I not decided to dedicate myself to the caliber. Sure I still shoot plenty of 9mm, but that's like plinking with .22LR.

Indeed.

I find that assertion on the part of the OP to be the most contentious of the lot. Not that .40 S&W is declining in popularity. So has the .45 ACP. And, yes: 9mm ballistics have come a long way. These are all inarguable. And I certainly don't want to be responsible for hauling this thread off on a caliber performance tangent, so I ain't even gonna go there. But I will say this: While the .40 Short & Weak Smile is snappy, it ain't a pimple on the ass of a full-load .357 Mag out of a 4" service revolver.

(Mumbles something about "nancy boys" under his breath...)

Big Grin

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:
Two days ago was my 14 year anniversary on SigForum. I've learned a few things along the way, even though I no longer have any Sigs. Feel free to add or disagree!

1) Yes, you will really buy a Glock. I've owned every size except for a 17L and the G43/48 lineup. They're boringly reliable but they're also light, accurate, and easy to maintain. Also, the aftermarket is fantastic -- I love the Overwatch Precision trigger in my G19, A-Grips, and all the great sights out there. Not everyone will buy a Glock, speaking as a Glock fan.

2) You will also own a 1911. They're hard to carry, can be finicky, and aren't easy to maintain but they're pleasant to shoot, scary accurate, and have more history behind them than almost anything else you or I own. What else do you own that's still the cutting edge of performance after 100+ years? Not everyone will own a 1911. Not a fan.

3) As fun as Sigs are, the Classic ones are dying. I sold mine because I never carried it. The DA/SA trigger was terrible for my small hands. It was heavier compared to my Glock, had a smaller capacity, and I always forgot to decock. The classic SIGs are dying, but the classic 1911 is not. Interesting. Wink

4) Never be the first to buy a new model or accessory. Wait a year or two. It will improve, go on sale, or be discontinued. Nothing is as revolutionary as the marketing claims and if it is, there are kinks to work out. At the end of the day, a 9mm handgun is a 9mm handgun.

5) Optics *are* the future but they're only now getting there. Type 2 RMRs are the first optic that seems to be meeting reliability standards. It took 25 years to get there from the first C-Mores (1993).

6) 9mm has come a really long way. A *really* long way.

7) .40 is dead and we're better off for it. It is the least pleasant pistol cartridge I've ever shot. I'm not a .40 fan, but no, it's not dead, and that's good for folks who like the round.

8) Spend money on a great holster and belt. Your lower back will thank you. I have good holsters and just regular nothing fancy belts.

9) Lights have improved more than anything else. 14 years ago 6P Surefires were king and at 60 lumens were blowing away D-Cell Maglites. The last I checked 1000 lumens seemed to be pretty standard. That's a 16x improvement.

10) The P210 will die again only to be reborn. Maybe it'll be polymer? Maybe striker fired? Who knows. Polymer, striker fired? That ain't P210.

11) SigForum is still the best gun forum on the internet. This sounds about just right. Cool

Got others?

Q

Posts: 26464 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
Ok, I've got #12

SigForum members are a wealth of collective knowledge and are not shy about giving differing opinions. Even if it is recommending I wear suspenders : D

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Bully!!

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding #7, which I concur with emphatically, just today (2/23/19) I went into a pretty established brick and mortar gun shop and saw MANY Sigs and other guns on consignment and yep, 40 S&W.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe add to the list: get the bigger safe.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I'll add:

-MIM parts bad
-You can't have enough ammo on hand
-All makes and models of guns will eventually exhibit some type of failure that someone will post about.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10932 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
No Glocks...have lots of guns. HK, Colt, Sig, STI.
Never even held a Glock and have no desire.

Posts: 151 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the buying a Glock thing.

I have shot them, but it takes a few rounds for me to get on Target as I am always shooting way low to begin with. So, for me to own one and try to adjust back and forth between most other guns and a Glock...not happening.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I'll add:

-MIM parts bad

That one is fast approaching "old wives' tale" status.

A couple quotes on the topic from another forum:

quote:

MIM reportedly is around 98% as dense as wrought iron so it is better than investment casting for strength in small parts. Tensile strength of properly treated MIM parts is close to that of mill forged steel.

quote:

To put a fine point on it, just like every other metal fabrication process, the skill/expertise of the team doing the work means significantly more than the process used. You really can't lump a process like MIM as good or bad. It entirely depends on how it was done.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
#1?, Yeah but I waited until 2019 then bought three of them.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, here is my take:
1.I don't like Glocks but I do love H&K's. Since their price drop there is no reason to buy a Glock unless you like to accessorize like a Barbie doll.

2.I love to shoot 1911's and used them in USPSA. I carry very seldom because I don't like a safety on my EDC. No time for a discussion.

3.One of the first guns I bought was a P226 in .40, over 25,000 rounds without a failure. Although I rarely carry anymore I will never sell.

4. Agree

5.Don't care for optics

6. I agree about 9mm but still prefer .40 or .45

7.I love .40's

8.Agree

9. Never cared about lights on guns

10. Not for me

11. ABSOLUTELY!!! Sig forum is the best.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe you forgot one thing...."get some damn grease!"

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 727 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I mostly agree, but every time I pick up a Glock, I am reminded why I haven't bought one, despite their other, undeniable advantages.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I mostly agree, but every time I pick up a Glock, I am reminded why I haven't bought one, despite their other, undeniable advantages.

I don't care for 'em. As I noted, earlier: I've owned two. The G22 just got traded toward my 1911. I liked the idea of it. What's not to like about 15+1 rounds of .40 S&W goodness, plus another 15 rounds in a spare mag? Low maintenance. Takes abuse and keeps on tickin'. Always figured if I was going to have one TEOTWAWKI sidearm: That would've been it.

Except I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with that thing

So, finally, after spending the last decade or more in the safe it was time for it to go. It was not an easy decision, but I don't keep safe queens.

Conversely: I have a G34 I can shoot like gangbusters. I don't love that gun, but I can't argue with the results I get from it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Regarding #7, which I concur with emphatically, just today (2/23/19) I went into a pretty established brick and mortar gun shop and saw MANY Sigs and other guns on consignment and yep, 40 S&W.

I'm a 40 fan and not far from Alexandria. Which gun shop? And, what Sigs did you see there?

Dum Spiro Pugno

Posts: 174 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Caneau,

Thanks for the thought-provoking post - and the variety of thoughtful replies. This is why I try to stay on top of this Forum.

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:
Two days ago was my 14 year anniversary on SigForum. I've learned a few things along the way, even though I no longer have any Sigs. Feel free to add or disagree!

1) Yes, you will really buy a Glock. I've owned every size except for a 17L and the G43/48 lineup. They're boringly reliable but they're also light, accurate, and easy to maintain. Also, the aftermarket is fantastic -- I love the Overwatch Precision trigger in my G19, A-Grips, and all the great sights out there.

2) You will also own a 1911. They're hard to carry, can be finicky, and aren't easy to maintain but they're pleasant to shoot, scary accurate, and have more history behind them than almost anything else you or I own. What else do you own that's still the cutting edge of performance after 100+ years?

3) As fun as Sigs are, the Classic ones are dying. I sold mine because I never carried it. The DA/SA trigger was terrible for my small hands. It was heavier compared to my Glock, had a smaller capacity, and I always forgot to decock.

1) I have no interest what so ever in a Glock. Never owned one and have no plans to consider one. Even though they're as common as manure in a barn, seemingly everywhere.

2) I have no interest what so ever in a 1911. Never owned one and have no plans to consider one. Though I'm very glad people like them.

3) The Sigs I still own are my P229 and P239, both in 357Sig. I recently sold my P220 in 45ACP. All three of these were purchased a long time ago. Nothing else in the Sig catalog has ever interested me enough to make a purchase.

4) I spend a lot more time with my 10/22, Mark II's, GP100 and Henry lever action rifles.

5) Every brand specific forum I'm on or have ever been on have all been excellent. From motorcycles to ministry to guns.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 233 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
7, 8, and 11 are very true

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 884 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
Guess I'll jump in...

1. Did buy a black block once, the front sight broke, the guide rod shattered the first time it was disassembled and the grip angle seemed something designed for a Gorn. Sold it and never look back.

2. I just posted a story about my only 1911. For many reasons, I dearly love it.

3. Classic P Series are not dying, but they are receding into that place where classics go. Back bench, maybe. But there are way too many folks who've carried, shot and put their lives on the line using P220's, P226's, P228's and P229's. I think now they've become the pre-lock S&W revolvers of DA/SA world, especially the West German models.

4. You are correct.

5. Red dots sights, reflex sights, whatever. Have no interest.

6. While the 9mm is better than it was 20 years ago, it is *not* the equal of higher power, bigger rounds. Sorry, but I just don't drink the FBI's "gel test" Kool-Aid. They are the loudest prophet of "The 9mm is just as good now as (fill in the black with every other caliber)" but I simply just don't believe that.

7. Yeah, the .40 is fading faster than Kevin James' film career. I remember when it came out and I kinda understood the logic, but it never caught on with me. AFAIK, the .357 Sig put it to bed along time ago. Yeah, it's fading too, but in terms of the newer late 20th Century pistol cartridges, it was a far, far better round than the forty. Out of respect, I won't publicly scoff and chortle here at the .45 GAP....

8. Again, you speak truth.

9. Absolutely. Having to enter a house on a search warrant will teach you that weapon lights today are (quite literally) light years ahead of where they were and I love it. Even small pocket lights that operate on one AA battery run circles around what we had 10 years ago. Thank you, wizards of technology, for that.

10. Only shot a buddy's P210 once and I got worse hammer bite than any Browning Hi-Power ever gave me. But it seems there's a cult out there for them. It's not for me, but more power to those that do love 'em.

11. Love the knowledge here, and most everyone is gracious and responsive. A far cry from the YouTube comment section of most firearms videos. Guys like 12131 make it worthwhile.

Bonus:

12. I very much appreciate that Bruce Gray and Sig themselves read these pages. I doubt S&W or Glock really pay attention to what their buyers say, but from what I've read, it seems the folks here are at least heard by Sig to a degree.

Posts: 808 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post